Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/136

Height: 5'2"

Default Surgery Aftermath..

First a little background. I have had three c-sections. After my first c/s I got a hernia. I had the hernia fixed after my second c/s (about 5 years ago). Now that I have lost over 100 lbs the patch from my hernia repair was no longer doing it's job, so last Friday I had it re-fixed. They opened me up, took out the old patch, rejoined my muscles and added a smaller patch for stability. All good.

However, now I am dealing with massive weight gain from all the IV fluids. I have dealt with this before, but not when I cared. I came home from the hospital, got on the scale to see how much I had gained (cause I knew I would) and had gained like 13 lbs. So frustrating to me.

I haven't been eating the best, I know. My pain meds make me feel icky, so I have been eating whatever sounds good. I know this will pass, right? I just feel like this is a huge step backwards for me.

My husband tells me not to worry about it, that it will come back off, but I just need someone other than him to encourage me. Anyone?
loriehohlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #2  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Lorie, I understand the ickiness of the scale. But what your body needs right now to really heal is good, healthy food, plenty of fluids and rest, rest, rest. Make sure you stay on top of the pain by following the pain meds instructions. Try not to focus on the random number generator and more on your health and well being. You will be back were you want to be in no time! And congrats on your stupendous weight loss!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh yes Lorie! Your body needs time to right itself. You've had meds, been cut open ... gently, gently get back to your usual self. Walking, eating nice clean foods, get some fresh air. Before you know it, all that oddness will be a thing of the past!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, it's hard, but deep down you KNOW it's fluid. It's not fat. That scale will be your friend again quite quickly I bet.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/136

Height: 5'2"

Thanks you guys. I just feel so out of control of things right now I guess. I normally do 60-75 min of cardio a day and I haven't been able to do that. My eating is still out of wack. I am trying to get that back on track, but like I said in my OP my pain pills make me feel so crummy I end up eating whatever sounds good and not really what is good for me. I keep telling myself this is just temporary, but I am still very frustrated.

I put in a call to the doctor to see if there is something else I can take. It's been over four hours since I last took a pain pill and I am still feeling crummy from it's effects. Ridiculous if you ask me.
loriehohlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

My mom is a nurse, and when she's dealing with patients going through ****, her theory is that if they want a cheeseburger, let them have a cheeseburger. No reason to make things harder for them. The nutrionists hate her. But most of these people are losing weight unnaturally from being sick anyway.

I'm just curious what foods "sound good"? Our bodies have strange ways of correcting themselves, and you have no idea what it might need that it normally wouldn't. If all you're wanting is fries, then obviously, it's not being very smart. But if your "sounds good, but is bad" is say carbs, then cut yourself some slack. You know most of the weight is from fluids, so don't stress out about it.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Lorie,

I... just wanted to give you a virtual hug. I recently had major surgery and it has been a bit of a struggle to get back to life. In fact, I just passed the 6 week mark and went to the gym tonight for the first time.

Please treat yourself like you would your best friend -- gently. This, too, will pass and those pounds will be off in no time.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote