Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Default working out question

The last 2 weeks I've been sticking pretty well to my WW points, drinking my water, and working out at the gym. I go about 3-4 times a week, doing cardio for 30 minutes, and some light weight training. I also swim on some days as a nice cool down. I've only lost about 2 pounds... I've heard when you first start working out, your body has to get used it, or that I am building muscle mass at first instead of losing weight. I'm thrilled with the idea of gaining muscle, but I would like to lose a little more weight...
Any ideas?
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #2  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

I am 146 and sitting here....My body is mostly muscle...I lost fat but gain muscle quickly...You have to cut back on calories...But your on WW right? Maybe you should up your workouts...I do harder cardio now...And longer weight training...
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #3  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

When you say cardio, what are you doing? I've been working with a personal trainer (also on WW), and your body will hold on to that water for a little while. Also, you are going to be building muscle, so rather than going just by the # on the scale, take your measurements. There was a time when my # wasn't going down, but found I've lost 3 inches in my waist, 2 in each leg, etc. etc.

As for cardio, I was walking (a lot) and jogging (a little) on the treadmill. Trainer said that to get a workout on a treadmill you have to have an incline, your body walks every day, so you have to "up it" a little bit to lose.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Increase the intensity in your workouts is one way of busting a plateau it will increase your metabolism. Try intervals of walking and then some jogging or running or inclines. You say you do "some light weight training" go heavier build more muscle you'll burn more calories at rest than with no muscles. Do NOT worry about bulking up, women just don't have the testosterone to get bulky, if it was so easy to bulk up, wouldn't it be easier to just tone? It takes time to tone so don't be shy with the weight training...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #5  

I'm not worried about "bulking up"--I know that's very hard to do, lol! I do about 30 minutes of elliptical, or a spinning class, or water aerobics. Jogging is out for me due to back problems, which is why the elliptical is so nice. I could up that to 45 minutes a session, and increase my weights.
I stay on my WW daily points, and don't use many of the 35 "bonus" points we get every week. I lost 40 pounds a few years ago very quickly, but I had also just stopped taking Paxil at the same time, so that's probably why it dropped so fast.
I put the weight back on (crap), and am now trying to lose again. I'm on Zoloft right now, which works well, but maybe it is slowing down my weightloss...
Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

When you're doing the elliptical you can increase your intensity by doing intervals by going all out for 1 minute then getting your heart rate back down for another minute, this will increase your metabolism...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #7  

I'm with Ilene, increasing the intensity is one of the best ways to rack up the number of calories burned. I would look into some HIIT training. That's worked very well for me.
fitnessgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #8  

Thanks for the tips guys--I'm just starting to get so frustrated!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #9  

Did elliptical and spinning class today--sooooore!