General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #1  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Did you know...?

My mother and I had been toying with the idea of a "diet" coconut cream pie! I don't know if anybody would consider it diet but I think it's a better alternative than the real thing! I will just say that it was divine!! Afterward, we decided to try and figure up the calorie count in the lovely pie! Well, let's see...

Reduced Fat graham cracker crust
sf/ff cook and serve vanilla pudding made with ff half and half
coconut flavoring
coconut
cool whip lite

Based on my calculations, this entire pie came to around 1875 calories which if eaten according to the serving size on the pie crust (1/8) came to be about 234 calories. The calories in a serving of Edwards Coconut Creme Pie is about 460 calories so I would have to say that 234 isn't all that bad. I'm sure the recipe could be tweaked to lower the calories and sugar content. I haven't been able to locate unsweeted coconut without having to actually buy a coconut.

During all this calculating we also discovered that ff milk has 12 gr of sugar per 8 oz cup!! I had no idea. Call me dumb but I never thought of sugar being in milk. Whole milk only has 11 gr. What is up with that? My mother was astonished because here she is giving my dad ff milk thinking that it is helping when in fact he is actually consuming more sugar than most cookies or a candy bar even and he has an insatiable appetite for sweets (much worse since he quit drinking and smoking)

Who knew?? Certainly not me!

Last edited by thinmintintraining; 03-11-2010 at 08:57 PM.
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

The sugar in milk is lactose, it is naturally occurring, and to my knowledge does not have the same affect on blood sugar as "sugar proper"...but idk...I wouldn't worry about the sugar content of milk.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I don't know if this is the case with milk, but a lot of times when something is "fat free" there is a lot of sugar added to keep it palatable after removing the fat.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #4  
Endeavor to Persevere

S/C/G: 386/see ticker/200

Height: 5'7"

Yep, Stella, that is what I have discovered. If something is fat free its usually full of sugar and stuff that is sugar free is full of fat and stuff that has neither of those things usually tastes like junk!!! But I didn't think about the lactose thing.

Who knows! No wonder they say everything in moderation!! You really can't get away from it all

Btw, I'm Stella too nice to meet you!

Last edited by thinmintintraining; 03-12-2010 at 09:37 AM.
thinmintintraining is offline   Reply With Quote