Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #1  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Default Considering breast implants.....eeek!

I never had large breasts even when I was at my heaviest. I started out as a 40c and 101 pounds later I'm in a 36c (according to the vic secret lady) and now those are starting to feel a little roomier in the cups. I don't know quite how to explain this properly, but I'm going to try!

With a bra on, (a pushup bra) my breasts look pretty nice. Naked, however they look like deflated balloons. There is absolutely no fullness in the top area anymore. I can feel my pec muscles all the way down to the nipple area and then there's some mass, but it's all droopy. No fullness on the sides either it's all at the bottom. I've never been self conscious about my breasts before...NEVER. And now I feel like a flat chested beast. I'm still about 25 pounds from goal and I'm scared they will get even smaller! I still have the 25 lbs of excess fat on me and my breasts look totally out of comparison to the rest of my body. It's actually depressing me. I've been struggling immensely recently with my food and not exercising and I've finally realized it's cuz i'm so down about my boobies. That's no excuse though, I need to get my butt back on track!

Anyway, I guess my question is has anyone else had this problem? Did anyone get breast implants, and if so, how did that work out? Any issues? How was the recovery time? Are you happy with your breasts now? And how costly?

My husband hasn't said anything to make me feel this way. He understands it's a perfectly natural part of losing weight and is supportive, but i just feel....crappy! I feel like less of a woman or something....GAH! I hate this....
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm moving your thread to the body image forum

My take on beauty in general is that we are presented with all sorts of images of how we should look. We should have flat bellies, perky, firm breasts, tight, uplifted butts, etc. The truth is the only people that have that are airbrushed models.

Now having said that, gaining weight and losing weight can take a large toll on our bodies. I have saggy skin and my breasts are far from the media version of ideal. Some of it makes me angry, some of it I just figure whatever.

I'm not sure where I'll be when I lose 60 more lbs. I am definitely a candidate for skin removal but would I do a breast implant? I'm not sure. I think if I had enough to fit in an AA cup, I'd just go with it and flaunt my slim chest. I wouldn't have to worry too much about plated armor type exercise bras.

I think you just have to do what you feel is right for you though. I'd say go ahead lose the 25 lbs and see how you feel. Do some online research and have a consultation with a plastic surgeon.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/157 (briefly) 170-180ish

Height: 5"9

Hey EvilHaelf,

I am in much the same boat as you...have done quite a lot of research - there is a good site you should look at called makemeheal they have a really good message board and lots of before and afters.

I think I am just going to go for it....I didn't want implants and just wanted a lift, even though I am very small, but 2 x consults have told me there wouldn't be enough tissue for a lift - you might be a candidiate though, as your bra size is bigger than mine. the downside is that the scarring left by a lift is much more severe...

I would wait to get anything done until you are the weight you want to be, but no harm in organising a consult in the meantime I suppose...

I think the average cost is anywhere from $3500 up to $8000

Good luck making the decision
Ellie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #4  

Hi Eve,

My wife was considering getting implants after her lumpectomy, but her doctor strongly advised against it because it would make finding any future tumors much more difficult. You should probably take that into consideration, especially if you have a family history.

Robert
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #5  
Workin' It

I feel your pain, too. I ended up at a 34AAA, and got breast implants. I went larger than Meg, got 500cc. I currently a 34DD and I feel like they are nicely proportional with the rest of me. I had a similar experience as Meg, the same recovery time, etc. I have had no complications and am totally happy with them.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #6  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Thanks everyone for the support and advice.

It will certainly be a while before I would be getting the implants. I am going to get to goal and see how I feel. That and I will need time to save up for them! I don't want big boobs either, I just want them to be fuller and not look like deflated saggy things...lol.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

My mother just had both of her breasts removed due to breast cancer and I have cysts in mine which I need to keep an eye on so I will not be getting implants even though there is a lot of sagging

My sisters both have implants and while one has had no problems the other one is going back for her 4th surgery I believe because she has had problems with them.

I know of a woman who missed a lump which turned out to be cancer because of her implants.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/See ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I've been investigating implants along with a tummy tuck. At first I was thinking 'why not' on the implants, but I've been to one consult and done some additional reading...and now I'm leaning toward 'no'. Just yesterday a surgeon told me that silicone gel implants require periodic MRIs to check for damage to the implant because the gel won't come out like the old ones. The FDA is saying every 2 years, but he says surgeons think that's ridiculous and are recommending MRI's more like every 5 years. And, they will fail. At some point (unless you die early), you'll have to get them replaced or removed. Since he said life expectancy on gel implants is about 20 years...do I want to guarantee myself another surgery when I'm 60? I have no idea what my health will be like then. Saline implants fail even sooner. And your body produces scar tissue all around the implant to 'protect' you from the foreign object, and it can keep adding to it for years. So even if things start out okay, that doesn't mean it will remain okay.

I'm like you...in a well padded, push up bra, I look just fine. Naked is a completely different story. This is definitely a tough, personal choice. For me, I think I'll go with the tummy tuck and liposuction soon, as that's my priority issue, and I'll wait to continue pondering the implants.
Succeed09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

Im still only 16, so they still might grow,
but I wear a 34B, they used to be bigger, but definitely shrink with the weight loss...
I would never conisider implants, I'm more into natural and true beauty, I guess? Plus...aren't they hard?...
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Megan - in my opinion you are definitely too young for implants, yes. But to answer your question, no they aren't hard. Mine are actually quite soft.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Megan, I was a 34B at this dress size when I was 16. I'm now 26, and I'm a 34C. Give your body time to mature! Plus 34B is certainly not small on a small frame.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote