General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Default Who is having trouble job hunting in '010?

I know the year began but I'm already getting discouraged by the lack of calls. I had two interviews in '09 but didn't get either job. They say the best way to get a job is through networking but I don't know anyone. I'm just looking for a job that suits my interest and skills.

Last edited by BellaLucia; 01-07-2010 at 06:27 PM.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 169/169/145

Height: 5'8"

hey i feel you! i've been looking for a job for 6 months. have had 3 successful interviews but they just want to keep me on the back burner. its tough out there
anna1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

its very rough. i just went through a bad living situation and had to come stay with my mom because i couldnt support myself any longer. every job i had kept cutting my hours. the only way to make it rite now is to have more than one job and i have no time to be picky so im taking whatever i can get!
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

It's tough right now for EVERYONE- it took me a year to get the job I have now and even then I'm making crap pay for someone with my education and experience.

Seriously to get paid I washed dishes in a lab for four months- it totally sucked
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #5  

Thanks for responding everyone. It seems that "beggars can't be choosers" in this age we're living in. May God grant each of us a way to support ourselves, Amen!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #6  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

In the past, while looking for a job in a tough market, I took out the ole' yellow pages, turned to sections I thought would be hiring my speciality and started calling places....
It demonstrates a few things about you to the potential employer.... it shows that you are resourceful, shows you are serious, shows phone skills etc... I asked for the HR dept... they may take the call, ... especially if they are not running an ad... I told them I was taking a different approach to landing a job... get a contact name, fax number...

I've done crazy things to get noticed in the pile of resumes... years ago I was going after a job that I really wanted and FedX'd my resume. I got the job..because they thought I was creative... heck, I was just desparate...lol
Try to think 'out of box'.... the information on "How to land a job" that you find online is great... but everyone is doing it....
Good Luck...

Last edited by Sweetcaroline; 01-07-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #7  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Height: 5'5"

To answer the question that is the title of this thread: Everyone. My roommate and I both have upper level degrees and have been unable to find a job in our field since graduation OVER A YEAR ago. It sucks out there.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I've been job hunting since graduation in '08. I'm substitute teaching but it doesn't pay the rent. I think I wasted a lot of time trying to only get a job in my field. I realy just need to get ANY job that pays the rent at this point. My sister just bought me the book What Color is Your Parachute, it has some pretty good tips. I haven't read all of the way through it yet.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

I left a good job and moved cross-country with hubs -he kept his job, so we're keeping our heads above water. But, it's really terrifying for me, and I attach a LOT of my self-worth to bringing home the figurative bacon, so I'm feeling pretty cruddy.
I've been looking for a whopping month now. I will pick up some part-time work if I can in the meantime, to keep myself sane and build ourselves a wee cushion against - well, life.
Good luck to all y'all!!

thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

hoo boy, my last day of work was 12/31. I applied for unemployment today, and I have an interview today, wish me luck. It's the only call I've gotten so far after applying to about 40 jobs.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

It took my husband nearly a year after we moved here to find a job, and it was rough.

He's been looking for a new job for a while now, but no luck. We're grateful that he has the full time job he does, but he's drastically underpaid (making about half of what most people doing his job would make) and has to commute longer than he'd like. He also has no health insurance (or option to buy it) and no paid time off, ever. He gets holidays off only because his employer doesn't want to pay him time and a half (as is company policy).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #12  

Default Job Interview

Hi, Happy Friday

I have a job interview the week of 1/18/2010! I am so thankful to everyone for their well wishes and support. But most of all, I am thankful to the maker! What a great Friday for me! I can't wait to join the ranks of the working once again. The interview is at Books-A-Million and since I love love love reading, I'll be a happy camper.
I'm good at scoring the interview but how do I close the deal? Advice people, I need advice. I'm pulling out all the stops for this so that means shopping, prep. time which I've already started.

Last edited by BellaLucia; 01-08-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #13  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

IT took my boyfriend a year to get a job he finally got one in Dec 09. We were even willing to move to take a pay cut. But he's finally got one and is now starting his own business as well.
I personally hate my job, but I'm thankful I have one that's for sure.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #14  
losing weight not my mind

I have a job that I hate. I should be grateful for it, and I certainly am but it's no fun feeling like you're an outcast at work. I'm an outcast everywhere though. Never fitting in. .. I just had the most awful day at work today.
I just started this job four weeks ago and I'm so unhappy. I like the pay but the people are very unfriendly and up til now I have been coping with it okay but today I had a breakdown because I keep getting looked over for my accomplishments and the good work I'm doing. They noticed I was on edge and asked me about it and I almost started crying.. well I had tears in my eyes and I was shaking. I had to go outside twice just to calm down and even then everyone knew something was wrong with me. I don't want to be known as the person that is being dramatic all the time but I just want to be treated fairly like everyone else and that isn't happening...
I'm sorry to take over your thread. You all must think I'm pretty stupid because in this economy it's tough to even get a job.
skinnyin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I haven't worked since June 2008, minus a few *coughunderthetablecough* child-care jobs.
I've just stopped looking and lived off my student loans and the support of my parents. I'm overqualified for some job, drastically under qualified for others. However, I'm hoping to start substitute teaching soon but we'll just have to wait and see
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote