Shoestring Meals Budget friendly ideas for healthy eating

Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Default True cost is alternative cost

or economics 101

When I first started eating "healthy", I too thought that it was expensive. It is, sort of, but not if I buy almost everything on sale, and most importantly don't buy JUNK. I am trying to look t it this way: a salad and some chicken is less expensive than 1/2 a boston cream pie! We almost never added in our almost daily runs to the store for snacks and desserts when we counted our grocery bill, and now even though we are spending more on "food" we are spending little or nothing on "junk food" or as we like to call it now, "not food".

Also, we don't eat out. Can't afford the calories and a girl can buy a lotta spinach and cukes for the price of a single fast food meal.

I LOVE to cook, and I work at home, so I have plenty of time to figure out how to cook sale food, and ways to make it healthy as well as tasty. We eat a lot of re-worked meals featured on cooking shows. And no BIG portions, neither. No more turning 4 servings into two.

Okay, so I've only been at this for a couple of weeks. But I'm a quick learner, and I'm kind of enjoying the challenge of eating well on the cheap.

So, my favorite healthy lifestyle food mantra is: buy on sale, portion control, junk food costs as much as good food, and eating out hurts my jeans size as well as my pocketbook.

When I'm jonesing for a twinkie, someone remind me that I wrote all this!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/169/145

It does seem that food on a diet seems to cost more.
lyv33 is offline   Reply With Quote