Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #1  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Default In need of advice! Please?

I know I should probably post this in the pregnancy section, but honestly you don't get too much feedback there. I am a bit over 10 weeks pregnant and am really struggling with eating well. I've already gained 10 lbs...which is horrible. I've worked really hard this year to lose this weight and now I am terrified of undoing it.
I don't want to gain too much and according to a lot of stuff I read on websites, I could actually be okay with just gaining 15 lbs. *Not good when I've already gained 10!* Anyway, I really do not want to gain a lot of weight. I gained about 60 lbs with my first and 20 lbs with my second.
Does this sound like a reasonable plan: eat 1700 calories daily, alternate between elliptical training and pilates, and drink at least 64 oz of water. (?)
I don't want to do anything extreme and the workouts will not be too high of an intensity, but I do want to make this pregnancy as healthy as I can. The first I was absolutely awful and I did a lot better with the second. This time I am just hungry all of the time and I just need to do this perfectly.
Please, if anyone has some good advice on this, let me know! Thank you!
aangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I have no idea because I have no kids nor have I ever been pregnant but I wanted to give you a and hopefully someone will be able to help ya out soon. Have you asked your doctor maybe as well?

Last edited by Onederchic; 10-14-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

When I was pregnant with my first baby I first weighed in at 192 by the time I gave birth I was 179. I had a 6lb 9 oz perfectly healthy baby boy. If u think about each nutrient u put in your mouth also goes into ur childs mouth u will have a healthier relationship with food throughout this. I mean, u wouldn't feed ur baby junk...NO!! My doctor said if ur already overweight just try to eat as healthy as possible to have the healthiest baby possible. Good Luck!!
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #4  

You need to call your OB to ask that question. Perhaps they can refer you to a nutritionist that can help you at least maintain your current weight. I was always under the impression that losing weight during a pregnancy was a BIG no no.
kaybelle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 135/135/110

Height: 5'3

Maybe check out this article: http://www.healthline.com/blogs/diet...pregnancy.html

Last edited by kiakaha; 10-15-2009 at 01:38 AM.
kiakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #6  
One day at a time....

S/C/G: 288/234/199

Height: 5'5''

I agree with Kaybelle9, you definately need to speak to your OB before you take anyone elses advice. He/She knows your history and can direct you in the right direction!
srr728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #7  
A Mom on a Mission!

S/C/G: 162/143/130

Height: 5'3

I agree with previous posts--definitely talk to your doctor! But just FYI--I had a baby at the end of July, and midway through my pregnancy, my doctor said I was gaining too much weight (by about 6 months I had gained close to 30lbs). My OBGYN had me start counting calories and told me to aim for 2000-2200. Good luck with your pregnancy!
Turning30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #8  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

I don't have a dr right now due to not having insurance. We are hoping to get medicaid soon, it is already in the process. I will try to talk to someone at WIC next time we go up. This week I have been sticking to around 1700 NET calories, so I am eating what I burn by exercising and have been maintaining all week. I am just exercising because I don't want to lose too much of the muscle that I have gotten this year. I'm not exercising to lose weight. Thanks for all of the advice and the article. We'll see how it goes.
aangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

This is my first post here, but I just had to jump in! I have had 4 children, so I completely understand the fear of gaining too much weight. So I have some suggestions (in addition to consulting a physician or midwife).

First of all, do not count calories! Eat whenever you are hungry. Hunger is your body's way of telling you that you and your baby need nutrients. Remember that you are creating a little life and any nutrient deficiencies could cause harm to your baby. You want your baby to develop 100% normally!

But, you can make sure that everything you eat is nutritious. You can definately cut out sugars and bad carbohydrates! By doing this you will only gain the amount of weight necessary to keep you and your baby healthy.

1/3 of the way through my 4th pregnancy, I freaked out because I had already gained a lot of weight, so I cut all sugar and only ate healthy carbs, fruit, veggies and protien sources. As soon as I did this, I lost 7 lbs (my midwife freaked a little, but I assured her I was NOT dieting just eating healthy). Then through the rest of the pregnancy I only gained about 10-15 more pounds. But when I had my baby, I was only about 15 pounds above my starting weight (with all other pregnancies, I was a solid 30-40lbs above still).

You can definately excercise - I took step class, kick-boxing, pilates, yoga, walked, lifted weights, water aerobics, etc. Just listen to your body. If it hurts stop. And drink tons and tons of water, because lack of water can cause your uterus to contract. So definately drink up.

And of course if you have any complications with your pregnancy, you may have to stop exercising.

Be smart. Be safe. And remember that this is not the time to deprive yourself of calories - you have a little baby to build. Eat healthy, but eat lots.

And please realize these are my opinions. I am definately not a professional.
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote