Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #1  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Calling All Runners

I have been seriously thinking about adding running to my regular exercise routine. I walk 3+ miles per day and while I feel I get a decent workout, I want more. So my question is this: Besides the obvious 'gasping for air,' what kinds of things should I expect when I start to run? Tired legs? Aching muscles?

Any advice would be appreciated.
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/237/170

Height: 5'8"

I also started out walking, and now I do a warm up brisk walk (5min) then I jog for 3-5min, walk 1-2min for a total of 2-3 miles. The first week, my legs and arms(funny huh!?) were sore, but after that first week I haven't experienced any soreness due to the running. I have avoided shin splints by making sure I stretch very good before and after and by doing the 5min warm up walk. I also try drink 2-3 liters of water a day.
abreezies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #3  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I noticed it a lot in my calves and gluts after I first started running!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

My thighs are sore now, but when I first started running (more like jogging!) my shins would get sore.

just start with intervals: jog for one minute, walk for one, etc. Then when one minute is easy, jog for 2 mins, walk for one, etc.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #5  
Gonna Do It This Time!

S/C/G: HW259/CW192ish/150

Height: 5'7"

I tried running for one semester in college and ended up with shin splints. I was hoping to avoid them.
stillwagontsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #6  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

Stretch really well. Walk 5 minutes fast, then alternate 1 minute run, then one minute walk.... repeat for 20-30 minutes. Listen to your body. Do more when you feel ready. Good luck to ya!
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I have the best luck when I stretch after a run instead of before. I believe it's better to stretch warm muscles, not cold ones.

There are good resources out there, the Run-Walk method that people above have described is a great place to start (Jeff Galloway sells a lot of books touting this method - try the library, as I didn't feel it was worth owning.) Basically, it gives your body a chance to recover from all the stress you are putting on your joints. I have bad ankles, so I focus on ankle strengthening (Stand on one foot and keep your balance.) I felt some knee and ankle soreness, but if it's not a sharp pain, I don't worry about it. If it's intense pain, I rest it.

It was also crucial for me to have good shoes - go to a running store, have them fit you with shoes and don't be afraid to run in them and really try them out. You could also look into a 5K training program like Couch to 5K and RunInspired. At the same running store where you buy your shoes, you could see if they have "fun runs" which are weekly groups you could run with once you get comfortable running a couple miles. Those have been really good for me, and I get a lot of great tips. It's also nice because you see all sorts of people, not just "runners" of the body type you picture in your head.

Take it slow. Three years ago, my major victory was that I ran a whole mile without stopping. Now I am training for my fourth half marathon, and love running. I think it's a cheap, efficient exercise that I can do just about anywhere. Find somewhere beautiful to run, and you'll be in heaven. ( I prefer running outside to the dreadmill.)

Good Luck!!
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote