Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #1  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'4"

Default It's terribly frustrating.

So, I went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago and I no longer have prediabetes according to my blood glucose level. It went from 114 to 72. (I created an earlier post about this). I went to the doctor yesterday after having blood drawn and tested... and I have "really high" insulin levels and I am at risk for diabetes. Again. Sigh.
It's just so frustrating. I worked so hard to lose so much weight, and got so happy when I was told that I have perfect levels, and then I go and find out that... nope... my glucose is normal, but my insulin levels are high. what the heck. I don't even understand it. -_-
So, I'm backing to worrying about getting diabetes before I ever even hit 21.
I'm still dieting and exercising... my diet is even more intense. I eat 1200 calories a day still, but my doctor told me instead of eating a sandwich, eat half the sandwich and then a couple of hours later eat the other half. You know, small meals but more frequently.

Let me tell you something. It sucks. So bad.

I make a nice turkey sandwich and have soup on the side. I get half the sandwich and 1/4 can of soup.
I'm slightly content. I drink a lot of water to fill my stomach up so I don't get hungry again so quickly.. But gosh, it sucks.

I dont remember the last time I was happily full. I'm always just content, I'm always thinking of calories. And now my stomach has shrunk so I know I can feel full sooner... but I'm not allowed to get there :/

GAH. I'm just so angry that I let myself get to this position in the first place. At least I learned of the elevated levels while I could still do something about it, eh?

My goal is to be in onederland by my 20th birthday... December 4. That gives me a little over 3 months to lose 35 lbs :/ I know it's pushing it, but if I eat low carb and increase my exercise, I'm positive I can do it.

It's just so frustrating, and I apologize for such a long complaint. It just sucks to be happy thinking you're in the clear of having health problems, and then BAM, just kidding. You still fail. -__-

oh well Just means I have to work harder, eh?
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Offhanded question, but, do you have any of the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Hyperinsulinimia, which is typically associated with insulin resistance, tends to present easier without actual diabetes in those with PCOS. Something to consider, in any case, if you're wondering why your insulin is so high: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pol...ndrome/DS00423

Anyway, also keep in mind that "at risk for" does not mean "will get". I have 10 million risk factors for diabetes, but with proper diet and exercise, the chances that I will get it are actually closer to normal folks. No "chance" is a diagnosis or absolute.

As for eating small meals more frequently, that does work for some people. But some people get frustrated with never feeling full, and that frustration leads to them falling off plan, which doesn't help weight loss at all! So if you feel like this way of eating isn't working for you, and that you could do 1200 calories a day (that's low, by the way, for your current weight...any reason you opted to drop to that an extreme a level?) more easily with three meals, I vote you go for that. At the end of the day, most people find that it's usually a simple matter of reducing your calories IN, and if you do that, it doesn't matter so much when you're eating, etc.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I know it's not my place to judge, but personally, IMO, I think you're not eating enough. At my weight and height I'm eating 1400 calories and losing steadily. When I was your weight I was eating around 1800 and losing 2 lbs a week. I think it'd help you emotionally and physically to try and up your calories. You might see an initial gain, but I promise it'll come back down.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #4  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

ugh, i dont have any great advice, but im sorry to hear that.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/216/125

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirit View Post
I know it's not my place to judge, but personally, IMO, I think you're not eating enough. At my weight and height I'm eating 1400 calories and losing steadily. When I was your weight I was eating around 1800 and losing 2 lbs a week. I think it'd help you emotionally and physically to try and up your calories. You might see an initial gain, but I promise it'll come back down.
I agree, I'm the same weight as you, shorter and I can get away with 1800 calories per day

I think you'll feel a lot better if you felt full more often. I just cut an orange for a snack and I don't even feel like eating it because I'm still full from breakfast. I'd suggest upping your calories.. try it and see?
000cozzie000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 PM   #6  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Offhanded question, but, do you have any of the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
I have almost all of the symptoms, but they have come at very different stages in my life so I don't think I have that :/ But who knows?

Never feeling full is not so bad... it just takes some getting used to. I just sometimes miss eating delicious food until I'm stuffed :P I think I make let it happen once every week or two... just so I can stick to the plan.

As for more calories... *shrugs* idk, I no longer count exactly how many calories I consume, I just kinda guestimate and I'm averaging 1200-1400. I figured I'm short and I'm not very active (except for my evening walks and bike rides), and I don't get tired very often, so the amount of calories I'm taking in is going ok with my body...
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinechaos View Post
As for more calories... *shrugs* idk, I no longer count exactly how many calories I consume, I just kinda guestimate and I'm averaging 1200-1400. I figured I'm short and I'm not very active (except for my evening walks and bike rides), and I don't get tired very often, so the amount of calories I'm taking in is going ok with my body...
That's fine, it's your body and I'm sure you know how it works best. Let me ask you something, though.

If you're eating the BARE minimum in order for your body to healthy, what's going to happen when you plateau (almost every single one of us does, it's not a matter of if)? You can't safely reduce your calories anymore... you shouldn't exercise more without eating more calories, which would negate any calories burnt while exercising. IMO, you're screwing with your metabolism. Weight loss shouldn't be fast. At the most you should lose 1% of your body weight per week. I was there once, too. We all were. We all want the weight off NOW. But I'd rather go slow, take it off slowly, and not have the risk of gaining it back or screwing with my metabolism.

That's just me, though. Good luck.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote