Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #1  
Keep on Walkin'

S/C/G: 320/*Ticker*/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Suggestions for at night????

I do very well all day, eating POP and I dont feel hungry. When it gets late though its like I have a split personality and I have a horrible urge to binge like crazy...and I have very little willpower. Do and of you have some tips for keeping the munchies at bay when it gets late? As soon as my kids are in bed and I get a moment to settle down and watch some TV it's like a battle!
NiftyTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

i am having the same problem, a way to go around it by making sure you plan for an evening snack and by planning it you won't feel bad about having it.

i also find that having something that "sticks" to your ribs works better- for me- than just munching on veggies or fruit.

so i plan for something like melba toast with peanut butter and stuff like that.

tonight i had 3 rice cakes with a portion of light philadelphia cheese two hours after my dinner and i am happy.
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #3  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

When I first started I had a real hard time but I would drink lemon water and that worked wonders. As well, make it your pampering time, take a long bath, read a good book or come on 3FC. Someone is always on and you can talk your way out. I did that too. It got easier for me but every now and then it tries to creep up on me but I just go to bed.

You can do get through it and you will!!!
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Well for one if you really are hungry, then you might not be eating enough during the day.

The other thing is if it's late enough and you have nothing to do- go to bed- I have used this trick before

I also have a planned after dinner snack or some tea with honey
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #5  
Keep on Walkin'

Im not hungry....I rarely am, but tonight I'm going to try to plan for a night time snack. Hopefully that works and Ill try drinking a lot of water. I have thought about going to bed, but at night is my only "me" time, with the kids and all. My bath tub is child size, lol, so even if I was skinny I wouldn't be able to relax in it. Ill just have to find something to keep me busy, maybe I should start drawing again. Thank you all for your ideas! I'll try them all till i figure out what works!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

I am exactly the same way! I have found that if I allow myself 100 calories after dinner while I'm chilling in front of the tv I do much better. I have two small children so it is my only "me" time as well. I also like to de-stress with video games sometimes. Guitar Hero keeps me distracted till bedtime!
Good luck!
Sugar Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #7  
Transforming through God

I have a dear, loving husband who goes to the store for me most days after work and gets a single-sized Edy's vanilla (150 cal) or chocolate ice cream (170 cal). They are only a dollar each, and every day I begin my calories with a deficit of 150 or 170 to allow for this. It feels very indulgent to me, and while on one hand, it may seem like I am not "changing old habits", on the other, I am learning portion control and allowing myself a little "treat" so I don't feel like I am on a "diet". I typically have it later at night, after dinner. Not the best evening snack, but carrots and yogurt ranch ain't gonna do it when Lost is on lol...

He gets me the individual serving at this point because I do not trust myself at all to have a carton in the house and "just have one portion". Love that man

Last edited by MyBestYear; 03-08-2010 at 08:46 PM.
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 315/284/onederland

I eat light early in the day and save the bulk of my calories for later. I'm not very hungry in the morning, but can really binge big at night, even when I'm not dieting. So, I make sure I eat in a way that allows me to have a big dinner and plenty of calories left for snacking. That might not be ideal, but it is the only way I can cope.

Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (140 cal) and No Sugar added Fudgesicles (40 calories) are my best friends. LOL

Last edited by Blairsey; 03-08-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Blairsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #9  
Transforming through God

Blairsey, I do the same thing and lemme tell you it is workin' for me!
MyBestYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:58 AM   #10  
Keep on Walkin'

I tried the eating light during the day and eating more a night, and it seems to be working! I got to eat a nice taco salad for dinner and have a fruit chiller for dessert, love those things and they are only 55 cals. I still have 300 calories left over, so if the munchies start creeping up on me I can go grab 5 dove chocolates for 220 cals and Ill still be good. I love this site! You are all so helpful!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Oh I second the Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches! Oh and I just found them with mint ice cream...so yummy! :-)
Sugar Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #12  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I think this is is a difficult one to address. If the eating at night is uncontrolled, it may be more of an issue than just having a snack or extra meal because one stays up late. Some gear their meals and snacks so that they eat something within a certain time frame, say every 3 or 4 hours. So if you stay up late, perhaps a snack is appropriate. If you are not bingeing after dinner, then a planned snack seems the right way to go.

I ate more calories at night than I did for an entire day for many years. I would even eat in bed, often waking up sick from backwash of undigested food! Gross. What I was doing was creating a "food coma" so that I wasn't dealing with life's issues and anxieties. So eating after dinner for me was not about nourishing hunger.

I gave up eating after dinner completely (and between meals too). I do not eat in movie theatres or parties unless I have planned for it. My only exception is that if I am up past midnight, I may eat if bedtime is going to be really delayed, as we sometimes work nights. I get back to my regular three meals a day the next day.

Giving up the habit of eating in the car, in front of the computer or TV has made a huge difference in the quality in my life. It took a long time to break the association of viewing something and eating, but now I don't even think of it. BTW, I did this when I wasn't dieting, but as a way to break the binge cycles I was going through.

Hope you find the right solution for YOU.
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I'm definately one who can eat all the time. I've found that after dinner I just want something in my mouth chewing. I know I'm not hungry, I think I'm more bored.

So I've gotten to the point I leave the kitchen/family room. And most of the time don't watch TV in the evening. Weekends are my big problem-all that unstructured time I tend to eat a little bit everything all day long.

I do better with no snacks at night. Eat my dinner and leave the area with a big 32 oz glass of water with fresh lime slices.

Good luck finding what works for
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote