Old 08-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #1  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

Default I'm quitting my scale

In October.

I've been at a plateau for 2 months now... I plateaued earlier this year, stuck within the same 4 lbs for a month. Well this time I've been at a plateau for TWO months and stuck within the same ONE lb for that time. I can't take any more plateaus. I am getting so frustrated stepping on the scale everyday seeing the same number.

I feel like I need to reconfigure my diet & fitness goals and take how much I weigh out of it. I even feel like I want to stop losing weight, even though I'm a good 35-45 lbs heavier than I want to be. I feel like I want to just concentrate on healthy eating and becoming stronger and more active and seeing if weight loss results (by how my clothes fit).

I move from Korea this weekend and will go home to America for a month. In America, I have my fancy schmancy digital scale (here I have a manual kg scale) that even measures body fat and I know I'll weigh myself regularly when home, especially to make sure I don't gain back any of the 20+ lbs I lost this year in Korea. But in October, I'm moving to Australia for 8 months--and I don't want a scale. I want to get there, eat a whole foods diet, start training for some 5-10ks and get active.

Anyone else ever give up the scale and have success?
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I'm kind of the opposite. I used to hate the scale, but now that I weigh myself every day, it helps me be accountable at night.

However, I'm not on a plateau, so is different for me

Based on what you said, maybe that's the best thing for you. It certainly sounds like a good plan
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

I want to stop weighing myself until halloween but I'm afraid of gaining it all back! I am sooooo paranoid with the scale I weigh myself after everythn I eat or drink! I'm stuck at the weight I'm at but the last 2 months were easy the 25lbs just rolled off! I knw where ur coming from I just hope you are happy with watever desicion you make good luck!
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

omg we are the same weight and i am on a plateau too! But since january Ive also just quite weighing daily though as well! Well, my battery died xD So im using my super cool body fat analyser one once a week.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 AM   #5  
Joggernaut

I've gotten to the point where I don't even expect a different number... I wonder if my pessimism is messing with my body? Er, probably not, but maybe?? That's why I want to stop... I hope I stop viewing the scale number in correlation to how I like my body. When I was slowly but surely losing (1-3 lbs a month), I felt okay with the scale not moving much... but now that is has not moved AT ALL, it's really bringing me down.

I've gone on a couple vacations recently and in my pictures, I think I look the best I have in a long time... I only weigh 3 lbs less than I did in January but I think I look much better now. I feel I need to focus on that.. the mirror, pictures, etc, and not the scale number.

OH YEAH and in the past, I tended to avoid the scale when I was eating badly and not exercising. But now I just want to prove to myself that my body is good enough now... I can stop trying to lose weight (aka weighing everyday) and just believe my body is good enough to wear nice clothes or run races or be active, etc.

Last edited by joyra; 08-25-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #6  

Height: 4'11"

I stopped weighing myself a long time ago. I weigh myself maybe once a month now. at first it was really hard to "let go" of the control of seeing what I weighed every day, but I was driving myself crazy. Not weighing myself helped me get back to the basics of WHY i am eating healthy/exercising... (for me, personally) not for a specific number, but to feel better and look better. But different things work for different ppl. I can say that getting rid of the scale was a blessing for me!!
ravensglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #7  
Joggernaut

It's funny because when people posted on here in the past that they wanted to stop weighing themselves, I thought it was pretty crazy--I could not relate! But I guess I feel I'm at the breaking point... I'm feeling it's more important how I look and feel than the number.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #8  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Scales should not measure how happy you are with yourself.

Let them go.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

but they do
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 AM   #10  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
but they do
Agreed! They shouldn't, but they do.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/190/160

Height: 5'4"

I struggle with this same thing. It drives me crazy when I weigh in more than once a week and am disappointed with the outcome. It also drives me crazy not to weigh in. Sometimes I feel like I need to stop weighing in so much, but I know I can't.
IHeartMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #12  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMe View Post
Sometimes I feel like I need to stop weighing in so much, but I know I can't.
Yes, yes you can. I've known girls who have needed to literally throw it out a window and break it, but yes, you seriously can.

I used to weigh myself every day. It only ever made me feel inadequate with myself and panic if I gained even a little. Then I stopped, cold turkey. I haven't weighed myself in months, and I feel ten pounds lighter.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 08-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote