Old 08-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: Upper 170s/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Too much of a deficit?

I recently decided that I wanted to up my exercise routine by switching out a power yoga tape with full on commitment to the 30 Day Shred. I have also been running 45 min every other day, and wanted to continue this through the 30 Days.

I am on L1 D4 of 30 Day shred, and I feel miserable. I'm not sure what it is... maybe allergies (I've had a runny nose and sneezing), maybe it's from my bcp (I just started Yaz 2 weeks ago and have been spotting) maybe I'm not getting enough calories. I generally get between 1000-1200 calories a day (I admit, it's kind of low), and that had been working for me while I was simply running and doing yoga.

After adding the 30 Day Shred into the mix, I feel so fatigued an sore that I'm not sure I should go running. Also, prior to adding the 30 Day Shred in, I was losing at a good rate (2-3 lbs a week), and now I am at a standstill. I'm often guilty of being a little too motivated and too rigid with myself... My 21st birthday is coming up on September 12th and I thought that if I cranked it up, I could get down to 145 by then. Ok, now I'm realizing how unrealistic that is. I feel terrible! Any suggestions? Should I up my calories and continue the same amount of exercise?
kasmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #2  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

Well I recommend upping your calories because that sounds really low to me.

A couple of weeks ago I tried dropping my calories to 1200 and upping my exercise to over an hour a day. It was a disaster. I was tired and miserable to my husband and I didn't lose a thing because my body was holding on to everything I gave it. I'm back up to 1400-1600 calories now and I'm much happier. While I'm not sure if the scale has started moving again, I do know that my body is changing shape again and I feel healthier.

The 30 day shred, while short, is pretty intense and adding that to the running may be enough to put you into too much of a deficit. If it's exhausting you, that's a good sign that you may need more fuel.

And there's no point in feeling miserable while doing this.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

When I did 30 Day Shred I stopped losing weight completely, for the entire month I didn't lose one pound. I ended up stopping because I went away for 1 week and had no access to it, and lost 3 pounds. A lot of the girls that were doing it (there was a whole thread at one time), and most of us were stalling. I did however get some GREAT definition! People were commenting on how much smaller I looked.

That might be the source of your stall in weight loss, what about running and then doing 30DS after? That way if you don't complete it at least you already have your workout in! Hope you get over this stall soon, there really isn't anything more frustrating!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #4  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

Doing 30DS might be adding muscle, which might be my problem too. I alternate doing 30DS, Wii Active and walking/jogging, sometimes doing 2 things per day. I'm not losing the weight as quickly as I thought I would, but my co-worker today said she can already see a big difference in my shape. So I must be toning and building muscle.

I do agree though that 1000 calories is probably a little low if you are exercising a lot. Maybe try sticking to 1200-1300 and see if it jump starts your body again. You've already lost a lot, keep up the good work!
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

The same exact thing happened to me when I did the 30DS...I was on a STRICT calorie cycling diet, low carbs...no sugar, I was doing the gym 1 hour 5 days a week, running 3 miles a day AND doing 30DS in the evenings (I know...a bit extreme) and I did not lose anything, by day 14 I was so ticked off that the scale wasnt moving that I threw in the towel...but like SWIM GIRL said, I did get great definition in the short time I did do it.

I guess the choice is yours but it was so incredibly hard to see that the scale was not moving, even though I was toning, mind over matter defeated me, lol.

Keep up the good work and good luck!
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #6  
Heck Yes!

S/C/G: 235/231/165

Height: 6'0

I agree with Sylvied- You need to up your calories. You don't have much more to loose so if you have such a high deficit then your body will hold on too much. Let your body tell you how its feeling. If you're tired, then you need to take it easier. Keep up the good work exercising though! You'll get there!
yesimhappilymarried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Upper 170s/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'5"

Thanks everyone! I'm glad (though that sounds bad) to hear that others had issues stalling on 30 Day Shred. What I'm aiming for isn't necessarily a smaller weight, but a smaller dress size, and I need to remember that.

I think I will up my calories a bit, and make sure to take in at least 1400 on the days that I'm doing both running and 30 Day Shred. Perhaps I also ought to change my goal to measurements, not weight, by a certain date.
kasmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Honestly you are so low already this is when your body needs more fuel. Its not like you have tons of fat stores for it to use.

Ever since I got my Gowear Fit I've make some startling discoveries.

If I have more than a 1000 cal deficit, my body stalls. Since I have 3000+ burn days several days a week I have to eat closer to 2000 calories those days. You need to feed your body. We are almost exactly the same weight. Trust me on this

Candice
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 246/239/170ish

Definitely up your calories, and maybe add a protein shake in after your workouts.
Etudes is offline   Reply With Quote