Old 12-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

Default salt cravings

I get these insatiable salt cravings from time to time (I don't really crave sweets like most people...it's the salt). Is there something scientific behind this? Some basic deficiency that's causing me to crave salt? Or is it just something I'll have to deal with?

Any advice?
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #2  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Are you craving certain salty foods or anything with salt? If it's certain foods, then I'd guess you're like me and don't have a sweet tooth. My 'drug' of choice tends to be salty junk foods (cheetos, chips) and I rarely crave sweets.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #3  
Beings fats is brutals

Height: 5'10

My mad Google-fu skills found this interesting article.

I particularly dig this part:
"If stress and adrenal exhaustion are causing your salt cravings, try eating food that are high in Vitamin C and Potassium.

Foods High In Vitamin C – Citrus, Pepper, Broccoli

Foods High In Potassium – Apricots, Bran Wheat, Raisins, Figs, and Baked Potato With Skin"

You could try it! I know that a lot of times cravings are because our bodies are short on a nutrient. For instance, during my TOM I always crave Iron-rich foods like raisins, spinach and beef. I don't usually crave salt myself, but I take Vitamin C supplements every day and my diet includes a lot of foods rich in both C and Potassium.

And if you don't like any of the listed foods there are other foods that are high in those nutrients. I know kiwi has a lot of C and bananas have a lot of potassium.

But all that said, I don't know if I'm even on the right track. Just suggesting what I would try if I were in your shoes. I hope you figure it out. Good luck!
Metal Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #4  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I'm the same with the salt cravings. I think it's partially down to putting salt in my food so often when I wasn't eating healthily, so now it's a habit and my brain won't let go.
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/186/149 (mini: 179)

Height: 5'5

Thank you all so much for the feedback!

Gracie - it's not anything specific - it's just anything on the planet that has salt. sometimes i consider just pouring salt into my mouth from the shaker. lol

Metal Chick - I think that is some great Googling! It makes sense. It really does feel like my body is just needing something. I'm going to try keeping some of those foods handy for my cravings and see how it goes. Thanks so much!
angee phalangee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

I get those cravings too Sometimes a big bowl of egg drop soup helps, I make mine with low sodium vegetable bouillon spiced with black pepper and celery or onion. Tomato soup is good too

P.S. My friend gets unexplicable salt cravings too, she has been known to eat a teaspoon of salt just because she feels she needs it, but it happens only a few times a year so I guess it's not hurting her.

Last edited by Sanna Maria; 01-01-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 154/147.75/120

Height: 5'2-3" ish

I am another salt fiend. I would much rather have salty things than sweet. I try to balance it out with drinking a lot of extra water on days I cave with sodium. It could be that your body needs something, I also think I just like the taste.
JadeBlue14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #8  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

I have heard a few things ...

1) When you are craving things like this sometimes it is because your body actually needs it. That isn't an excuse to eat a bag of potato chips, but if it is something you aren't getting much of it could be that your body is requiring more

2) I had a friend that was going through EMT training a while ago and they told me that typically when we crave salty/sweet thing it is actually a sign of dehydration. Are you getting enough water?

Good luck!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote