Old 01-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #1  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

Question Calorie counting.. how much of what?

Ok so I have been a LA Weight Loss dieter in the past.. but I am wanting to learn more about calorie counting. I posted a question before about CC and if anyone preferred one over the other.

My question now is... HOW? I know you need to add up the calories of what you eat, but are there certain amounts of things you need to eat? Like a certain amount of veggies or fruit?

LA is very limited on how many proteins, fruits, dairy, fats.. and such to eat in a day.

I just want to learn how to do it! Maybe someone could give me examples of what they eat in a day? <---- this is how I feel!

TIA!
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The point of calorie counting is that you just need to worry (initially) about calories.

Now, as you proceed, you'll find out which foods keep you full longer on a reduced number of calories...for me, lean proteins, whole grains, and veggies are all really important. But you start just by counting each calorie you eat. The rest all sort of falls into place naturally as you refine your plan.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #3  
love it or lose it

Thank you mandalinn. I think my problem is that I overthinking it... I am so used to LA and making sure that I eat only 2 1/2 proteins and 2 fruits and 2 fats and 3 starches and so on in a day...

Part of me is thinking that maybe CC would be easier for me in a way since I already know the healthy things to eat. I have no idea how many calories I was eating before. Just wanted to make sure I fit everything in.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #4  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortandfluffy View Post
I think my problem is that I overthinking it....
I think you are. Just pick a calorie target and stay at it. For me I focus on balancing the day. I typically have 2 veggies during dinner, so I make sure to get fruit in SOMEWHERE during the day... even if it's an apple at breakfast or a cup of fruity yougurt with real fruit, etc.
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Ditto on previous posters. Watch the calories and the right proportions will follow. Oatmeal has lower calories than sugar pops, then one realizes it is more filling, and before you know it, filling, healthy start to be preferred.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #6  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

You could always start along the lines of LA but calorie count it. See what you were doing daily and where you were having trouble.

Then you can make changes in things you had trouble with, like including more/less dairy or grains. I, for one, have always eaten too many carbohydrates. By eating significantly more protein, I am able to lose weight much easier and control myself without feeling like its torture.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #7  
love it or lose it

Thank you for the help! I think I may start giving it a try... just trying to figure out now how many calories per day I need to have. I have seen several different suggestions from different sites.