Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #1  

Default Clothing suggestions for top-heavy women?

Hi ladies (and gents)

Losing weight is the ultimate goal, but how do you look nice in the meantime? I know it's difficult to find clothes that flatter the thicker figure, but I was wondering what types of clothes look good on a girl who has the unfortunate issue of a large waist/bust/arms.

What is one to do if they have tone legs, tone lower tummy, nice hips--But a very large bulge above the navel/under breasts, large lumps of "back fat" that make your shirt stick out, and thick upper arms that wont fit into normal-cut sleeves! Its really hard to find shirts that don't make you look like a penguin

Has anyone tried ribbed corsets? Do they work? I heard they are good for back pain and posture if worn correctly.
Vani11a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Wide leg trousers will help you look more balanced overall, especially if they are in lighter colours. For example, pair a dark t-shirt with wide leg jeans or wide leg grey or brown trousers. If you have nice legs, show them off with wide-leg shorts or an A-line skirt; nice legs will make you appear thinner.

To minimize heaviness on top, don't wear any ruffles or pleats around your problem areas. Don't wear huge patterns. Make sure you have a good bra. Empire waist shirts and shirts that appear to give you a waist are good. V-line and boat neck shirts will make you look longer and leaner.

Layers are very flattering. It's easy to hide a tummy under a cardigan or jacket, or by layering clothes in such a way that draws the eye away from your problem areas; ie. wearing a a black or dark coloured t-shirt over another bright coloured shirt so that you have a line of bright colour around the smallest part of your hips and around the neck line.

If I think of any more tips, I'll add them!
canadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #3  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I'm quite busty and I like empire waist tops.. they hug you a bit more under the chest. Sometimes it's hard to not look completely round when your shirts drop straight off your chest.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

The What Not To Wear books (the US ones are ok, but the UK ones are a lot more specific, I find) really are good and worth taking a look if you're unsure what works.

I'm top heavy with small hips and thighs, no butt, and not really long legs so I know it's a challenge not to look like a barrel on stilts.

I like V necks but no crew or boat necks. Tops that have the fake crossover at the chest work well but wrap tops don't. As someone already suggested, a wideish leg pant helps balance things. Avoid cap sleeves. An empire waist top or dress can be ok or it can be really awful, it's hard to find them to fit well and not look like maternity wear, esp if you're hiding some belly under there. Think fitted tops, but not tight, and as someone suggested - a good bra goes a long way. So do Spanks tank tops. They really smooth things out.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #5  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

The others have good tips, but I wanted to add that longer tops that come to your hips will help too. They will smooth the transition from your top half to your bottom half. V necks are great. I like the empire waist thing too, but I have a hard time finding ones that fit my chest in. Tops that tie in the back are in this season and keep you from looking like a bag lady. I found a lot of nice ones a month or so ago at Belk's (department store, similar to Macy's).

Oh, and get stretchy fabrics. I avoid silks and non-stretchy cottons because they have no give to go around the curves.

Good luck!
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #6  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
An empire waist top or dress can be ok or it can be really awful, it's hard to find them to fit well and not look like maternity wear, esp if you're hiding some belly under there.
Peronsally, I find that the empire waist tops that work are the ones where the waist isn't right under the bust and is clearly marked using either a thick ribbon or band... or the top is fitted for an inch to two inches under the bust before it flares out. For me, I find this means the top is flowing off the narrowest part of my body.

Empire tops that gather right under the bust are awful though. They make me look pregnant.

Just something I've noticed while shopping.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #7  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I understand the challenges because I'm also quite top-heavy (started at 44J, now 42H) and I agree with everyone. Wide-Leg trouses or at the very least flared trousers balance you out. If you like skirts wear A-Lined ones or those 50's style ones that exaggerate the hips, no bias cut and the most universally flattering length is right at the knee or right under the knee before the calf starts.

Also wide belts (elasticated at the back is more comfy- I got mine from UK site Evans but Torrid in the US has several too) make your waist look smaller giving the illusion of wider hips which balance out the exaggerated top. They also suck in spare tires/back fat and camouflage stomach problem areas. I wear a belt with everything even cardigans, t-shirts and jeans. They're also really good with dresses and cinching in the waist (again with the giving the appearance of an hourglass where the top matches the bottom).

Layering is also your friend as long as you keep fit in mind. Light cardigans (worn unbuttoned or with only one or two buttons done up right under the chest at the thinnest part of your body) and fitted jackets worn open but drawn over the the chest (or worn buttoned if the buttons hit in the right place... hint: the cinching in button should be right underneath the chest or at the very least wherever the smallest part of your body is). I've found that cardigans can be bought anywhere (personally I prefer the cheaper, thinner Old Navy/Sears etc kind to the more expensive department store (Macy's) kind because often those hang in a little more "granny" like way and don't fit the body as well as the cheaper kind. As far as jackets, I've had luck at Macy's and especially Torrid (love the fit of their jackets!!!): Old Navy and Lane Bryant jackets never fit me properly, the buttons rest awkwardly across my chest.

People have mentioned empire-waist tops. Personally I belt them right under the chest and/or wear a cardigan over them because otherwise I find that they can make look a little pregnant (with the combination of the chest and the ambiguous stomach).

A well-draped scarf (the longish pashmina kind not the square kind) can break up a chest that seems a little overwhelming. I like one end to dangle down the middle of my chest because it breaks up the sea of shirt fabric stretched across my chest.

Also, if you didn't have a mother who poked and prodded you in the back to stand up straight/have good posture, wearing heels forces you to stand up straight which makes the chest look perkier and less like it spans from your underarms to your waist. The heels don't have to be that high... anything higher than a flat will do even 1.5 inches.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

Height: 5'7"

A good, properly fitting bra is the BEST investment I've ever made, no matter where I am weight-wise.

If you are busty, this will be expensive. I tend to spend a minimum of $60 a bra. But my clothes fit better, my back feels better, I look better and feel sexier(!) no matter where I am weight-wise. Before you buy other clothes, do yourself a big favor and invest in some good bras.

I recommend going to Nordstroms or a specialty bra store, where there are an abundance of sizes and experienced women draped with tape measures, who will not blink an eye at whatever size or weight you are. (Victoria's Secret just doesn't cut it, size or service-wise!!!) The fitters in these stores are experts and only interested in fitting you properly and comfortably. Trust me, they have seen it all, and there is no reason to be embarrassed for any reason.

All bras are cut differently, and these women will keep bringing them to you and help you determine what fits and flatters you best.

Again, it will probably not be cheap. But trust me, from one top-heavy chick to another, it is SO worth it.
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #9  

Thanks for your replies everyone

I do like to wear boot-cut or flared jeans, and I always wear a good fitting bra. I usually wear long sleeve tunics that come down to my hips. But, one problem keep comin back... the tummy bulge? How do you deal with it
Vani11a is offline   Reply With Quote