Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #1  
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

Default Chiropratic Care / Arthritis

I'm 44 years old - and have had lots of stiffness the last couple of years. Esp. when I lay down to read to my kids - it takes awhile for me to stand up and then I'm very stiff. Finally saw a chiro that my neighbor suggested and he is wonderful. My x-rays did not look so good and arthritis has already set into my neck...I was so numb I didn't even listen to what he said about my back. I know there is inflamation but I didn't listen to much else due to being in shock at the sad shape of my bones at 44. He said "not all" of it is due to weight but we'll never know will we?
He said a pool would be good for me so I guess I am going to have to brave a bathing suit at the YMCA - I am hoping to go at 5am M-F when they are not crowded - don't know what I'll do - 'cause I can't swim laps - I guess I will just get in the water for 30 minutes and do who knows what.
Just curious if anyone else saw a chiro or had the same issues?
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #2  
I can do it !!!!

179 people view and not one person posted - my posts rarely get any feedback. Thanks for the NON support folks, I'll use another website from now on.
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

2bthinagain ~ honey, please don't take that so personal -- it's not what you think ... I haven't been in here for 2 days, as we've been very busy. I will answer anything I think I can give support to, even though I have not been diagnosed with arthritis specifically!

Uhmmm .... from my understanding, the viewer numbers you are seeing are by NON-MEMBERS or lurkers! Posting members viewing isn't included in that tally from what I know; and I have noticed that even though I view some threads many times, the viewing numbers didn't go up any higher ...

I do have problems with stiffness, but have not ever seen a chiropractor for that. I have problems that are more injury related: strain to shoulders, plus dislocated right knee, fractured left calf bone, a couple of back disk problems from falls and injury, and if all that isn't enuff, I was born with Spina Bifida and my lower spinal column isn't closed, hence the weak lower back.

So, I can totally relate to the stiffness and soreness (my whole body really) and I do think that maybe just walking or lightly swimming in water might feel good for you. I find resting about 1 hour at a time helps and then stretching and walking a tiny bit helps too. You can also soak in your tub in a "lukewarm" bubblebath each day for some added relief and comfort -- have you ever tried that? Keeping warm (but not too warm) instead of cold helps; the coldness can make you feel stiffer (at least, it does for me).

I also agree with your Chiro-doc: arthritis may be exacerbated by excess weight, but it isn't usually CAUSED BY IT. I am sure that I read somewhere that it is an INHERITED CONDITION. The other thing we have to remember is that as we age, this type of condition becomes more prominent for us all. Muscle stiffness and soreness is partly caused by the aging process as well.

I think that there might be some Arthritis type threads here that you may be interested in reading; and you can "search" for them using the "search" function at the top of the page. There may be some ideas for you there too ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-04-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/215/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bthinagain View Post
179 people view and not one person posted - my posts rarely get any feedback. Thanks for the NON support folks, I'll use another website from now on.

Sorry you're feeling abandoned by the group People will look but if they don't have anything to say on the issue, it can be tough to post a helpful reply. Your question is quite specific.

I have visited the chiro for various aches over the years -- back, shoulder, hip. I've had a total hip replacement (talk about a weight related issue!). Chiro said, in the nicest possible way, that many back issues can be traced to poor abdominal strength (yup, that'd be me) and to top it off, I have sleep apnea (an issue also exacerbated by weight) YIKES!

Bottom line -- lots of physical complaints are made worse by weight issues. For some, the physical complaints are a motivator. Then for the rest of us ... somehow the physical complaint isnt motivating at all.

As for going to the pool -- try just walking in chest deep water. Shallower will put more stress on joints. Swing your arms a little under water. If you're feeling shy, keep repeating to yourself "I don't know these people and dont' care what they think!"

Good luck
jessy 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #5  

This is my first day in 3FC in ages. I have arthritis in my spine and in my knee. I have taken several water aerobics classes at a local YMCA. It really has been good for me. In fact, I've improved so much, that I have gone on to tackle other classes at the Y. In the classes, we walk, skip, jog in the water. Stand at the side of the pool facing the wall, hang on to the wall, and kick your legs toward the rear, then kick them side to side, turn around with back to the wall and kick forward. There are so many things that you can do.

I hope you come back to the site because there are people here who care. The ones you needed to hear from just weren't on after you posted. Take care!!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

2Bthinagain, please don't get upset that your posts aren't answered right away. Alot of people come and go on this site. I visit sometimes daily and then take weeks off at a time (not recommended cause I fall off the good behavior bandwagon).

I have arthritis in my hands and knees.............warm water really helps. When I get to aching I find that a nice long soak in the bathtub works wonders. I've also found that by losing weight I no longer have issues with my knees. I can't say that my hands have shown the same improvement but its not as bad as it was when I was overweight. BTW I am 45.

I have never been to a chiropractor. My husband has and to be honest, it was only short term help for him. As soon as he doesn't go anymore....he is back to where he started. No actual cure.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote