Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #1  
making a new me

S/C/G: fatty/chubby/hottie

Height: 5'6

Default resting on my laurels?

i'm not even sure how to word my post or what advice i'm seeking, so whatever you throw at me will be appreciated.

2 things are kinda bugging me.

1) the other night i was watching the dr. oz show. at one point he was talking to a woman who had a sugar addiction. he put her on a scale and weighed her...she weighed 189 pounds. both of them...in unison...kind of went, "ugh, bad," or something to that effect. i've recently lost 30 pounds and currently weigh 185. i thought to myself, "holy crap! she only weighs 4 pounds more than i do and that's enough for dr. oz to go 'UGH' on television!" it sort of drove home the point that, while i have lost some weight and i'm looking better and feeling better, the truth is i still have quite a way to go. i think recently i've been a little loosey goosey with my program...as if i can slow down now simply because i'm in the 180's. why would i do that? i'm not sure...but i'm glad that dr. oz groaned on television. it's given me the push i needed to KEEP GOING!

2) as i'm losing weight and my body is changing...i seem to be getting MORE self conscious. some days i throw on a pair of jeans and say, "yep...lookin good sister!" but sometimes i'm horribly critical of myself...dissecting this fat bit or that bit of pudge...but 30 pounds ago i never gave it a second thought. i was just like, "yep. i'm overweight. WHATEVER." even with my boyfriend...sometimes when he's got his hands on me i'll think, "oh i hope he doesn't notice that fat right there." UH HELLO?? what about the fat 30 pounds ago? why did that fat not bother me? (for the record my boyfriend loves me madly and has never said a peep about my weight or my body negatively. so he isn't fueling my crazy fire...this is all me. )

i guess i'm just wondering if anyone else notices things like this happening as they lose weight. any insights?
taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #2  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I've found myself hating my body MORE as I lose weight. I see the number on the scale go down down down, but my brain doesn't register the difference in the mirror.

As far as Dr Oz. Screw 'im. Those shows are all about shock value. There are so many things in play that it can't come down to just weight. How old was she? Did she have children? Was her frame larger than average? How tall was she? Are most of her family members overweight? I know many disagree, but some people just don't fit the formula. I'm also 5'6", and at my healthiest, I was 160 pounds. Under that I looked like a skeleton. I don't care if my doctor wants me at 140 pounds, or if my 5'6" girlfriend is 115 pounds.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #3  
making a new me

that's the thing that bothers me most i guess. she had one child that i'm aware of (i dont' have any). she was at least ten years older than i am (if i remember correctly). i sort of felt like....dang! i don't have these excuses that she has.

and i am the same way...if i weigh less than around 145-150 i start looking very awkward and i don't feel well at all.

i guess i just didn't expect that kind of response to 189, because when i saw 189 for the first time in a long while i was more like:
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yep, I have the same issues with now being body critical. At 250+, I frankly no longer thought about being fat, I just was. Now that I'm working on it, its the focus of nearly every waking hour. Mind you, I needed that focus but I'm not finding it very pleasant.

In fact to keep the focus I have been making a point to watch the new Dr Oz show even though I don't really need the information (I used to teach the same stuff he covers and don't watch talk shows), but to continue to have the message in my face about what obesity is doing for my body. The one thing I have noticed is what numbers he cringes on for BP readings. My blood pressue has been the same number since I was 18 (I'm 49 now), but my reading is now considered borderline (130/85). My doctor isn't concerned as this isn't an increase for me but Dr Oz is basing on current guidelines and he doesn't like seeing people with numbers like that. I'm hoping the weight loss and increased cardio is going to show a better BP reading at my next physical as he's very good at making his point.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #5  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I am with ya sista. I have lost 160 lbs and weigh 145-150, depends on the day. I still just die when my boyfriend sees me naked. I feel like all my ripply fat parts are saying, "Hey Tony, look at me" He has NEVER said a word about it and acts as if he could care less about it. It is ALL me. Believe me going from 306 to 145 you would think I would be over it...NOT. I know how you feel...exactly.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

That's annoying- it's like all us girls should say UG if we weigh more than 115 lbs or what?

One of my co-workers is over 6 feet tall and she weighs 190 lbs. She is so thin! If she went on that show and Dr. Oz told her ug she'd probably punch him lol!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #7  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

LOL! My goal is 189 - 40 pounds lighter than I've ever been as an adult/teenager and for my giant, hulking body probably quite normal! If anyone ever ugh'd me they would regret the second they met me.
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #8  
making a new me

ha! yeah. when he made that noise i felt shamed. i would never be weighed on television....but that still had to sting at least a little.

Last edited by taylor; 09-24-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #9  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I don't get how that is supposed to help anyone. Who will take an "UGH," coming from a physician no less, in a motivational spirit? I would be annoyed, if not downright upset. That's just mean. Not all of us can lead the straight and narrow life diet-wise, Dr. Oz. Calm down.

(end rant)
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote