Exercise! - Should you eat before or after you excercise?

mouse101
11-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Apologies if this has been asked before (I tried to search the forum but couldn't find anything), but is it better to eat before or after you exercise? Or both?

If so, any suggestions on how much food to consume before/after to achieve the best weight loss results? Also, is it better to try to exercise at the same time of day (in terms of conditioning your body, but also within the context of consistently eating at the same time as well)?

sacha
11-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Read this from Alan Aragon, well known nutritionist in fitness. It will answer your questions exactly.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=11356062&postcount=3088

*As for what time of the day, it does not matter! Just get it done.

LittleMoonRabbit
11-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I personally eat both... I eat some carbs before (like steel cut oats, or some fruit) and then protein after (like chicken sausage or peanut butter)

iaradajnos
11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
I have been on my weight loss plan since Jan and have lost almost 40 pounds. For exercise, I always woke up in the early hours of the morning and exercised in a "fasted" state. I looked up on the internet months ago about this. My plan was to keep my metabolism balanced and humming along all day. Here's a site that was helpful:www.leehayward.com/am_cardio.htm.

To keep me "humming", I slept 8 hours a night, ate a small meal every four hours, drank water throughout the day, reduced stress, and exercised at the same time. Also, I ate roughly at the same time each meal. This helped me to stay on track, my body expected to eat at 10am and 2pm. I just don't get hungry before then. If my tummy growls, I'll look up and see it's 10am.

Over the months, I've increased my cardio and strength routine. Eventually, I've reached a five days-a-week plan with mostly cardio and body conditioning (meaning standing abs, boxing regimes, and cardio/balance) with hand weights during cardio routines. I've always worked out at home by dvd.

I did try eating before exercise (once or twice), but I hated eating half a meal before exercise then half a meal after exercise. I just couldn't bare splitting my meal. I don't get hungry before or during exercise, but have heard others say they really can't survive without eating--so it's really individual.

So, there you go. Good luck.

Thighs Be Gone
11-19-2009, 07:56 PM
I do better if I exercise early in the morning and without food in my stomach. I eat lots and lots whole foods--plenty of protein, fiber, complex carbs. I don't "feel" hungry afterwards but usually shower, have my coffee and a nice breakfast high in protein afterwards.

beerab
11-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I think it depends on the person- me personally I don't like to eat then work out. I prefer to work out then eat. :)

Aclai4067
11-19-2009, 10:39 PM
I know a lot of people who can't workout after they eat. I HAVE to eat before I workout, usually about 30-45 min before. And since I eat 4 smaller meals a day most days and I'm at the gym for about 2 hours, my next meal is usually an hour or 2 after the workout.