Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default To those that lost it all and then gained it again.

Is it just me but......
when you've lost it all you feel great everything is fine but as it starts to slip you don't feel worried. unlike those slim people you see in resturants shuffling a leaf of lettuce around a plate and not eating desert terrified they'll add a single pound did you also feel like me that a few pounds was nothing?

i knew i was getting bigger but it never seemed a big deal i was always like its fine i'll just lose it again like it before no drama. however the 5-15lbs in the first few months turned into 105-115 and now i'm like S**T! i just sort of crept up on me which is weird because i don't feel like i'm at 322 again.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I have never lost it all, but I'm going into this knowing that I will have to do all the same things I'm doing right now for the rest of my life in order to maintain my loss. So one of my big factors is making sure that I'm building sustainable habits. I don't mind that the weight is coming off a little more slowly - for example, I know if I did a strict low carb plan, I'd be losing much more quickly. But that is not sustainable for me (plus I feel like crap while on it). I'd rather work on developing great habits that I can live with forever. So I don't shuffle a piece of lettuce around, but I do make choices about what I can have - like when I went out to a restaurant this weekend, I thorougly enjoyed my piece of steak but I skipped alcohol and dessert to make sure I stayed on plan. That's a tradeoff I can live with!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

I know what you mean. I had surgery and lost 200 pounds in 11 months 10 years ago. Got down to 118 pounds, kept it off for 4 years then gained it back in the last 6 years. Yep, every 10 pounds or whatever gained, i'd think I'll lose it like I did before, no worries. Well, now here I am over 300 again. *sigh*
I'm changing my eating habits for good now and will count calories even after I lose the weight this time.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

Height: 5'6

I weighed 220 my Junior year of highschool and by the time I was 20 I was down to 130 pounds. Now, I'm almost 23 and I'm back up to my highest weight. I HATE it. And just like you said, I never worried about it once I got to that weight. I knew I could maintain it because I had a very physically demanding job AND I'd hit the gym everyday on top of it. I was doing fine and dandy! Then I got a promotion to a desk job working weird hours that didn't allow me time for the gym...and I went from being super active to sitting all day every day and I gained it all back.

I hate it, and in turn it makes me hate myself for getting to this point when I had passed my goals in weightloss before. It sucks! I don't have the energy or motivation I use to, I refuse to cloth shop because I don't even want to think of the size I wear, where I use to stride in the gym with confidence I now wait till it's near empty before I enter....

I think when I was fat before my weightloss, it was easier to deal with because I didn't know anything else. But now that I'm fat after being thin...ugh, I don't even like to be looked at.
StuffedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #5  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Yep, I know what you mean. I didn't freak out as much about the first 5 lbs or 10 lbs. The first time this happened, I didn't even freak out as much about the first 20 lbs, and so on. The second time, I started to freak out. 10 lbs didn't worry me as much, but by the time I hit 15-20 I started to see a major difference in the way I looked and the way I felt and I realized if I didn't start losing weight, I would keep gaining weight and go back up to my highest weight and then either have to lose it AGAIN or skyrocket beyond it. I had already had to lose the same weight a 2nd time because I gained it back, and I didn't want that to happen for a third time. So I got back on plan and am staying on it. That experience has taught me to be much more vigilant about my weight. I used to think 20 lbs was "nothing", considering I had 135 lbs to lose. I realized that it's actually quite a bit of weight. Now, 5 lbs is my 'cut-off', should I ever start to climb back up.

I think some thin people, thin women in particular, fear being overweight and that's why they're so vigilant. Their approach to it annoys me sometimes but there is something to be said about not letting one binge turn into 5, or 1 lb turn into 10.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I lost about 40 lbs twice and regained it all plus more. And I also struggled with a 30 lb regain this time around.

For me the BIG red flag is when I stop weighing daily. I start skipping the scale... for weeks. To me THAT always means I am gaining, big time. If you have to watch it inch upwards day after day it makes you more likely to put on the brakes sooner, IMO. Also if you get rid of all the "too big" clothes and stretch pants, you can't gain much without really being uncomfortable...
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #7  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

The first time I lost weight and regained about 10 lbs it didn't seem like a huge thing. Yea, it sucked, but I could get 10 lbs off again... Well, 10 lbs turned into 50 before I knew it... and ended up turning into 100 lbs before I got a hold of myself. I had gone from 190 to 158 and then all the way up to 268. That definitely won't happen this time!
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #8  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I had lost 40 on weight watchers and gained back 50. The first 5 lbs were like ok - we will get it back together next week then next week came and went and I sort of gave up. I have decided this time will be different. Scale stays and I will continue to track my food and weigh forever if I have to!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #9  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Well fairly interesting results this would make a cracking research study for someone. As for sustainable I was losing through exercise and a series of long injury layoffs stopped my training dead and habit broken
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 321/315/175

Height: 5'10"

I have never lost it all before. I've always lost 50 or 60 pounds then I've gained it all back and then some. I am determined this time to not let that happen because this time I am not just losing weight for vanity but for my health as well. I have heard that losing and then gaining it back (yo-yo dieting) is worse than being fat.
deblep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 405/216/205

Height: 6'4

Slim did you keep your big clothes cause jumping to a 5x would be a good indicator of weight gain. I went from 385 down to 240 up to 405 down to 215. Most of it was just giving up.
tryhardforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I lost 30 lbs. on Atkins once...then I ate a cookie and gained 45 LOL. Actually, I'd lost 10 lbs -- gain 15 about 10 times in my life and BOOM 320 lbs. geeesh what a waist (heh) of time!!!

it's taken me 2 1/2 years to loose this weight, i've given it away and don't want it back
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #13  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

Height: 5'3"

My first real weight loss attempt, I started at 223 lbs. I lost all the way down to 187 and got comfortable. I had gained up to about 200 by the time I met my SO, 240 by the time I got pregnant, and was 297 lbs the day I gave birth to my son (at a whole 5'2). I can't say anything other than what it is... I slacked, and screwed up! I'm kicking myself now because 6 months after I gave birth, I was down to 240 without even trying and then GAINED IT ALL BACK AGAIN!

I've learned that I HAVE to stay committed, I HAVE to keep on it, and I CAN'T allow myself to get comfortable.
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
Is it just me but......
when you've lost it all you feel great everything is fine but as it starts to slip you don't feel worried. unlike those slim people you see in resturants shuffling a leaf of lettuce around a plate and not eating desert terrified they'll add a single pound did you also feel like me that a few pounds was nothing?
I didn't think a few pounds was nothing, but it's like I didn't realize I was getting out of control again until I had to buy bigger jeans. I just wasn't paying attention to my body. There was some turbulence in my life and things got really out of hand before I was able to pick myself up and start again.

I know what you mean about not feeling like what the scale says. I'm starting to feel really good now and it's only when I pass a mirror and catch my reflection that I'm taken back. The number on the scale bothers me, but it's not real until I'm sideways in front of a mirror.
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #15  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Well, the first time I lost 40lbs or so I did it by going out and dancing, drinking, doing drugs and generally not eating. I gained it all back plus about 45 or 50. This time... I'm doing it the RIGHT way (eating right!)... and it's become a lifestyle. I couldn't bear going down and being so happy like I was then (and now) and then gaining again..... it'd kill me! I was so effin miserable when I gained all that weight back! I HATED myself.... living in my body and skin just felt darned uncomfortable.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote