Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 AM   #1  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default Denim skirts and figures

Hello, can I pick your brains?

I'm shopping for some new skirts, specifically (very) long denim skirts (I'm a long skirt junkie!). I came across this site and wondered if anyone here had any experience buying from them?

http://www.denimskirts.com/

Specifically, their plus size long denim skirts (link), which look lovely and reasonably affordable.

I've had a look at their Facebook page which has some encouraging reviews, but if there's any expertise here on 3fc with them, I'd love to hear it

Secondly - kind of tied in to this - I'd like to get your opinion on which size to order/what style would look good on me. My figure is, I think, a bottom-heavy hourglass. I have a large chest and quite broad shoulders which would be perfectly balanced out by my hips if the eye weren't drawn to the mahoosive thighs going on below them (my waist is small in comparison).

Am I right in thinking that an A-line skirt would fit ok? I guess I'd order based on my hip size, and because of the style it would skim over the rest of my thighs ok. If the waist is too big I'll have it taken in - there's a very good dressmaker here in town so that's not a problem for me

Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated!
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

I've never tried them, or seen them - but from the pictures these are the ones I like the best...

... as far as what shapes would look good on you - if you've got the small waist I say flaunt it (#3). Hourglass figures get lots of attention
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbear24 View Post
I've never tried them, or seen them - but from the pictures these are the ones I like the best...

... as far as what shapes would look good on you - if you've got the small waist I say flaunt it (#3). Hourglass figures get lots of attention
Thanks! I also quite like the brown skirt, but I'm not sure I'd go for the mermaid style - I think it'd just draw too much attention to my enormous upper legs. I could also draw attention to my waist by choosing a top that does that (whilst also making the most of my boobs - ha! Goodbye, all my tent tops!).

Just to be cheeky, you know, I'm thinking about getting this one, because I'd love to go to church with "Jesus" embroidered onto my bottom!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #4  

I just noticed the consider an 18 a regular size. I'm not sure what size you are, but if 18's workfor you i really like this one and this one.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #5  

My body's weird - my waist could be a 14 or so according to that site, but my hips and thighs...would have "issues" with that.

But I definitely agree that those two are really nice, especially the one with red embroidery! AND both are also in the plus sizes bit, which makes it doubly nice I've sent off an email to the company asking for some advice and details. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon
Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #6  

*Sigh* I gave in an ordered one. Skirts are my downfall. #1 from above, but in the lighter denim version.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbear24 View Post
*Sigh* I gave in an ordered one. Skirts are my downfall. #1 from above, but in the lighter denim version.
OOOOOO will you post a photo of yourself when it arrives? And let me/us all know what the fabric/fit/service/etc is like?

I'm so excited for you!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #8  

Ok, my sister and I have ordered a whole bunch of stuff together I'm excited!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #9  

Dude! Salsa! I ordered my skirt on the 9th and got it today!
Fabric seems great - fancier button than I had expected, but I still like it.

I got the 18 - which fits on my waist. It's still long enough to look right, and as I lose weight it will lower to fit my hips and the legnth will still work! Woohoo!

I'm quite happy!

So, I was talking to my hubby about how the skirt would fit now and then. I also metioned ordering all of the other skirts I wanted - and he suggested that every 5lbs I loose I could order another skirt. 5lbs is too many skirts, so we agreed on 10lbs. So every 10 lbs = skirt! Woohoo! Perhaps I need to find another skirt place. 8 jean skirts is alot!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #10  

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Excitement!

My sister and I got an email saying our skirts have been dispatched So I'm really excited

And what a cool idea to use them as progress markers Your hubby sounds very cool. Hurray for chaps in life who support us losing weight and looking fantastic in our lovely clothes!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am so excited that you posted this website!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE long denim skirts, especially with bohemian and hippy type clothing. I have my eye on a few of these babies! I want one of the vintage dirty looking ones to wear with black opaque tights, my black gothic Mary Janes, and a simple black blouse. I have some great boho earthtone tops/tights/shoes that will go great with them as well.

Thanks for posting such a great site!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #12  

You're welcome! Enjoy!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #13  

Ok. After shipping and customs (arrrgh!) THE SKIRTS HAVE ARRIVED!!

Only they're not here yet; they're at my sister's, where they were delivered to. I'll pick them up on Friday. And then they'll have to go to the tailor's to take the waist in.

And THEN I'm going to have COOL NEW SKIRTS!! Including one with "Jesus" stitched onto the right bottom That's going to become my second Sunday skirt lol!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #14  

I HAVE NEW SKIRTS

And they're massively too big *giggle* I need to visit the tailor's in town. They skim wonderfully comfortably over my hips and thighs, but are so big in the waist that some enthusiastic hip-wiggling would leave me rather embarrassed. My sister loves hers too: she's somewhat more "normally" shaped so hers fit perfectly
Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I truly love the A-line skirt. I think the key is to find one with the right amount of flair. I like mine with just a slight A-line. When I put on the rounder A Line I think it adds pounds. Have fun. I just love a great skirt!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote