Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/253/199

Height: 5'3"

Default (Soon To Be) Recovering Sugar Junkie

Hi all!

I'm a Sugar Junkie. (If my name didn't give it away )

Joining this site is my first step towards recovery.

I've been "going on a diet on Monday" for the last six months. Every Monday I plan to start my diet. And every Monday, I do great until lunch. Then I hit the drive-thru. Or the ice cream shop. Or the cookie jar.

I'm done waiting until Monday. I've got to stop this cycle. I'm killing myself.

I am 27 years old, 247 pounds. I have a family history of early heart disease (on my paternal family, my grandfather is the oldest member to have a heart attack, he put his off until 55. My dad had his first in his 30's, and my aunt was 29.) I also have a family history of diabetes. And I do not want either. So I need to change this, and change it now.

I decided this tonight while I downed a dinner that would feed a family of 4. Then finished it off with a cake. An entire cake. (Ok, it was one meant for a child's first birthday... but still, I ate the whole thing. )

So here I am. Starting my journey. Not tomorrow. Not Monday. But right now. Right this minute.
SugarJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Good for you!!! You CAN do this and you have come to the best site for support and inspiration.

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #3  
CrazyCrystalcc

S/C/G: 223/223/160

Height: 5'2

Read your post and just wanted to let you know that feel the same way you do. I have the same problems with family medical history that you listed and i have been sayin i am going to start on monday, monday, but they come and go.
I am 5'2 230 hate it, killing me, can walk a flight of stairs without huff and puff (don't smoke) just fat. and i live up stairs. I just wanted to see if you wanted a buddy to talk to or chat with on days that seem rough.. or someone to swap ideas with. just let me if you are interested.
Thanks and hope to here from you soon,

Crystal
P.S. just wanted to let you know that this site is great for support from everyone on here....

Ok the ticker is off by 6lbs its 230 not 224

Last edited by CrazyCrystalCC; 01-08-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: ticker is off by 6lbs
CrazyCrystalCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #4  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Welcome SJ! Good to hear you aren't putting your health on hold any longer. There's no time like the present!
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #5  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

CONGRATS!
I know how you feel, I used to be every monday i'll start. Or I'll do it tomorrow and never get around to it. Admitting you have a problem is the first step...but to move on from there is the most difficult, so congrats!
You're a sugar junkie i'm a pepsi junkie...Has to be pepsi in a can though, bottle pepsi taste different. lol.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/253/199

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!! I've spent a good chunk of my evening (between chasing my toddler) reading posts here. I'm excited to get to know lots of you and be active here!
SugarJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/250?/Happiness

Height: 5'7"

Mine was always "this sunday." Something about having that weekend as a last free time always ended up rolling me onto the next sunday. I finally started (on an actual Sunday!) and finding this site has made me feel like I can do it just reading the support of others. I wish you the best of luck!!
broadwaydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #8  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Sugar!
I think many of us here started all of our diets on (insert day of choice here), that is until we've finally have had enough - how smart to make your priority health, not just a diet or a number - the support you need is here to achieve your goal of a healthier you - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired - you'll be a wonderful addition to any of them. Try the 20 somethings and the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a must for motivation.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you 've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hello from one sugar junkie to another. Sugar is my crack... The GREAT news is that I have found that I can live a pretty good life with out it, (though I admit to the occasional slip.)

I was also a fan of starting on Monday, thankfully I realized that a Tuesday worked well too! When that drive hits, hold on for dear life and use that motivation for all it's worth. Eventually motivation wears out and good old perseverance will have to carry you through!
Keep coming back!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Howdy from yet another sugar/flour/carb-y junkie!

You sound as if you've reached your "limit". That's a great place to be. You sound fed up and disgusted and READY TO MAKE A CHANGE.

Cold turkey. IMO it's the only way to go. I thought, in fact I was CERTAIN of it, that there is no way I could live without "that stuff" and after being fed up enough, miserable enough, sedentary enough, I realized I wasn't actually living so well WITH "that stuff". And I knew it was time. It was time to face facts and do away with it. After a couple of difficult weeks - get through them any which way that you can - it was a LOT easier then I expected. Before long my cravings, desires and wants for the evil, subsided.

It was the best decision I've ever made.

Know that you CAN do this. You absolutely CAN and you absolutely SHOULD. You won't regret it for a single second and you will look back and wonder why you didn't do it earlier.

Set yourself up for success. Commit to "to this" once and for all and permanently. Formulate a plan. And execute the heck out of it. Rid your home of the junk, while ADDing in healthy, wholesome foods. There's a whole world of excellent, tasty, healthy non-debilitating, health inducing food out there - who knew? Get excited. You're about to transform your life. I look forward to hearing of your progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #11  
okie dokie

S/C/G: 238/219/150

Height: 5'7"

You can do it.
Make a plan and stick to it.
dstill88 is offline   Reply With Quote