100 lb. Club - A dollar pound

View Full Version : A dollar pound

Eliana
12-10-2009, 09:02 AM
I think each time I reach a loss of 20 lbs I'll put $20 away to spend on a special hair cut and maybe some highlights. I've never done that before. I think a nice little make-over would be a nice gift to myself when I reach my goal.

Violet73
12-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Eliana...thats a great idea!

jash
12-10-2009, 09:19 AM
When I hit 50 I went to a day spa for the first time. Never had done anything like it and it was terrific.

Eliana
12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I was tossing the idea around of doing $10 for 10 lbs, but I know me. The ATM spits out $20's, not $10's. LOL! 20's are easier to come by, and it's the same thing. Plus, only 3 lbs to go to add my first $20 bill! I should buy a pretty wallet or small coin purse to keep it in. Hmm...

rakel
12-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I like this idea! When I reach goal, I want to be a NICE wardrobe of clothing that I really like, not just because it fits :) But if I only do a dollar a pound, I could only buy maybe a nice pair of slacks, a shirt and maybe a pair of shoes. Maybe I'll save a bit more than that.

time2lose
12-10-2009, 11:05 AM
When I started I figured out how much I was spending on junk and set that money aside. I was going to give myself a piece of jewelry when I hit goal.

Instead, since I have been taking pictures to track my weight loss, I have been noticing how bad my teeth look. I have gotten very self conscious about how yellow they are. I don't even like to smile. So I took my reward money (put a little with it) and am having my teeth whiten. I started last week and they already look better.

Now I can smile with my teeth showing!

Eliana
12-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I like this idea! When I reach goal, I want to be a NICE wardrobe of clothing that I really like, not just because it fits :) But if I only do a dollar a pound, I could only buy maybe a nice pair of slacks, a shirt and maybe a pair of shoes. Maybe I'll save a bit more than that.
I have a clothing budget set up, just recently actually. I'm planning to spend as little on clothes as possible until I reach my goal weight. I can get by with a pair of black pants, khakis and jeans from the thrift store! And that way all my budgeted money will be there waiting for me when I reach goal! :carrot: I love this idea! I threw away all my "skinny" clothes just last year figuring if I ever did reach goal, I deserved to wear something I didn't wear 20 years ago! :dizzy:

When I started I figured out how much I was spending on junk and set that money aside. I was going to give myself a piece of jewelry when I hit goal.

Instead, since I have been taking pictures to track my weight loss, I have been noticing how bad my teeth look. I have gotten very self conscious about how yellow they are. I don't even like to smile. So I took my reward money (put a little with it) and am having my teeth whiten. I started last week and they already look better.

Now I can smile with my teeth showing!

What a nice idea! Congratulations! I bet not many people think of that.

I think it's important to treat ourselves. I've spent years not treating myself to anything and really let myself go. It was kind of like having a kitchen table you hated. Why would I want to surround it with nice chairs or a pretty center piece? I haven't felt like this body deserved nice clothes, nice hair, make-up or jewelry.

lovemyboy
12-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Excellent idea!

kuhrisuh
12-10-2009, 12:38 PM
aw what a good idea! i bet that'll keep you motivated! :)

Lackie
12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I am doing this! I will be spending the money on surgery though. My boobs are not shrinking and with losing weight my back is starting to hurt now because I am not even. SO I will be getting a breast reduction unless *hopefully* they start to shrink. :)

Dulce Vida
12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I think it is a great idea, and fantastic incentive! A dollar a pound is a reasonable goal, and it would be great to splurge on something you ordinarily wouldn't buy yourself. Let's see...By the time I reach my goal, I will have lost 111 pounds, so for $111 maybe I will buy myself a nice pair of shoes, or a watch.

Eliana
12-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I am doing this! I will be spending the money on surgery though. My boobs are not shrinking and with losing weight my back is starting to hurt now because I am not even. SO I will be getting a breast reduction unless *hopefully* they start to shrink. :)

Hmm...yes, I'd have to think about that too. Right now I'm fairly proportioned, and I seem to lose in the breasts and the fingers too. I've always found that amusing. At my highest weight my fingers are size 5!! They used to be a size 4. I can afford a little fat in my fingers, but no, they always shrink before the thighs and the hips. :dizzy: But if my breasts don't continue to shrink, I would consider a reduction too. I want to be LESS noticeable when I am at my goal weight, no more noticeable! LOL!

And yes, I'll brag a bit about my fingers and feet. LOL! I've always said these skinny fingers and my narrow feet were meant for a different body! But nobody says, "Wow, look at the fingers on that one!" LOL!

cfmama
12-10-2009, 12:59 PM
That is an awesome idea :) I personally buy dogs (lol!!!!) Bella when I got to 100 lbs lost and Torrin when I got to 150 lbs lost and I get a NEW PUPPY when I get to 200 lbs lost (or close to!)

Eliana
12-10-2009, 01:22 PM
That is an awesome idea :) I personally buy dogs (lol!!!!) Bella when I got to 100 lbs lost and Torrin when I got to 150 lbs lost and I get a NEW PUPPY when I get to 200 lbs lost (or close to!)

LOL! I LOVE it! :D

nelie
12-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I tend to buy fitness equipment/activities. But I don't really have a set goal of things but more like "when I get to this weight, I'll start this activity". I want to do rock climbing but want to lose 30 lbs first.

cfmama
12-10-2009, 01:32 PM
LOL! I LOVE it! :D

It's pretty awesome... by the time I get to goal I will have spent $4500 on collies!!!!! lol!!!!

Eliana
12-10-2009, 01:33 PM
It's pretty awesome... by the time I get to goal I will have spent $4500 on collies!!!!! lol!!!!

That's not so awesome! :D I get it though. How funny.

cfmama
12-10-2009, 01:42 PM
well Bella was $1000
Torrin was $1500
New puppy (in aprilish) will be $2000

lol!!!! My husband will tell you? Well worth it ;)

Lackie
12-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Eliana - I agree everywhere that we want it to lose it doesn't until after it takes from somewhere else. lol

Cfmama - Aww that's cute I think the hubs would be very upset if I did that. lol He gets to chose our next dog. :)

gloo
12-10-2009, 11:40 PM
My boyfriend and I actually have a puppy pact. Right now we have two dogs we rescued (adorable, crazy border collie mixes) and I really REALLY want to rescue a third. At 100 lbs., we get our next dog. We're hoping to take a trip to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah, volunteer for a week, and find another to bring back home to California with us.

I like the idea of combining that with a cash for pounds thing, and maybe use it toward our trip. :)

missy3gal
12-11-2009, 08:11 AM
I read a blog awhile ago in which a woman described putting a nickle in a jar for each pound she lost. She had an image of the jar and I can see that it would be motivating. She was going to turn it in for rewards like you mention, that is turn in the nickles for dollars.

FitGirlyGirl
12-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I think I might combine the dollar thing and the jar. I will go to the bank and get dollar coins to put in my jar. Hubby has already agreed to get me a new wardrobe and we are hoping insurance will help with any surgery I need - though I will be putting surgeries off until after we have a baby, no use tightening things up only to stretch them back out. I think I will spend my reward money on boots, nice knee high ones since being big I have never been able to find ones that fit properly. I have large calves and small feet - currently 15 inches and a 6 or 6 1/2. I have only lost 1.5 inch on each calf though, so I hope that they slim down enough to make this a reasonable thing to do.

Since we are hoping I will be pregnant long before reaching final goal, I will have to decide if I get double dollars for the pounds that I will have to lose twice.

missy3gal
12-12-2009, 11:20 PM
You mentioned getting dollar coins and I thought I would mention something that not many people know. You can request gold dollar coins. They might have to order them, but they're still a buck a coin and while they usually confuse the cashier, they work just fine and would look very cool in a jar. I just got 20 of these to give to young friends for christmas---kids love 'em and most people have no idea that they exist. Here's what they look like
http://www.mintcoindealer.com/images/George-Washington-Gold-Coin.jpg

paris81
12-13-2009, 09:23 AM

What a great idea! A reward that continues to reward you and your family for years after...I just love dogs, the way the look at you, they are just so sweet!

Plus, they're useful to keep you active, so perfect for maintaining! I can't wait until I can get a dog (apartment won't allow them, plus can't afford one anyway!)

JustBeckyV
12-13-2009, 11:54 AM
That is a great idea!!

Loving Me
12-13-2009, 01:04 PM
That's a great idea! Haven't really given myself any rewards so far, but putting money away for each pound lost could work for when I get to target.
I really want some knee length boots as well, but am worried my calves will never be thin enough to fit them.

Nit2loseit
12-14-2009, 02:17 AM
That is a FANTASTIC idea!!!! :)

lovemyboy
12-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I've been thinking on this for a while. I still haven't figured what exacly the rewards will be but I plan on going with a reward for certain numbers of days on plan rather than pounds off. If I am on plan the pounds will come and it will take some of the drama and pressure and anxiety away from the scale.

What rewards are you doing for yourself? I'm looking for ideas.

Edited to add that I am doing this also because I can continue doing it even when maintaining and I'm treating this with a do forever mentality.