Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #1  

Height: 5"11

Default Am I doing too much????

Hi everyone,

So it has been 3 days since i have officaly started my weight loss goals. As of today i have ran about 3.25 miles a day. I run daily on my tredmill around 4 miles per hour. I was wondering if this is too much to start off with. I am not sore at all nor are my joints hurting, although i am only 22. But out of curiosty, how did you all start. What kinds of exercise did you start off with. I am afraid that i am starting off with too much. please let me know if i am!

Current weight: 255
Goal weight: 175
Weight lost: ?? i am weighing myself every monday, hope to see a change!

Thanks,
I hope you all are doing great!!!

Thank you all for your support!

My calorie intake is about 2000 everyday. I am eating a lot of fruits and vegtables. i am eating a lot of whole wheat and oatmeal. I also am getting a lot of protein from meat, eggs, peanut butter. I am not a fan of fish at all (I live in the desert, lol!). I have cut out all fast food, soda, boxed food, etc.

Before i started my exercise, it was a roller coaster of jogging about 3 miles a week.

Last edited by shann007; 03-18-2010 at 01:41 PM.
shann007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Howdy! You didn't say how much exercise you were doing before, or how much you are eating. In general, if you are comfortable with your level of activity and not having soreness too much from it, and if you are eating a healthy and well balanced diet with plenty of calories to support the exercise, you should do well. For each person, it is a little different, but I think the best advice is to adjust as needed for your own program. Your body will let you know! Welcome!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

I would tell you to slow it down a little bit. I am very happy for you that you are so excited, but I am worried that you are going to get burnt out. This happened to me. I was going to the gym everyday, doing 20-30 minutes on the elliptical, and then weights every other day. After about 6 months, I got tired of it... My other concern is about your food intake. Since you did not mention your eating plan, I would like to find out more about the kind of foods, and the amounts that you are eating. The point is to create a calorie deficit. But don't create so much of a deficit that your body goes into starvation mode. That would not be a good thing.

You say that your body does not feel like you are harming it, however, after so many weeks of this routine, your body may shows signs of harm. I am 20, and I have joint problems already.

Please understand that I am not saying that you will have the same joint issues that I have. However, I didn't feel any pain until I had been into my program for a month. Make sure that you are stretching before and after you exercise. If you feel pain at all while running, I would suggest you stop.

I am not a doctor, and I have no medical training whatsoever. I have been told by 2 different personal trainers, the owner of the gym I attend, my doctor, and a surgeon, some version of what I told you.

So, exercise as much as you want to. Just make sure that you are eating to match what you are doing, while creating that deficit for yourself. Good luck.
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #4  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

Hey, I am 22 too. I started off about the same weight as you as well. I was working out a lot when I first got started on my weight loss journey. My dietitian made me slow down some.

I would just do whatever you feel is right for your body, and what you feel is working for your weight loss. My only concern is will you be able to maintain that level of activity? You may want to slow down just a bit so that you don't injure yourself too. I have learned that it is really a combination of food and exercise that is needed for weight loss.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Just remember that your food intake, (calories in) is about 80% of the equation. A person can easily wipe out all calories burned (from walking a few miles) with one piece of cake. How many calories are you eating? A little over 3 miles a day at 4 miles per hour doesn't seem too extreme for a person your size and age.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 03-18-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #6  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I started off walking, but I am a bit older than you. 4 mph on a treadmill is not excessive--it's a slow jog/fast walk for me.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/252/175

Height: 5 ft 9 in

Looks like we are the same height with the same goal!

I would agree to start out a little slower. That way if/when you hit a plateau you can bump up the excercise to break through it. I started out walking and I have just started running in the last couple months. I really think I have been able to stick with my plan because I started out slow. First I adjusted my eating habits and started to count calories. Once I felt I had a good handle on that, I started adding in the excercise. At first 2-3 days a week and slowly increased to 6 days a week.

Last edited by Heather26; 03-18-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Heather26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #8  
Beautylicious

S/C/G: 148/144/135

Height: 5'6

Hi! As the others said, definitely take into account how much you're eating, and what you're eating, and how you feel after the exercise. When I started running, I was terrified of overdoing it, so I started with a C25K (couch-to-five-kilometres) program. Then I got a trainer at the gym, who suggested I hop on the treadmill and just start running, and see how that went. I found I was able to run for more than 10 minutes, no problem, so I bumped up my workouts a little.
It takes 3500 calories cut or burned (i.e. cut out of your diet or burned via exercise) to lose a pound. So if you cut out 250 cals a day, and exercise enough to burn 250 cals a day, that should result ("should" being the operative word here) in a one pound loss per week.
Maybe post some more info about your dietary habits and where you're at in your fitness? Then it would be easier for people to give advice. Sounds like you're off to a good start with the running
CharlieBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #9  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

My walk speed on a treadmill is 3.9, and my slow jog is 4.5, so I wouldn't say you were going too fast. And an hour/day of cardio is a good amount. If your body isn't sore and tired feeling, then I'd say it was fine doing this amount of exercise.

I'm not sure what your diet is like, and I'm mentioning this just because I added a ton of exercise all at once. I went from no working out to strength training every other day and cardio for an hour 6 days/week. I also kept my calories recorded and restricted between 1200-1300. I was creating a pretty large deficit, one would think I'd lose. I didn't lose half a pound for a month! I was simply not getting enough calories for my activity level, so my metabolism slowed down to conserve my energy. I bumped up my calories to 1400-1600, and lost 3lbs in a week. So just make sure that you're nourishing your body, if you have just started to exercise, it will have to adjust to the new activity level.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #10  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

If you're feeling ok, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But make sure you get you're rest days in, either plan them like every Wednesday and Sunday or whatever or whenever you just don't feel like you're putting all the effort into your workout because you're too tired. Your body needs time to recover and it's is a very important part of the weight loss process. Listen to your body and if you are hungry make sure you are eating enough. Less is not always more and sometimes it can back fire I know it did for me when I started exercising more. I'm one of the lucky ones that has to eat to lose weight...but not everyone is this way and some people have to stick to 1200-1500, like I said just listen to you're body. I was about your weight when I started a little older than you 26 I think and I did start out way slower and worked up to jogging, hiking, yoga and strength training. Just do what you're comfortable with. You don't want to burn out either so keep that in mind. I think the advice you've gotten from other is also very valueable, also WATER WATER WATER! Good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #11  

Agreed we don't have enough information to provide the best answers.

But as a general rule of thumb, if you are wearing yourself out so much that the next day you have a hard time getting motivated to go to the gym out of exhaustion or soreness you are doing too much (at least for a regular workout).

If you can do it and feel ok, then do it. I'm jealous that I can't run 3 consecutive miles yet.
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote