Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/238/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Old and Slow

Hello I am new to this site, I am a grandmother age 62 hoping LC is the way to weight loss for me. I also have hypothyroidism. My thyroid was radiated in 1999 and since i have gained in weight 100 pounds. I'm tired and board , and really need help to stay motivated. I also am raising two of my grandchildren who devour anything with sugar. Both teenagers now, have had them since the death of my daughter in 1999.
Hoping there are more here in my age range that I can communicate with.
mzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Hi mzdar and welcome.

I'm close...will be 58 in June...and by the way, there is a 50+ forum here which is great for us gals. I am a HUGE advocate of low-carbing and am close to goal now, thanks to the Atkins diet.

So sorry about your daughter. I lost my 17 year old son in 2005 and truly know how it feels.

Have you done low carbing before or will this be your first time? It's important to know that the first 2-3 days can be a bit tough...while the body burns up its glucagen stores....but after that, it's smooth sailing once your body goes into fat-burning mode. So stick with it through those days and don't get discouraged. Once into fat-burning mode, I could have all sorts of sugary items for my son and his friends and they haven't even remotely tempted me. Atkins caused me to have great appetite control and eliminated cravings....esp. for sugar.

There is also a low-carb diets forum here with a sub-forum for Atkins...if you're interested. After introductions, I basically set up camps over in the Atkins forum and also the 50+ forum....and this has worked out well.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Hi mzdar and welcome.

I'm close...will be 58 in June...and by the way, there is a 50+ forum here which is great for us gals. I am a HUGE advocate of low-carbing and am close to goal now, thanks to the Atkins diet.

So sorry about your daughter. I lost my 17 year old son in 2005 and truly know how it feels.

Have you done low carbing before or will this be your first time? It's important to know that the first 2-3 days can be a bit tough...while the body burns up its glucagen stores....but after that, it's smooth sailing once your body goes into fat-burning mode. So stick with it through those days and don't get discouraged. Once into fat-burning mode, I could have all sorts of sugary items for my son and his friends in the kitchen and they haven't even remotely tempted me. Atkins caused me to have great appetite control and eliminated cravings....esp. for sugar.

There is also a low-carb diets forum here with a sub-forum for Atkins...if you're interested. After introductions, I basically set up camps over in the Atkins forum and also the 50+ forum....and this has worked out well.

If by LC, you meant low-carbing, we share several things, including same age range and same weight-loss plan.

deena

Shoot...I messed up somehow and ended up with a double post. A moderator can feel free to please delete the first one.
Also...for mzdar....are you now on thyroid replacement medication and are your thyroid studies normal now or are there still thyroid/metabolism problems?

Last edited by Deena52; 01-17-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #4  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi mzdar!
I'm sure you've had your hands full raising your grandkids, how lucky you all are to have each other! -sounds like you're ready to take care of you now - the support you need is here.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired. Maybe try the 50+ forum and the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation. Perhaps also check out the Dieting with Obstacles forum to connect with others with the challenge of thyroid problems.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

Last edited by leeway; 01-17-2010 at 08:33 PM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote