General chatter - What are you reading-Dec 2009

View Full Version : What are you reading-Dec 2009

Smiling_Sara
12-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Another month. Year is moving fast!! Tell us all what you are reading this month.

Just started Such A Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster. She is amazing. Love her style.

L R K
12-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I have just started the Sookie Stackhouse Series (True Blood)

ANOther
12-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Just started Christmas Spirit by Amy Garvey

Shopaholic1204
12-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I have just started the Sookie Stackhouse Series (True Blood)

Awesome books, love the show too.

duckyyellowfeet
12-02-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm so saturated with work right now. So I'm reading...
"The Tempest" William Shakespeare
And a book on the 7 Deadly Sins and their effect on the psychological mindset of society.
For fun, I'm trying to get through the Spoils of time Trilogy again.

srr728
12-02-2009, 04:07 AM
I'm starting Aunt Dimity's Christmas...its a light mystery series that I love

and I just finished The Midwife...a midwive's story from 1950 in England.

I have 4 more books to make it to 100 for the year

Shopaholic1204
12-02-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm going to start Sue Grafton's newest book..U is for Undertow. I'm soooooooo excited that it's finally out. I started reading these books when I was a teenager (my mom bought some of them at a used book sale). I hate that the series is almost over. But it takes a few years for the next book to come out, lol.

alinnell
12-03-2009, 01:19 PM
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I think this will take me ALL month and part of January! I'm in a reading rut and don't feel like reading much. I think it's the early darkness.

ANOther
12-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Gave up on Christmas Spirit: the ghost angle sucked me in but it's one of those sexy (too much sexy) contemporary romances I don't really care for (I'm no prude by any means but I don't care for play-by-play descriptions of the guy going "inside", knowhutimean?). Started Merry Merry Ghost by Carolyn Hart instead: it's a ghost story but it's a thriller, and it's cute

SouthernMaven
12-07-2009, 12:56 PM
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. I think this will take me ALL month and part of January! I'm in a reading rut and don't feel like reading much. I think it's the early darkness.

I've read Atlas Shrugged but have not yet had a chance to read The Fountainhead. Atlas Shrugged started slow but definitely got better. It's one of my favorites, along with To Kill A Mockingbird and A Confederacy of Dunces. (My all time favorite book is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn; have read it many times.)

Right now I'm reading a book I picked up in a thrift store - The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe. This is the first book I've read by her and I am really enjoying it. Good for light reading, which is the reading mood I find myself in these days.

Eliana
12-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Right now I'm in the middle of "Wicked-The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire.

It has its moments...

alinnell
12-07-2009, 02:49 PM
I've read Atlas Shrugged but have not yet had a chance to read The Fountainhead. Atlas Shrugged started slow but definitely got better. It's one of my favorites, along with To Kill A Mockingbird and A Confederacy of Dunces. (My all time favorite book is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn; have read it many times.)

Right now I'm reading a book I picked up in a thrift store - The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe. This is the first book I've read by her and I am really enjoying it. Good for light reading, which is the reading mood I find myself in these days.

Good to know--thanks! I'm about 25 chapters into the book now, but it must have several hundred chapters! It's good, but it does move slow. Perhaps that's one reason I'm not feeling that I'm in a reading mood much right now.

L R K
12-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Awesome books, love the show too.

Yes! The best part about the TV series is that it is comepletely different from the books so you don't have to worry about spoilers!

mrsaugie
12-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Right now I'm in the middle of "Wicked-The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire.

It has its moments...

I have tried that one 3 times now and only make it to colledge and not much further then that. one of these times I'm just going to say forget it and read it all the way through. I like what i have read but it just gets so slow for me.

SouthernMaven
12-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Good to know--thanks! I'm about 25 chapters into the book now, but it must have several hundred chapters! It's good, but it does move slow. Perhaps that's one reason I'm not feeling that I'm in a reading mood much right now.

According to my son, it's not nearly as long as Atlas and a somewhat easier read. (I think AS is about 1200 pages long). For a very quick Ayn Rand read, try Anthem. It takes about an hour to read.

I call it "Atlas Shrugged for Dummies." :) But that's not really fair; a better description would be to call it the Cliff Notes for Atlas Shrugged, as it is a very basic outline of her philosophy. AS fills in the details.

NurseMichelle
12-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I have Jodi Piccult's "The Pact" in my car, looks interesting and thought provoking on the back cover, has anyone read it?

alinnell
12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
I have Jodi Piccult's "The Pact" in my car, looks interesting and thought provoking on the back cover, has anyone read it?

That is the first of her books that I've read. Good book, very heartbreaking though. But then a lot of her books are like that.

mort20
12-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Tonight, I'm reading Bet Me by Jenniffer Cruisie. I'm a sucker for chick lit, shoot me :)

ANOther
12-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm done with Merry Merry Ghost and (for the third time) starting Hush, It's a Game by Patricia Carlon. It's an Australian thriller from the 1960s about a little girl whose single father is called out of town a couple of days before Xmas and leaves her with a neighbor; he doesn't know the neighbor has a criminal past and on Xmas Eve her old boyfriend comes back to settle a score and shoots the woman dead. So now the little girl is locked in the babysitter's kitchen with nobody to know she's trapped, there's a telephone but it's just an extension without a dial, trying desperately to get somebody's attention before the killer comes back and finds her there. I love this book

biosci02
12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

mulder1921
12-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Reading The Liar's Club by Mary Karr. Love autobiographies.

Shopaholic1204
12-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm going to start reading Witch & Wizard by James Patterson.

ANOther
12-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Started Holly and Homicide by Leslie Caine.

Are Mary and Carol Higgins Clark going to have a new Xmas mystery this year? So far all I've seen is a 1-volume reprint of Deck the Halls + The Christmas Thief

MelbaMel0905
12-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Ohhh, this thread is right up my alley! I just started to try to read "Blindness" by Jose Saramago again. I tried to read it once before but it was just so all over the place and I couldn't get through it. Recently a friend and I were talking about the movie and he happened to have the book so I borrowed it. It seems much easier to get through this time around. I'm thinking I have less on my mind/can concentrate better. I really liked the move so I have even higher hopes for the book.

Hannah123
12-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I've just started "Under The Dome" by Stephen King, at 1072 pages I figure it's great arm exercise just holding the thing while I read! This should take me right through the Hols easily.

Glory87
12-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I just finished reading Breathless by Dean Koontz. I honestly don't know why I bother with his books anymore. This one was exceptionally awful - the ubiquitous fabulous dog, the cookie cutter man & woman main characters, the typical bad guy that acts like every other DK bad guy - and the ending sucked, it just...ended.

I'm done, this time I MEAN IT!!

I just wish...he would write another Lightning. Or Watchers. Or Strangers again. Man, I loved those 3 books. ****, I'd take another Phantoms, Whispers or The Bad Place!

Shopaholic1204
12-17-2009, 03:54 AM
I just finished reading Breathless by Dean Koontz. I honestly don't know why I bother with his books anymore. This one was exceptionally awful - the ubiquitous fabulous dog, the cookie cutter man & woman main characters, the typical bad guy that acts like every other DK bad guy - and the ending sucked, it just...ended.

I'm done, this time I MEAN IT!!

I just wish...he would write another Lightning. Or Watchers. Or Strangers again. Man, I loved those 3 books. ****, I'd take another Phantoms, Whispers or The Bad Place!

I used to love Dean Koontz. But then I started reading this one book (I forgot the name now) and all of a sudden..it turned into this scary alien story!! Scared the crap out of me!!!! I had nightmares for days..and I never finished the book!! Ever since then, I've stayed away.

Violet73
12-17-2009, 07:27 AM
I loved The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe...it was a great book!

I'm gonna wait for Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow to come out in paperback...I have all of her other ones from A to S :) Great books!

I just read The Shack and that was an awesome book...I will probably read it again in a few months :)

Right now..I'm reading The Villa by Nora Roberts

SouthernMaven
12-17-2009, 08:24 AM
I loved The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe...it was a great book!

I enjoyed it so much...have you read any of her other books? I am going to see if I can find them at the library.

Right now I'm reading Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin. I have a tendency to alternate between fiction and non-fiction.

PinkyPie
12-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

and then I'll start Spook City, collection of short stories edited by my very dear friend :)

Shopaholic1204
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm gonna wait for Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow to come out in paperback...I have all of her other ones from A to S :) Great books!

I really enjoyed U is for Undertow. I love her books!!

alinnell
12-17-2009, 12:34 PM
My last Dean Koontz book was Relentless, and I agree, Glory, that was the last one. Way too much supernatural stuff to make it believable.

When I get done with Ayn Rand, I'll download the new Sue Grafton book, U is for U___? Can't remember what it stands for, but her books are fun and easy reads.

MelbaMel0905
12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I LOVED this one. Probably one of my all time faves! Let me know how you like it.

Shopaholic1204
12-17-2009, 09:35 PM
When I get done with Ayn Rand, I'll download the new Sue Grafton book, U is for U___? Can't remember what it stands for, but her books are fun and easy reads.

Undertow

alinnell
12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Undertow

Thanks!

Shopaholic1204
12-19-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm starting Chocolate Chip Murder by Joanne Fluke.

CanadianCutie
12-20-2009, 09:37 PM

It has its moments...

I read this, it took me about 3 months and 3 different books to read when I couldn't read any more of it. It was decent enough, but I could only take so much of his writing style.

Shopaholic1204
12-20-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm currently reading, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I've been wanting to read this book since I first heard about it. It sucked me in right away!!!

sbranam
12-21-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm about half way through True Believer by Nicholas Sparks, it's just ok for me, I love all of his books that I have read so far but this one just isn't as interesting to me.

CanadianCutie
12-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I just finished reading Jodi Piccoult's Handle With Care. I love her writing style, and I just started reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I'm surprised I didn't read all night, when I read Angels and Demons I read it in one sitting 18 hours straight.

Latchkey Princess
12-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh, I'm glad I found this thread! I'm currently reading Christine by Stephen King and Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I've read them both many times before, I really need to get some new books (although I'd still read Twilight alot, I'm addicted)!! I'm hoping to get Stephen King's Under the Dome for christmas.

LoveAlwaysK
12-23-2009, 02:42 AM
I just read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, I enjoyed it. Im currently reading Dear John by Nicholas Sparks but im having a hard time getting into it though.

SouthernMaven
12-23-2009, 07:51 AM
I just read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I read that a couple of years ago and loved it...I found it impossible to put down. One of the best books I've ever read.

ANOther
12-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Done with Holly and Homicide. Starting Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

Shopaholic1204
12-24-2009, 01:02 AM
I just read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, I enjoyed it. Im currently reading Dear John by Nicholas Sparks but im having a hard time getting into it though.

That is such a good book. So sad. I read it a couple years ago. I really want to see the movie.