Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #1  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

Default I am Shocked. Just shocked.

In the last six months I've gained 60 pounds. (Although that's not why I'm shocked. I knew that. )

Today I took my measurements and my "Before" pictures. That's why I'm shocked.

I didn't realize just how YUCK I looked. I knew my jeans didn't fit well. I knew I was chubby. But I didn't think I looked like that.

I'd read somewhere to take the shots without your face. So I did that, I took the photos just above my shoulders. Somehow, disconnecting your face from the photo makes it more realistic.

It's right.

If I hadn't already had the few wake up calls I needed... this was it. I can NOT look like this anymore.
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque View Post
I can NOT look like this anymore.
Better yet, you can not FEEL this way anymore. And you don't have to. If you get on an eating plan and start an exercise plan, you will feel better about yourself every single day. Imagine where you will be one year from now. Something I found amazing is that it is not unusual for people on these boards to lose 70-100 pounds in a year's time. Just to be realistic...how would you feel about being 50 lbs lighter one year from today?

Enjoy the journey! It seems so long in the throws of it, but the clock is going to keep ticking anyway.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #3  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

I know what you mean. I lost 40lbs a couple years ago and then gained it all back plus another 15ish. GAH! Sometimes I wonder how people can stand to look at me all day, but I know that is just my insecurities talking.

One thing to keep in mind: we can do this. A lot of people might think that it is impossible for us, or what have you, but it's not impossible. It is right within our grasp as long as we come up with a plan, stick to it, and have the audacity to never give up no matter how many slip-ups we have.

We don't need to be perfect, we just need to be persistent.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

You know. I'm a BIG believer in the power of pictures. Especially if you can disassociate your face from your body and look at it objectively. This soundsd weird, but about 90 + lbs ago, I had my ex take full body pics of me, front, back, side etc. Took off my face and was horrified. Now, at 35, 2 kids later I know I will never have the body of a 22 yr old. Unless I pay for it, and I'm not above that But I do know I can have the fitness and overall health of any age group I choose. I choose to have the health of a much younger age group. I choose to be around for my loved ones as long as I can. I choose, everyday, exactly what kind of person I'm going to be, when I roll out of bed every morning. Today, and today only, I choose to be a healthy, happy, vibrant person, <who just happens to be carrying around extra weight, affectionately known as my toddler>, but for every -today- that I make that decision, that toddler looses a bit more weight. Sometimes it's a .2 loss, sometimes, like this morning its a big loss. But everyday I can steadily see the progress. You made a great decision today, to make yourself healthier and those of us on this board will support you every single day, even when you slip, we'll be here. And when you celebrate, we'll be here.

Last edited by Angihas2; 04-15-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Jacque-- welcome! Facing the problem is HARD HARD HARD. I was looking at my most dreadful "before" picture yesterday, and it still makes me feel sad.

The good news is that you never ever ever have to go backwards-- from here on in you can go forward-- and it becomes a fun, exciting, and rewarding challenge.

The beginning and the accompanying fear of failure are the hardest part. It gets a lot easier.

I spent 20 years afraid to start because I was so sure I would fail-- now the only thing I wish is that I had started sooner.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #6  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I think we all know how you feel about the pictures... even if we didn't set out to take "before" photos, a lot of us can remember that exact photo... the one that just absolutely shocked the heck out of you because you knew you were heavy but you didn't know you looked like THAT! I have several of those photos.

I've never heard of covering your face but that's an interesting idea. I can see how that would make you more objective about your results.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #7  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

Thanks everyone for your amazing responses!

After my first week "on plan" (my own plan) of eating well and exercising - I am 2 pounds down, but I already feel better. I am enjoying my daily walks. I am finding new foods that I enjoy. And best of all? I know I am making a difference!
Jacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #8  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Congrats on your first week! Stay at it and you will make your way back down. Sometimes we need a wake up call to get back on track!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #9  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post

I think we all know how you feel about the pictures... even if we didn't set out to take "before" photos, a lot of us can remember that exact photo... the one that just absolutely shocked the heck out of you because you knew you were heavy but you didn't know you looked like THAT! I have several of those photos.

I've never heard of covering your face but that's an interesting idea. I can see how that would make you more objective about your results.
Yep, pictures are a reality check.

Jacque, congratulations on your first week! Way to go!!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 284/262/163 5

Height: 5'2,1/4

I have some "before" pictures,to awful to look at must less post.When my sister looked at those pictures she said even the 25 pds I've lost so far have made a visible difference.I'm sure the next set of pictures you take you will see a visible difference to.

Last edited by mandisa; 04-18-2010 at 06:33 PM.
mandisa is offline   Reply With Quote