Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Can my body be getting smaller despite contradictory measurements?

I sort of have a weird problem. I'm not losing any weight, and my measurements are not showing that I'm losing inches, but I could swear that I'm getting smaller all the time. My belly pooch looks tons smaller, the sides of my stomach look flater, my legs seem slimer, and my shirts are all lose...what is going on? And it isn't just in my head, because I've had people ask me if I've lost more weight, which I haven't. Has this happened to anyone else?
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hmmm . . . I'm not how your shirts could be getting loose but your measurements are staying the same unless you're stretching your shirts out in the laundry!

That said, I would ask if this is a skin issue. Maybe after losing initially, you had some loose skin, and it is gradually tightening up as time goes on? I know I had that happen over time.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #3  

I don't think it is skin, thought that could be part of it...maybe things are just shifting around, so parts look smaller, but overall isn't changing....IDK.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

here is a left-field idea (because it happened to me)... are you finally seeing your 'true' self? realising that your shirts are baggy, that you are toning up?

after my rapid weight loss, i still saw myself as that heavy person. i still bought size large or x-large when i am now a medium. in the last 8 months the scale has not changed but i have... i am actually starting to see the 'real' me...
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytobeamomof2 View Post
here is a left-field idea (because it happened to me)... are you finally seeing your 'true' self? realising that your shirts are baggy, that you are toning up?

after my rapid weight loss, i still saw myself as that heavy person. i still bought size large or x-large when i am now a medium. in the last 8 months the scale has not changed but i have... i am actually starting to see the 'real' me...
No, I don't think so. I've been this same weight and measurements for 15 months now. I think I'm just a little nutts..... Though, come to think of it, the parts that I've been noticing are smaller aren't things you really measure...yeah I track my waist measurement, but not my belly...hips, but not thighs.....the shirts could be lose from losing back fat... Maybe I need to get a new tape measure.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #6  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

Just a guess, maybe your building muscle. Muscle weighs more and that's why it isn't showing up on the scale. I tried. lol
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

I've had the same thing happen to me. My guess is that your weight is shifting around a bit and you are getting smaller and tighter in places that you aren't measuring. Plus, it's hard to measure exactly in the same place each time and pull the tape measure to the same degree of tautness each time. It's weird, I know, but I have definitely gotten smaller at times when I didn't see the scale drop or my measurements decrease. It's also frustrating because you want to have the numerical PROOF to back up what you are seeing and feeling.

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #8  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I think you might be getting smaller in places you don't measure, too. My measurements haven't changed in weeks, but my legs are clearly more defined (and looking a little hot!). But, I don't measure the places on my legs that are looking better!
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Exactly, Jeri! I only measure the top, largest part of my thigh, which is the fattiest part. My legs are much more defined and toned and yet my leg measurements haven't changed much at all.

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlady View Post
Just a guess, maybe your building muscle. Muscle weighs more and that's why it isn't showing up on the scale. I tried. lol
Nope, muscle weighs exactly the same as fat. What you really mean is that between the same volume of fat and muscle, muscle is heavier, or conversely, when you look at a pound of muscle and a pound of fat, the muscle is smaller because it's denser. Here's a photo of 5 lbs of each:

WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

EWWWW @ that picture!

You're correct, but it's a quite the visual!

I would say you may either have skin that is tightening or are losing inches in areas your don't measure. If it isn't that, it really could be that your mental self-perception is shifting to more closely match the ideal.

The only surefire way to tell is to compare with something like photographs, where you are evaluating all the data without your mind getting in the way. If you're measuring the same but the photographs look different, something is changing! (and does it really matter what is changing, as long as it's good?)
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlady View Post
Muscle does not weight more than fat. A pound is a pound. A pound of feathers is the same as a pound of cheese. Muscle is denser therefore leading to less space taken up in the body. Fat takes up more space. Muscle just gives you a leaner appearance when you lose fat.
Bb1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:25 PM   #13  

People often mistakenly think that if they're not seeing results on the scale, then they must not be losing weight or making progress. But this isn't always the case, your weight can stay the same even as you're losing fat and gaining muscle, because muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue. So don't be discouraged if the number on the scale isn't budging focus on how your clothes are fitting and your overall energy levels instead.
MrHelpful is offline   Reply With Quote