Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Default Uggghhh.. workouts...

I've been struggling this week to make myself workout.. my cardio totals have been lower this week than in the past 2, but I'm keeping up with strength training I guess..

I don't know if it's a lack of energy, motivation, or both. Whatever it is, I'm trying really hard to get past it. Any ideas on how to make myself workout?? I'm guessing I just have to do it. So I will.

I don't have a gym membership so I just workout at home.. usually workout DVDs for cardio and sparkpeople.com for strength training. What kind of cardio do you at-homers do??
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 380/380/198

Height: 6'3

I feel that way at times to. I always tell myself what is an hour or a bit more of my time when it's adding years to my life. How much does it take to just do an hour. I tell myself that and it usually works and also of course read stories on here!

Last edited by Nate0201; 08-20-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Nate0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

Height: 5'2"

I've been having a rough week too. I wish I knew the answer on how to motivate oneself.

I do Wii stuff. The Active 30 Day challenge, some boxing, tennis, upper & lower strength. I LOVE doing it!
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

When I get into that frame of mind, nothing gets me out of it OTHER than a good workout. Crank up some good music, or change out the tunes on your Ipod if that's what you use...It's amazing what a different location or soundtrack to your same-old-same-old workout will do for your motivation.

Other than that, some weeks (particularly near the end of the week) nothing motivates me to go. I just have to MAKE myself get up and get on the elliptical trainer. After about 15 minutes my attitude seems to change, and it's not so bad...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Sometimes I just tell myself : " Shut up and do it ! " lace up my runners and head outside... Since you work at home and do DVDs maybe heading out doors is a nice options...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #6  
nb3

S/C/G: 175/169/163(1st)

I just posted a thread about this in the fitness forum, so forgive me if it's a repeat for some.

I HATE exercise! So I've done something fun instead. My husband and I go disc golfing. Yesterday, we disc golfed for nearly 2 hours and I burned 476 calories! I couldn't believe it.

This morning, my biceps, butt and sides were sore so I also made use of some muscles by throwing the discs.

I checked the PDGA course finder and there are 183 in Texas - the courses are usually free, so you may want to check it out!
nb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #7  
Baby Stepping Along

Do you have or would you consider NetFlix? They have a huge selection of fitness videos so maybe a change of video would be good. You could try kickboxing or a dance type video. I really like some of the Prevention videos. I think they are well done and most have appropriate modifications for various levels. One strategy could be to get some to try them out and then use the ones you like as rewards for completing weekly cardio goals.

I have struggled all the time with exercise compliance but I have been having good luck the last couple of months setting a monthly minute minimum and using a ticker to track that. It's working well and I'm also in the monthly exercise challenge thread over in the Chicks up for a Challenge area. I'm hoping that will carry me into and on a roll for the winter months which is when I really start to struggle. The flexibiity of maybe going longer to make that goal seems to be working well vs. setting a weekly days/minutes min so I do the bare minimum if that.

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I bought a bike for bike riding in my area ($100), and then I also bought a treadmill used on craiglist for $100. Helps me get my cardio without a gym
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I hate working out too...all the time, no matter what it seems.

However--I'm not sure if you have cable or not, but there's a health channel that has some great programs. The problem with workout DVDs is that they're always the same, whereas on this channel, it's different all the time. I like the Namaste Yoga program in particular, it feel so relaxed during it, yet it's a good workout. I have to concentrate on it enough that my mind doesn't wander to all of the stresses in my life the way it does with other workouts. I also like Total Body Sculpt with Gilad.

Also, walking outside is really nice, plus you get some good vitamin D!

Good luck motivating yourself!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #10  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I hate to exercise, BUT I have come to terms with it, sort of. What I mean is that, I know it is important for me, not only for WL but also living an overall healthy life. Now, I just do it as it's not about motivation anymore but commitment. Having said that it doesn't mean I don't struggle with it. I do!

I workout from home as gym membership did not work for me. I do run on my treadmill 3-4 times/week (I go run on the track too sometimes) and do weight training 3 times/week. I also like to watch TV (usually old shows or movies I rent via Netflix) while I run on my treadmill otherwise I can't do it.

I am a visual person so I have my weekly routines printed and taped to the wall where I just follow it without thinking. I also have a calendar hanging on the wall where I 'X' out days I workout. It's very satisfying to see the number of days I consistently workout.

Sometimes, mixing things helps. For example, today - I'll attempt to do this Firm 500 calorie workout DVD - rented via Netflix

Last edited by pintobean; 08-20-2009 at 02:32 PM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for all the help!

I ended up going to walk around this park by my apt.. walked for 35 minutes. I do want to check out the whole Netflix thing though.. that sounds like something I would lovee

Thanks again! Love!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #12  
Baby Stepping Along

Great work!

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhrisuh View Post
Thanks for all the help!

I ended up going to walk around this park by my apt.. walked for 35 minutes. I do want to check out the whole Netflix thing though.. that sounds like something I would lovee

Thanks again! Love!
Good for you
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #14  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Oh also, I workout from home. I have DVDs and the Wii ♥
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #15  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

I like working out from home, there are lots of ways to add variety and change your workout around. I have loads of workout DVDs and of course the Wii games, but I'm also fond of doing circuits in the back garden.

I put out my rebounder, step, skipping rope and kettlebells and do a minute at each station. Lovely for warm evenings!
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote