Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Default Itching while Exercise?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I just read a thread here on swollen, itchy hands while exercising. It reminded me of a challenge I have when I exercise that I really want to overcome!

My stomach, legs, tush, and sometimes other areas itch like the dickens sometimes when I exercise. It seems to start happening when my body gets hotter and possibly when I start sweating? This seems to be worse for me if I'm out exercising in cold weather. It makes me want to stop and scratch, scratch, scratch! It really sucks because exercising is a good thing but I feel like my body is punishing me for doing so!

I have other skin problems namely eczema that happens on my lower legs and sometimes my forearms. I guess really my skin is an absolute mess. I've been to the dermatologist years ago about that and this issue and at that time he thought it might be an allergic reaction to body and laundry soap. Since then I use non-dye and perfume and sensitive skin soaps. I still am having all these skins issues though. Because of the difference in the reactions I don't -think- the eczema and these episodes are directly related beyond having sensitive skin.

I should like go to a dermatologist again and will if I can't figure this out. But I like to be informed. Does anyone have any insight as to what may be going on? Has anyone else struggled with this?
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

From this site here:

http://www.epgpatientdirect.org/ecze...s-answered.cfm

Q. Does exercise make eczema worse?
A. Sweating caused by exercise can make eczema worse. Try to minimise sweating by wearing loose 'breathable' sports clothes. Avoid exercise in very hot weather. After exercising have a shower to remove sweat and then apply emollients.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #3  

Thank you, beerab!

I don't think it is directly related to eczema since the symptoms are different. I'm not getting dry, scaly itch spots on my stomach, legs, and tush from exercise. Just the crazy itchiness! But this is really good information to have. It will explain if my eczema gets worse or starts spreading.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/198.4/160

Height: 5'6"

My thighs get itchy when I exercise as well and I do have all sorts of allergies (I don't have any eczema but I do have ridiculously sensitive skin). However it seems to be something that goes away after I exercise for a while. So I usually just push through it and it goes away (or stops bothering me as much).

Last edited by rayosun; 04-26-2010 at 11:20 AM.
rayosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

I used to get this ALL the time! I feel your pain !

What stopped it for me is eliminating soap in the shower. I found a body wash that was all natural and good for sensitive skin. My running coach mentioned it to me. Apparently when I started sweating the sweat would have a reaction to the soap I was using. Strange allergy I know.
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

I used to have the same problem. Especially when I first started exercising. I would get overheated quickly, but not sweat much. But as I got in better and better shape, the problem went away for me. I think it was a circulation/capillary thing for me.

Here's a site:

http://www.fitness-equipment-health....e_running.html
LabMonkeyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/207.2/126

Height: 5'4.5

I have the same issue. Usually it goes away after a few times exercising. It's kind of a burning sensation that usually starts in my thighs, I want to scratch the itch, but it gets worse when I do. I do have horrible allergies and I sometimes develop a dry rash on my neck from sweating. I've found that getting a shower as soon as I can helps. I also wear loose cotton capris.
squishysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcossel View Post
I found a body wash that was all natural and good for sensitive skin. My running coach mentioned it to me.
Which one are you using if you don't mind sharing? I've tried different types of soap but it doesn't seem to be working.

Rayosun, does your problem go away after a while during your exercise session or as you are exercising on a regular basis more?

LabMonkey, thanks for the link! And thanks for all the advice/support, everyone. I don't want to allow this to be a show stopper for me.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

My scalp and legs itch when I start running, my legs get very red too, but not all the time, and my hands swell... I just chalked it up to sweating and blood circulating more when you exercise...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/198.4/160

Height: 5'6"

Now I am exercising more on a regular basis so I don't notice it anymore. But at the beginning I would have to ignore the sensation until it went away. I'd slow down but I wouldn't stop exercising because then the urge to itch gets overwhelming.
rayosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #11  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I have eczema also and it gets a lot worse when I sweat. I just make sure to take a shower soon after working out and make sure I apply my perscription creams or some scent free lotion to the problem areas. I use Dove soap, it seems to be the only one that doesn't bother my skin. I also use an aloe vera body wash from The Body Shop but I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if you can get it in the US. If you can you should try some, it's wonderful stuff, it has really helped to keep my eczema in check especially during the really long really dry winter months up here.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote