General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 08:43 PM   #1  
LadyV

Height: 5'0"

Unhappy Very, very depressed

A, re-announcing of myself. I was born and raised in Daytona Beach and now, for the last 20 years or so, call Louisville Ky home. I have always had a weight a problem, but always managed to keep it down "just" enough (in need of loosing about 25 pounds, but I carried it really well) to get by being the lead singer of a fairly successful alternative rock band. I always figured that as long as I was lucky enough to have my mothers genes and not look my age, I'd continue the music I love so much. Well, I didn't count on the "other" side if getting older, I just couldn't keep up like I used to with work AND the band. I get tired quicker for one and don't really enjoy it as I used to and now want to spend more time with my grandchildren. Well, I remarried (4th and LAST time), and gave up the band. I have now in the last 3 years of re-married life, gained 40 pounds, add that to what I had and I AM FAT! There's no more practice, setting up equipment, tearing down equipment, playing out.....I'm not moving like I used to! I tried the Atkins diet, and I DID lose a little on it, not like some of the others though! It seemed as if I gained it back as soon as I ate a carbohydrate, I did the WW thing and it was awful trying to calculate points on everything that went into my mouth! I am SO lost about this I don't know what to do! I truly want to lose this weight and have no where to turn!. . I have three sons and 4 grandchildren. My interest include, but not limited to, ancient Egypt, Metaphysics, computers, and ANIMALS! I work at an animal resort and love ALL animals! I am 47 years old, born October 20th 1954 (makes me a Libra on the cusp of Scorpio, Capricorn rising, Scorpio in Mars, Mercury & Venus) I share my home with 4 dogs, 3 cats, 4 ferrets, 13 domestic pet rats, 3 pet tarantulas, a 5' iguana, and a bird. Oh yeah, and 1 husband with a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) that is very difficult to live with, and also invokes "emotional eating"....HELP

Last edited by LadyVatrovia; 09-05-2002 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:59 AM   #2  

Lady, you didn't say anything about getting some exercise in after leaving behind all your activity with the band. While exercise alone won't take off the pounds, it will help with the depression.

And a diet plan alone won't help when it comes to the long term. You need to find a way of eating that will last a lifetime, otherwise you'll just find yourself back where you started, or even heavier, when you stop dieting. Many people find it easier to take small steps in changing their eating habits -- cut back on simple carbohydrates (sugar!), drink more water, cut down portions, that sort of thing. It will take longer to get the weight off than a crash diet (which, if you do your research, eventually stops working anyway), but in the long run you'll be more likely to keep it off!

Good luck!
Pen
Old 09-06-2002, 10:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/194/140

Height: 5'7

You are going to feel great when you start eating better and exercising. Please feel better and you always have the forums to keep you inspired. Best of Luck!!!!!
Old 09-06-2002, 10:54 AM   #4  
Mel

Default A suggestion

Hi lady V- I was where you are exactly a year and amonth ago, and precisely the same age. My salvation was "Sugarbusters" which is not a low carb diet like atkins, despite the media's misunderstanding of it. I lost about 40 lbs fairly painlessly following the way of eating (WOE) and have switched over to Body-for-Life, a body building program with much more discpline, excercise,; there are both very active sugarbuster and BFL forums here. I would suggest starting with sugarbusters. It is a really active support group and after you've dropped some weight and regained your confidence, look into Body for Life.

Good luck, mel
Old 09-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #5  

Angry

Hi Lady V.

I can so empathize with how you feel. Been there many times myself. Walking in the park for the last four months has really helped me a lot with my weight and depression. Something about being out in the air with trees around and the sun on my face lifts my mood. I come home and my problems seemed to be smaller and more manageable. Maybe it is just the change of scenery. So now instead of making losing weight my main goal, I am now concentrating on how to increase my mileage from week to week and experimenting with different walking work-outs. Losing weight has been a wonderful side benefit.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Sel

Last edited by Trinidad; 09-06-2002 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:15 PM   #6  

Actually, Sel, exercise releases endorphins which are a natural anti-depressant -- a therapist once told me that and suggested walking even a little bit during my lunch hour might help. But you're right, the change of scene -- especially when the scene is so pretty -- probably helps a lot, too!

Pen
Old 09-07-2002, 02:27 PM   #7  

I never really had a weight problem as an adult. I would gain some winter weight but always shed it easily in the spring.

Then I quit smoking, quit working full time and turned 40. I gained 50-60 lbs (I stopped looking at the scale at 50 lbs but know I gained more after that) and was DEPRESSED for a long time. I tried everything and nothing worked. I started early perimenopause (around 37) and my hormones fluctuated wildly. It took me the past 5 years of trying different things to realize I do need to exercise six days a week (and I don't WANT to and don't have time a lot of time) and watch what I eat.

I tried everything and found the Body for Life type eating plan to be the best. Small balanced meals throughout the day keeps me satisfied. Short sessions of intense exercise get the blood flowing and burn the fat. I STILL suffer with incredibly slow progress and some days I get depressed at how slow it goes...but it goes. Check us out on the body for life/body building thread! However, if that's not for you, find something that is and stick with it and definitely start an exercise program!
Good luck!
Susan
Closed Thread