Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #1  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Default when to stop eating?

For the past few days, I've been having trouble getting over 1200 calories by the end of the day. I know I need to eat a bit more during the day, but when this happens and it's only a few hours til bed time what should I do? Is it best to leave it where it's at or to have something to up the count? Today for example: I was only at 1067 and it's about 2 hours til bedtime. I had a casein protein shake with milk instead of water just to add up some calories. I don't like to eat right before bed because when you're asleep your metabolism slows down a lot.

What do you ladies do to make sure you are eating enough?
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/150/150

Height: 5'6

I add nuts and fruit salad to my diet if I'm lacking in calories (I plan out my meals starting in the morning, so I know what my calorie count will be).
Like tomorrow, I am planning on eating oatmeal for breakfast for 320 calories.
Then I go to the gym, come home and eat lunch around 12:30. For lunch, I'm going to have a turkey sandwich w/spinach, special k crackers, and a pickle for 250 calories.
My snack will be around 3pm and will be a LARABAR for 190 calories.
Dinner will be cocktail shrimp and rice for 300 calories around 6pm.

I frequently eat meals in the 300 calorie range. My stomach has shrunk and that is what fills me up now. I eat unsalted nuts if I find myself falling below 1300 calories, or I eat some fruit.
Andreaislosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I also plan my day in the morning and add up what I'm planning to eat ahead of time. That way I know if it's too little or too much and how to adjust. I seem to be hungrier on the days I exerccise more, so I add a snack sometimes accordingly. If I change and eat more or less or different, I just adjust my journal, which I actually just keep open on my laptop. You can eat a piece of fruit or some veg and yogurt...those are pretty easily digested, I think. And make sure you know if you need more food before cutoff time.

You'll get it figured out!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I another who plans ahead of time. I know in the morning what my calorie count will be for the day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #5  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Thanks everyone. It does make a lot of sense to actually add up everything ahead of time just to make sure I'm having enough. I also like the idea of adding nuts or fruit when I'm low.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #6  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I believe in letting my body decide on whether I am eating enough or too much. Calories are a calculation, not an absolute that the body recognizes. If you are not hungry, don't worry about it. If you are, then go up to your allotted amount. If I am very hungry, I wait to see if I need more that day than my allotment. It's tricky to be sure it is true hunger and not just my appetite. Our bodies really do know more about our needs than we give it credit for. Hunger is a clue we need to listen to. No hunger, don't eat.
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the idea of trying to add in a bit more food over the course of the day and planning out a day that is going to get you into your target calorie range. But I would not eat just to eat if you aren't hungry, even if your calories are low for the day.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #8  
Batgirl will always win.

S/C/G: 201/197/(190 ST; 145 LT)

Height: 5'5

I have the same problem, and I plan out my food in the morning. But I get busy between class and work and don't always get to eat when I want to. I add up my calories at the end of the day adding up what I actually ate and always end up like 900 range. Sometimes I end up in the 900 range and just am not hunrgy to eat.

I know my stomach has shrunk too because alot less food fills me up.
BatgirlAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #9  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Evel - i worry about you if you are not hungry after only eating 1000 calories a day (when you factor in that you do a lot of running....) you need to eat!!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote