Old 12-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'6

Default Where to start?

In the past, I've always tried "fad" diets. Now I think I'm just ready to do something simple- stop eating so much....sounds like a no brainer now and I don't know why I didn't think of that before, lol!

Of course, I know what will happen...I'll start depriving myself and then feel super hungry then pig out, get angry with myself and give up. Then I'll wait 6 months and try again....and again and again...

Anyway, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm so fat I have a hard time exercising, and I have no idea how many calories to eat. I'm looking for a way to start losing without expecting too much of myself or setting myself up for failure.

Basically I need to figure out how many calories I can eat to stay full, but still lose weight. Also I need to know the minimum I need to be doing for exercise. It's hard for me to do any exercising, but if I set a daily requirement for myself then maybe I can push myself to do it....with a goal of increasing exercise when my current requirement becomes easily doable.
KathyinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #2  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyinAL View Post
In the past, I've always tried "fad" diets. Now I think I'm just ready to do something simple- stop eating so much....sounds like a no brainer now and I don't know why I didn't think of that before, lol!

Anyway, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm so fat I have a hard time exercising, and I have no idea how many calories to eat. I'm looking for a way to start losing without expecting too much of myself or setting myself up for failure.

Basically I need to figure out how many calories I can eat to stay full, but still lose weight. Also I need to know the minimum I need to be doing for exercise. It's hard for me to do any exercising, but if I set a daily requirement for myself then maybe I can push myself to do it....with a goal of increasing exercise when my current requirement becomes easily doable.
First, to gain your basal metabolic rate, go here: http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm That's going to tell you how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Mine stands at 2430/day- to maintain my weight. 1400 calories seems to be the absolute least I can eat without getting hungry and keep losing; any less and I don't lose anything- found that out the hard way!

Second, get to MyFitnessPal, DailyPlate... anywhere where you can log the number of calories you eat per day. MyFitnessPal has a calculator that asks you how much you want to lose per week, then gives you the number of calories per day you need to eat to do that. I'm not sure if Daily Plate does that, but it must do. If you want to shift a pound per week, you need to be in deficit of a maintaining caloric intake. Oh boy, a number geek's dream.

If you're currently gaining a pound a week, you're eating 500 calories over a basal metabolic rate. If mine is 2430, to gain a pound per week, I need to eat 2930. To lose a pound, I need to eat 500 calories less than 2430, or 1950/day. To lose 2 pounds per week, I need to eat 1000 calories less a day, or 1430.

Weight loss, I find, is split between the calories you eat per day and the kinds of food that you eat. You really need "smart carbs" or Low-GI carbs since it takes longer to digest and you feel fuller for longer. The database here is awesome: http://www.glycemicindex.com/ for low-GI foods. I stay away from carbs after about 5pm, except on the odd occasion.

Aim for 5+ a day- I like fruit, so 2 a day, plus 3 veggies (I'm a salad freak, so sprouts, lettuce and cucumber can easily fill 2 veggie requirements).

Drink lots of water. It's just better for you than Diet Coke. I'm slowly weaning myself off of it (Diet Coke, not water).

Eat little and often. The three squares a day is not my thing; I eat little and often, up to 5 times a day. Not only does it keep my sugars stable (I'm borderline hypoglycaemic/low blood sugar), but it keeps me fuller for longer and more satisfied.

Exercise. Only what you can; an hour a day? Half-an hour? Whatever you can do, do it. Challenge yourself to move up an extra 10% per week until you reach an hour of straight exercise. When you get to an hour, go a little faster. Runners increase their distance or their speed by 10% a week. Aim for that 10% per week. "They" (weight-loss and fitness experts) recommend 20 minutes, 3 times per week for exercise at the minimum to stay healthy.

Can anyone else think of anything?
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #3  
Short dresses here I come

S/C/G: 157/122/130

Height: 5ft6

Hiya!

First of all: I totally know where you're coming from; I have been there.
And I am not going back ¬_¬

When I realized that I wanted to lose weight about three weeks ago, I did a very stupid, no research fad thing of basically only eating about 200 calories a day, and drinking four or five cups of coffee. I was bad tempered >_< And I had no energy~
And of course after a week of looking on the internet and understanding what I was doing to myself, I upped the calories to 1200- a healthy amount for gradual weightloss.

Anyway; I think that first off, you need to be reasonable with yourself.
It's frustrating to have the weight there and want it gone, so the natural thing people do is just stop eating hoping it'll go away- like fad diets make is seem. But really, you're just burning muscles instead of fat and making it THAT much easier for the weight to come back.
So if you're really serious about losing weight healthily; start off by making a habit of writing down everything you eat. It makes you WAY more aware of the things you're eating and at the end of the day, you have an accurate look at what the problem is.
Next~ rather than cutting down of portions~ Try to balance your food out...You can still have chocolate- in moderation- but if you're going to have some for dessert, have a first course with some lean meat and green veg etc...
Just take it a day at a time
VeeDeValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'6

Thanks so much to both of you

I did so well today! My caloric intake was somewhere around 1300, which is pretty low, but after the way I ate yesterday I could use a nice low calorie day!

Water consumption was pretty low. I was on the go most of the day and forgot to bring a water bottle with me.

I went and had a facial today too! I normally only do that about 2x a year but I'm going to make it a priority. I think if I feel better about my appearance, I'll care more about not staying fat.

How did you do today?
KathyinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #5  

Welcome Kathy!

I find on the days when I do have a lower calorie day, that I make up for a day or two later. I don't worry about it. I figure if my caloric goal is 1500/day x 7 days so at the end of the week if I'm close to that 10500 then it's all good!
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote