100 lb. Club - A calorie cycling observation...

View Full Version : A calorie cycling observation...

cfmama
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Calorie cycling FOR ME does not speed up my weight loss. Period. At all.

I've been sitting doing tons of calculations etc and over the last 6 months I've alternated one month calorie cycling, one month not. And my rate of loss? EXACTLY THE SAME.

And for the last four months I've lost between 8-9 pounds a month. Which yes is MASSIVELY slower than it used to be... but I'm not worried. With losing at this rate I will be at my goal by summer. That works for me.

But ya... no increased weight loss by calorie cycling. I was checking back into it as I figured I could use a boost in the speed department but after all of my calculations it's not worth it. Very strange.

Now this is just ME and not anyone ELSE but I thought it was worth a post!

rockinrobin
10-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't think it's strange at all.

Never worked for me either. I never attempted it though. I never calorie cycled and I lost steadily. Although I did eat slightly more on the weekends.

*For me*, it's always, always, always been about creating a calorie deficit while eating healthy foods. As long as I steadily did that, I steadily lost. I never had to "trick my body" or "keep it guessing". I stayed at the same calorie level for months and I ate very similar foods for months. All my body needed was to create that calorie deficit and use up my stored fat.

Judy Lynn
10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Wow! If you are still losing 8 - 9 pounds/month you are doing great! I consider 5 pounds a good month for me. Just keep on doing what you are doing, you obviously have it goin' on!

daniela
10-13-2009, 05:54 PM
The key is to find something that works for you right ;) Isn't it great to have all this data so you can go back and pick up trends! I'm such a data nerd :D

You made me check out my own monthly losses...something I haven't looked at in a while. I'm all over the map!!! But when I go back to see the numbers behind the monthly weight loss I know why it was high or low. I've switched up my daily calories a couple of times dropped them twice upped them 3 times (all for at least a month to see what would happen).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2510/4009615060_2a354a7973_o.jpg

This Sunday I'm running a 1/2 marathon, then taking a week off from training, then hitting the weights hard and cutting back on cardio big time.

I've been maintaining for the past 3 weeks on an avg of 2,500 cals (needed the fuel for the 1/2 marathon training). I'll be dropping down to 1,900 in the next week and half see what happens from there. 5lbs to go for that 100lb loss, I know it's just a number but I want it real bad :D

How many cal are you eating now? Still walking and doing yoga? Have you added any strenth training?

You are rocking it cfmama :carrot:

cfmama
10-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Right now I'm eating 1500 calories. Walking 4 miles 3 times a week, yoga three times a week and no strength training yet. I HAVE to get started on that. I HAVE to. I know. Kick my butt now. Please.

rockinrobin
10-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Right now I'm eating 1500 calories. Walking 4 miles 3 times a week, yoga three times a week and no strength training yet. I HAVE to get started on that. I HAVE to. I know. Kick my butt now. Please.

Do it. Do it. DO IT!!! Don't be intimidated. Make it simple. BUY A RESISTANCE BAND. It's the greatest. You can add muscle to every area of your body, right in your own home with that wonderful thing. You think those emerging bones are cool? The smaller sizes? Wait till you get yourself some muscle. AND it is the one thing known to actually burn more calories. AND having muscle is healthy. It's good for your bones and a slew of other things.

Kick. Kick. Kick.

daniela
10-13-2009, 06:09 PM

WELL GET ON IT WOMAN! ;) Even if you just get some dumbbells you can do so much with just that and you'll get some SPECTACULAR results! Trust me, I'm blown away how my shape has changed since I started lifting. I wish I started right when I started losing so I could have held on to more lean body mass. I'm here for you if you decide to get into it...I'm no expert but I'm always willing to share :hug:

Now go lift something heavy! :lifter::lifter::lifter::lifter::lifter:

daniela
10-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Do it. Do it. DO IT!!! Don't be intimidated. Make it simple. BUY A RESISTANCE BAND. It's the greatest. You can add muscle to every area of your body, right in your own home with that wonderful thing. You think those emerging bones are cool? The smaller sizes? Wait till you get yourself some muscle. AND it is the one thing known to actually burn more calories. AND having muscle is healthy. It's good for your bones and a slew of other things.

Kick. Kick. Kick.

DITTO and one more time "it is the one thing known to actually burn more calories" can you say, "JACKPOT!"

SunnyP
10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
OMG Daniella - I just looked at your progress pics - your arms and back and shoulders are amaaaaaaaaazing! You must be so happy and proud.

rockinrobin
10-13-2009, 07:25 PM
DITTO and one more time "it is the one thing known to actually burn more calories" can you say, "JACKPOT!"

It can't be said enough times. You were calorie cycling to try and speed things up. So, ummm, hello - proven - effective - healthy - way to do so. No gimmicks. No nuthin'. Not only will this speed things up for now. But and here's the BIG thing. It will always be there to help you speed things up or at least keep things MAINTAINED in the future. Forever. Got that? It will help you with maintenance. And let me tell you dear friend, that's something you don't want to pass up on.

So get cracking. Don't waste another second. It does take time to develop muscle. Especially us women. But develop it you will. Don't delay.

I'm only yelling at you because, well because I care about you. :hug:

cfmama
10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
HELP! I have 8 lb free weights, 2 lb free weights and access to others. I'm going to buy a resistance band. Lead me wonderful women. Can you send me to a website that will help me develop a work out plan?

starfishkitty
10-13-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm with cfmama! I want to learn how to use a resistance band, but I don't know where to look to learn! At my gym it's kind of a non-trainer place and you have to pay big bucks to get advice from them so it's a no go learning from THEM. Plus, I need something I can do before I go into work on nights I can't make it to the gym to do anything. Anything you tell her, please tell me!!

DCHound
10-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Tammy, you know this is the second time I've lost over 100 lbs. First time, I lifted no weights. Nada. Not a one. At the time, I couldn't even pick up a relatively small hound (50 lbs). And, when I got to the 190s, I was jiggly. My arms had folds in the skin from where the fat had absconded. I had to wear support hose under dresses and pants because my tummy was so saggy. And that was almost 10 years ago.

This time, I have lifted HEAVY weights and it has made all the difference in the world. Even under all this remaining fat you can see my delts, pecs, my arms are very muscular and I even have a rudimentary (very rudimentary, but the definition is there) six-pack. Heavy, heavy, heavy.

So, my suggestion would be, to start out, Weight Lifting for Dummies. Then as you grow stronger, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. All freeweights, no machines, heavy, heavy, heavy. Fewer reps, heavier weights. You will see a difference very quickly. It's awesome! And very well worth it.

rockinrobin
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Tammy, you can just google "resistance band workouts" and a bunch of things will pop up. With visuals, since it would be hard to explain it here in writing.

I know about.com has some good stuff and fitnessmagazine.com/resistance has VERY good stuff as well.

You can also pop into the Exercise/lifting forum here at 3FC. I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge there. Also, when you purchase the band(s), it will come with a booklet. I know it seems foreign now, but in no time it will be natural and comfortable for you.

Oooh, I'm excited for you!!

CountingDown
10-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Tammy - I like several of the DVD workouts from 10 Minute Solutions. I bought the Spry resistance bands and they came with a poor-quality, but very instructive video.

Many, many videos come with the resistance bands already included in the package. Check out Collage Video for snippets of different workouts to see what would work for you.

And - definitely give resistance bands a try - they are GREAT! If this old chickie can do it, you can too!

Sandi
10-14-2009, 12:00 AM
There are different bands and different colors. I have this printed out. Mel has this posted (from Meg) http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/96976-resistance-band-workout.html and then I kind of ran with it, trying to get better descriptions for myself.

Couch
10-14-2009, 12:08 AM
I thought calorie cycling was mostly to stop your metabolism from slowing, or to boost your metabolism if you've plateaued from eating too little for two long. The months that you did calorie cycled may have helped keep your metabolism firing.... or maybe your metabolism is fine and you didn't have to worry!

But, if you lost the same amount of weight 4 months ago as you did this months weighing significantly less, and therefore having a lower BMR now, your metabolism is probably higher than it was then. (Does that make sense....hopefully you know what I mean) Unless of course you've reduced your calories or upped your exercise.

As for resistance training, this dumbell workout might be useful:

http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6

The whole site is worth a look too.

cfmama
10-14-2009, 12:23 AM
thanks EVERYONE for all of your help! I'm off this week to buy a resistance band and tonight I'll start with my free weights. You guys are da bomb :)

HeyHeyGabby
10-14-2009, 01:27 AM
I cycle slightly, but not on purpose. i just end up eating 1300 some days and 1750 others. As long as im above 1200 and below 1800 i dont worry too much, though i do shoot for 1600-1800. I dont think itll effect me in any way, positive or negative, as long as i still work out.

I really need to start doing weight/resistance stuff too! i keep telling myself ill start next month, but that's such a stupid idea if i really think about it. I'll definitely have to get on that!

Tai
10-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Tammy, try Walmart for your resistance bands. I got mine from there and they were really inexpensive. They came two to a box (differing resistances) and there was a booklet included with instructions. Have fun!

cfmama
10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Tammy, try Walmart for your resistance bands. I got mine from there and they were really inexpensive. They came two to a box (differing resistances) and there was a booklet included with instructions. Have fun!

THANK YOU I was just going to ask where to get them!!!

daniela
10-14-2009, 04:20 PM
I donít know much about resistance band training but I can fill you in on some of the stuff I did when I 1st started incorporating strength training. Back in Feb of this year I hired a trainer, we worked together up until the end of June, then I went off on my own. When we started we meet twice a week for 30 min then I did one of our routines on my own for a 3rd day. I did this for about 2 months just starting off, along with cardio.

We started off doing full body workouts, a bunch of compound movement stuff (incorporating multiple exercises into one move), this kept the heart rate up for more of a calorie burn. This was a typical workout (using dumbbells & a stepper). You can google these moves for a description.

Workout A
- Dumbbell squats (legs & gluts)
- Step ups on to the stepper while holding the dumbbells, curl the dumbbell as you step up, then press over head (legs, gluts, bicep, shoulders)
- Dumbbell Lateral Raises (shoulders)
- Bench Press (chest)
- Bent Over Row (Back)
- Lunges or Walking lunges with dumbbells in hand (legs)
- Overhead extension (triceps)
- Weighted crunch (abs)

Workout B
- Dumbbell squats (legs & gluts)
- Step ups on to the stepper while holding the dumbbells, curl the dumbbell as you step up, then press over head (legs, gluts, bicep, shoulders)
- Upright Row (shoulders)
- Flat Fly (chest)
- Renegade Row (Back)
- Stiff Leg Deadlift (legs)
- Kickback (triceps)
- Side bend (abs)

Ex.
Week 1 - Workout A,B,A
Week 2 - Workout B,A,B

You can also superset some of the exercises in each workout.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/bodybuilding/Routines/supersetworkout.htm

Good luck, I think youíll enjoy this! Try this 2 months 3x a week for 30min, start with 3 sets each 10-15 reps. As for the weight you pick it just needs to be challenging for you.

So excited for you :D Be sure to post an update!

Shannon in ATL
10-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Tammy - I got some great workout idea for my dumbbells from www.stumptuous.com, plus a lot of info on weights in general. I also got some ideas from www.exrx.net, and the Women's Health Magazine (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/) workout section. I'm currently doing the WH Belly Off Club workouts, M & W use weights, F is more cardio circuit. I'll go back to more DB heavy work next week I think. I was bored and needed to change it up a little. :) I tend to do 'total body' workouts three days per week, am probably about to the point where I have to go into a split program. Check out the chat thread in the Weight & Resistance Training section, too - I get a lot of help there!

daniela
10-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Need to add 2 more cents LOL

So, my suggestion would be, to start out, Weight Lifting for Dummies. Then as you grow stronger, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. All freeweights, no machines, heavy, heavy, heavy. Fewer reps, heavier weights. You will see a difference very quickly. It's awesome! And very well worth it.
^ DITTO
To start you just want to learn the moves and work on good form, then start adding more weight! I didn't start lifting what I think is heavy untill this past July and I changed my routine into more of a 4 day split by body part. HEAVY is the way to go...you won't look like the hulk ;)

This is a great reference book that gives you detailed pictures of various exercises and exactly which muscles are involved.
http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Training-Anatomy-Frederic-Delavier/dp/0736063684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255548361&sr=8-1

I thought calorie cycling was mostly to stop your metabolism from slowing, or to boost your metabolism if you've plateaued from eating too little for two long. The months that you did calorie cycled may have helped keep your metabolism firing.... or maybe your metabolism is fine and you didn't have to worry!

But, if you lost the same amount of weight 4 months ago as you did this months weighing significantly less, and therefore having a lower BMR now, your metabolism is probably higher than it was then. (Does that make sense....hopefully you know what I mean) Unless of course you've reduced your calories or upped your exercise.

As for resistance training, this dumbell workout might be useful:

http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6

The whole site is worth a look too.

I know what you mean Couch and yes, that site is great!