Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #1  
Dance Teacher Sets Goals

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'1

Default Young Dance Teacher Longs To Be Looked Up To Again

Hello everyone,

My name is Cristi(some call me Chrissy). I am 27 years old and am 200pounds.
I started gaining weight in college and it just has never stopped.

My passion is dance and I have been teaching dance, tumbling and sports acro for at least 7 years. I'm to the pointe where I can no longer demonstrate in class. I feel that if I lost weight the dancers would look up to me and have more respect for me.
Besides that I know that I would be healthier, feel better about myself, would enjoy taking pictures with friends again and would not dread going to the mall(I hate shopping for clothes because nothing fits or looks good).

I thought I would start my journey by calorie counting.
A few of my friends calorie and they swear it works.
I thought I would attempt to start at eating 1,000 calories a day.

I plan on going to the gym at least 3 days a week.
45 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of weights/strength training.

Does anybody have any advice for me?

Thanks!
StLDanceTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I think I would start higher than that--I think I would up to 1400. I am also a calorie counter. I would focus on whole foods and get processed anything out of your diet. Think lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains and plenty of veggies and some fruits. Satiating your body so you don't cave to your old ways of eating is so, so important.

Last, the first few days are the toughest. Most here would agree. Once you get on the wagon, it does get easier. Just do it. We are all here for the support and answers you need.

Your workouts sound good. I started with walking only and it was enough until I was able to run. Remember though, your nutrition is much more a part of your weightloss than working out. Working out is great for overall fitness, health and well being. If you are overeating though, it won't do much for weightloss.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 10-22-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

Hey Cristi!

First, welcome! I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do! You should pop by the 20-somethings forum. Everyone here is great, and I know you're going to find a lot of support here.

I just wanted to let you know that I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. Before moving abroad, I was also a dance teacher and I know what it feels like to think that you're not able to give your best to the students because of weight. I used to feel terrible talking to parents, because I would always be thinking "Who would want to trust their kid to a dance teacher as big as me?!". So I get it. But I want to share something with you that my mom (who is also a dance teacher) told me once. She said "I know that you don't always jump as high as you want to or spin as fast as you think you should, but you have the heart of a dancer and that's all that matters". I can tell from your post that you have a passion for dance, and that commitment will be a great inspiration for you.

Best of luck on your journey, and if you ever need anything - well you know where to find me!
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hello and welcome! I am glad you are joining us.

I wish you the best on your weight loss journey!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

First off, Welcome! You have found a great site for support and advice.

Congratulations on deciding to get fitter, leaner, and healthier. Adding experience in proper nutrition and weight management will make you that much more valuable as a dance/acro coach.

Calorie counting is a successful strategy for a lot of folks. It works for me and many others on 3FC.

But I think you need to take a little time to research how to lose weight in a healthy fashion. 1000 calories is simply too low. I only have 5 lbs to lose at this point, and I eat at least 1200 a day. I started out at 1500 (normally, you start out a lot higher and drop as you lose weight, because your BMR naturally drops as you lose weight).

At 1200 calories, I find it really really hard to eat all the nutritious foods I feel I want to get in my diet. A variety of foods are important for good health (and please don't overlook healthy fats -- that's a category that calorie counters are apt to skimp on but they are very important!). Even at 1500 calories, it was a challenge to fit in all the healthy variety that I wanted to make sure I was eating.

Other than your too-low calorie limit, it sounds like you've got a good plan-- calorie counting plus cardio and resistance sounds like a winning strategy! But please just take the time to figure out a healthier limit and think about the kinds of foods you want to eat. Maybe post a few sample days of meal plans?

And, once again, welcome!!!

Last edited by yoyoma; 10-22-2009 at 08:15 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I think I would start higher than that--I think I would up to 1400. I am also a calorie counter. I would focus on whole foods and get processed anything out of your diet. Think lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains and plenty of veggies and some fruits. Satiating your body so you don't cave to your old ways of eating is so, so important.

Last, the first few days are the toughest. Most here would agree. Once you get on the wagon, it does get easier. Just do it. We are all here for the support and answers you need.

Your workouts sound good. I started with walking only and it was enough until I was able to run. Remember though, your nutrition is much more a part of your weightloss than working out. Working out is great for overall fitness, health and well being. If you are overeating though, it won't do much for weightloss.

I agree with all this.

Welcome to 3FC and good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #7  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Christi!
Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated, inspired and entertained!

You can also get great advise and tips from those who are (or have been) where you are now - the posts you received already prove that.

There are lots of people here with more to lose and lots with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here a short time myself, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of cheating or giving up.

So welcome aboard - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

Last edited by leeway; 10-22-2009 at 09:36 PM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #8  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

You've chosen an excellent place to find support. Personally, I've found that jumping into a challenge is a great way to hold myself accountable. That, and every day, sometimes multiple times a day, I confess in the Daily Food and Exercise Confessions thread. Another great resource is the success stories and before/after pictures. They're so inspiring.

I would suggest seriously reevaluating your caloric intake, though. 1200 tends to be the recommended minimum. You need to look at your body, how much it requires naturally, and how many calories you'll be burning with all that exercise and adjust accordingly. ^^ Personally, I aim for 1700-1800. Granted, I'm taller than you are. Another thing to keep in mind is that everybody's body works differently. Some people who are your height and weight might need 1600 to lose consistently and in a healthy fashion. Others might only need that minimum of 1200. You might be in between. My advice is the same as the posters above start higher. Then if you need to, you have room to lower your intake later.

Welcome and we're glad to have you!
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi there I just joined this forum too, and I also enjoy dancing. I took lessons for awhile as a kid. Actually, at my weight I've been embarrassed to dance in front of anyone for years. I even avoided most school dances, aside from my senior prom which my friends wouldn't allow me to skip. Though, I just decided that I'm going to start again, and enrolled in a community dance class which will be starting in just over a week.

As far as your plan, it looks great with the exception of with all the exercise and working out you'll be doing, you definitely should take in more calories. I wouldn't go for any less than 1200, or even 1400, especially on the days that you are going to the gym. The combo of cardio and weight training looks good though!
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote