PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #1  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

Red face Does anyone else think there may be a link between PCOS and IBS?

So first--before anyone reads too far--this post/thread will probably contain a lot of tmi for some. It's probably not as bad as I'm making it sound, but here goes:

So I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006, and I've been on metformin and birth control ever since. The met really bothered me in that it took me months to get used to the pill and for the gastrointestinal side effects to let up. There are still some foods I will absolutely not eat because they cause me to have very painful gas and loose stools, something that has never happened to me before unless I was very sick with the flu. My stool is somewhat back to normal, but I still get regular bouts of "urgency" and (sorry for this) the smell is pretty gross. I mean, of course I don't expect it to smell good, but I will only go at home because I'm afraid to have to "share" that in a public restroom. My body is on a bit of a schedule now, so I can plan for...occurrences :-) But still, I'm sick of feeling bloated and nauseous, etc on a regular basis.

When I was in high school I thought it was normal for a person to have a bowel movement every 2-3 days, which was what it was like for me. I only once had an issue with actual constipation, but my stools were always harder than what medical professionals (or gillian mckeith) say is normal, and they were rather dry.

It seems now I have the opposite problems. Does this sound like IBS? I eat a lot of fiber btw, and I take acidophilus, which made virtually no difference in my digestion. I don't eat meat and I eat very little dairy.

Okay, now for a little more TMI--all these bowel issues have caused me to have hemorrhoids for almost a year--they are not very severe, but I do have pain daily and very light bleeding at times when I go to the bathroom. Treatments do not help, I am trying to solve the root of the problem, which would be my bowel issues. I think that, as long as I'm having problems, I'll continue to have what I lovingly call "rhoid rage" LOL. What else can ya do but laugh about it, huh?

But seriously, it would be nice to hear if this sounds like ibs to those of you who suffer--I imagine my case would be fairly mild, but I really have no idea. discuss:

Last edited by kittyno; 11-11-2009 at 05:15 PM.
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #2  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

I have had PCOS for 14 years and never could get use to metformin. I had ALL the same bowel and stomach problems you are dealing with. After a year of not being able to deal with it my Dr. put me on Actos. This med has cleared all of the yucky stuff up and now I wont take anything else.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

I've never heard of a relation between the two, but that doesn't mean it isn't there... But I tend to agree with Gelene. The met is just really wicked stuff for some people. I never got used to it either, so I quit Met, and went to integrative medicine.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For what it's worth (which isn't much):

I had IBS long before I was on metformin. I don't have PCOS, but do have insulin resistance. I also have fibromyalgia and an autoimmune disease that is attacking multiple organs and my joints (and could account for some of the IBS).

I've been reading a lot of books on inflammation, autoimmune disease, and omega-3 fats, and it's making me wonder whether there's a connection. If you believe the authors hook-line-and-sinker, there IS a connection - and inflammation is causing all of these and many other issues (several do mention PCOS as one of the diseases they believe is caused, worsened - or primarily a disease of inflammation).

So when I say I think there may be a link, it isn't with strong confidence. The problem in the books that claim they have an anti-inflammatory diet, is that they don't always agree on which foods are anti-inflammatory. One book says chili peppers are inflammatory and you should avoid them. Another book says chili peppers are highly anti-inflammatory and you should eat them regularly.

Several of them try to quantify the inflammatory nature of foods in a way that requires you to look up every food in their book (if it's not in there, too bad), and do quite a bit of math (more than simple calorie counting) at every meal.

A little more complicated than I would want to take on. It's the reason I must have checked out nearly 20 books from the library so far on the topics (inflammation, autoimmune disease, and omega-3's). And I have few more that I requested through interlibrary loan that haven't arrived yet.

I am reading so many to see if I could find the common variables between them, andy "general" rules to follow.

I haven't come to many conclusions yet - the agreed-upon information isn't all that revolutionary..... eat plenty of fruits and vegetables (more vegetables than fruit), eliminate fatty and processed foods, and eat more fish (especially more cold-water fish) and eat more grass-fed meats (eliminate grain-fed meats), and be careful with high-starch and grain foods (some books say eliminate, some books say limit in quantity, and some say limit in type -for example whole grains and whole food sources...). Many recommend a fish oil or flax seed supplement...

Again, I don't know how much truth there is to any of it, but since I've been taking a fish-oil supplement, I have noticed some health improvements, most noticeably less joint pain and fewer/less severe flares of the skin issues.

Last edited by kaplods; 11-16-2009 at 12:14 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I am not sure if what I have is IBS but I do have similar symptoms. I get urgency to go at the most inconvenient times, and yes some foods do get my bowls irritated like broccoli, beans etc
I don't know if they are linked, I've noticed this probably more than 4 or 5 years after I was diagnosed with PCOS so not sure of the relation here. But yes, I do have IBS like symptoms.
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #6  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

I've had IBS like symptoms since having my gall bladder removed almost 14 years ago. My mom and sister have had theirs removed as well but my symptoms are worse...It may be that I do have the IBS and not having the gall bladder has made it worse....I do take metformin though. I thought I wouldn't be able to because of the IBS. It doesn't make anything worse than it was before the metformin...It may have even improved the IBS like symptoms some what....Maybe it's all related I don't know. Hopefully more doctors will start to study the links
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

This is weird because I was looking up all the symptoms I've been experiencing with my tummy & such and I came up with the possibility of me having IBS. From what I've read online it sounds like that could be what you are going through too... I didn't see anything that related IBS to PCOS, but that doesn't mean the connection isn't there..
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/160

I do believe that there is a strong link. I have always had issues with my bowels, and it gets tremendously worse on Met. I bounce back and forth between constipation and diaharrea.
MommaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #9  
Wonderwitch121

S/C/G: 268

6 years ago I was finally diagnosed with PCOS, trouble losing weight, tired, heavy periods that would come far to often, odd chin hair! I was 31. They were going to start the meds when I was late. I leterally stopped at the light, realized I was a block from my GYN's office and drove straight there. Yup, I was pregnant! Never started the meds. With both of my girls (11 years apart) I suffered from Pancreatitis...what does the pancreas produce... insulin. Gall Stones with both, they took my gallbladder at 21 weeks with the pregnancy 6 years ago (she will be 5 in May). I have always had issues with irregular bowels and tummy issues.

Most resently, I was driving to work and had the most excruciating pain hit me under my left rib, turned around and went home and I was off for a week. The Dr. though it was a kidney stone...tests, no stone. Finally, with my urging they sent me to a Gastroenterologist, IBS! Many things are now classified under this catagory, including spastic colon, with apparently is what was happening, felt like my intestine was being twisted, awful.

I totally believe they are related!

Have to get the PCOS under control. At the time when I was diagnosed the DR. told me that a mediterranean style diet is what I need to change to and live in that lifestyle. Of course I got completely off track with having my daughter, then separating and being on my own again with both my girls. So, low carb life here I come. I know low carb works because years before I did Atkins and lost 50 lbs, as soon as I started eating breads and pastas and startch again, I started gaining and my stomach started bothering me again.

Stress and activity play a key roll. I know that when I was doing yoga everyday and exercising I felt good, I was regular and the pain, gas, etc were little to none.

Last edited by wonderwitch121; 01-01-2010 at 12:55 AM.
wonderwitch121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

I'm not sure I believe they're related, but Metformin can cause some crazy GI side effects. There's some days I can go eat the greasiest meal ever and feel fine, but I eat some graham crackers and am in the toilet with diarrhea 10 minutes later.

I used to have hemorrhoids pretty bad, but with lots of fiber, water, and weight loss those have gone away since my stools are much softer now.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #11  

I have pcos and my mom has IBS.
melissahasabigolbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #12  

just a thought....have any of you looked up info about gluten intolerance? Elisabeth Hasselbeck from The View said she was diagnosed with IBS for many years which she says is a "BS diagnosis" cause she actually has celiac disease...and the gluten in breads, pasta, etc. causes her stomach symptoms. Also it caused her problems with fertility....she didnt go into detail here but I wonder if it was PCOS? When she gave up gluten...she had no more abdominal problems and she got pregnant!

I do better on a gluten-free diet. I havent had as many IBS problems since I started talking calcium though. But, I do believe the gluten caused my IBS symptoms I had for years. It's worth you guys looking into. It is said that 92% of the population has gluten intolerance and just dont know it.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote