100 lb. Club - My New Job

View Full Version : My New Job

Pita09
08-17-2009, 10:33 PM
After networking and being patient for almost three years, I finally got a job at Starbucks. I have wanted the chance to get into this company for so long and to see if it will be a good fit for me for the long-term. Right now I will be a Barista (coffee making partner) but in time I really hope to get a store of my own.

Today I started my training. There will be lots of tasting of coffee and pastry over the next three weeks. I will have to count those calories and workout extra hard. I'm determine to not let this new job ruin my weight loss like the convenience store did.

I just wanted to share my wonderful news! :woohoo:

I love coffee!!! :coffee::coffee2:

Windchime
08-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Congratulations, Pita! I'm not a coffee drinker but I go into Starbucks sometimes with a friend and it's a cool place. I would have trouble with those treats in the case; they all look so yummy. Is tasting them part of your training? I think that's what you're saying. If so, yikes--those things look GOOD to me.

Best of luck in your new career. Wouldn't it be cool to own your own franchise!??

crazycurls
08-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Congrats!!!

everanderson
08-17-2009, 11:15 PM
:bravo: Yeah for you!! It's awesome to get something you've worked so long and hard for!

Onederchic
08-17-2009, 11:18 PM
That is wonderful, Pita! Congrats :cheer2: :hug:

kuhrisuh
08-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Congratulations! Hope you like it! :)

wendyland
08-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Awesome! I love starbucks. I don't like coffee, but I love their ice tea. I go way to often.

DCHound
08-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Good for you. I hear they tend to treat their employees well, that's great.

TaraLee
08-18-2009, 12:43 AM
One of my dearest, closest friends worked for Starbucks in Minn. where she did get her own store. She moved back to Colorado and started working for her in-laws. She missed her old job so much she went back to Starbucks in a hearbeat- even at a lower position until the new store opened and they could move her up. Must be a wonderful employer to work for!! Good for you sweetie!!

Gela
08-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Great job Pita! I hear Starbucks is a good company. Congratulations! :carrot:

TJFitnessDiva
08-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Congrats girlie!!

SunshineCA
08-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Congrats on the new gig! :D

Pita09
08-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Thank you Chickie's! :D

Windchime, I have to taste everything in the store. It will be important to understand the different taste of the coffees and teas and to know what pastries and nuts pair with them. It's all part of that famous, money making scheme called suggestive selling. ;)

TaraLee, my manager is on her second time with Bux as well. She tried to move to another job and hated it so much she went back to Starbucks. The woman is so passionate about the company it's infectious.

I'm very excited and hopeful that I've found my niche.

pintobean
08-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Congratulations!!! It's an awesome feeling when you find a job you really want to do. I love coffee!!

GirlyGirlSebas
08-18-2009, 09:04 AM
That is wonderful!

2behealthy
08-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Wonderful, just wonderful!

Sandi
08-18-2009, 10:22 AM
What great news!!

Congratulations!

VickieLou
08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Congratulations on the new Job! Enjoy the Coffee! :coffee2:

Pita09
08-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone! :hug:

I already asked and I will be able to bring a container of fat free half-n-half which is what I like best in my coffee. I also get a free pound of coffee a week to take home. Talk about perks!! :D

dragonwoman64
08-18-2009, 11:13 AM
or percs! heh heh!

congrats! I love coffee. May the universe never require me to give up my morning cup! Best of luck to you.

Slashnl
08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Congrats. I love coffee and tea. I think you have found a great place to be!

Glory87
08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey Pita - congrats!

I understand you need to taste all the product to get familiar with it, but after that's done, I would highly recommend a very strict "I don't eat anything from work" policy (barring the occasional new product you must taste for your job).

Pita09
08-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Glory, I completely agree. I know that if I start allowing myself even the occasionally "treat" outside of training and research then I will give into my temptations over and over.

My manager is all about being supportive and I will have my Tuesday nights to still attend my TOPS meetings. Having that weekly accountability is vital to me and I'm glad I will be able to keep it going. Plus, my sweetie is putting back money to take me on a major shopping trip as soon as I hit goal. No iced lemon pound cake is worth giving that up!:snooty:

Rosinante
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Congratulations!

I adore Starbucks!

thisisnotatest
08-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I am a huge fan of sb's.
But, I have to say their food is just terrible. I actually like to go because I know I won't get tempted :).
Their stuff has a wierd wet smooshy quality. Like I could take every cake and easily squish it into a ball and all the balls would look the same

Maybe its just the ones in ny, but I don't know anyone who goes to sb's for the food. Its more like they put up with the food while they have their coffee.

Just thought I'd throw that out there as a suggestion for when you get your own store.

Good luck and congrats!

Shannon in ATL
08-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Starbucks is a great company, congratulations!

YWeight
08-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Pita...Congrats on the new job.

I pass the corporate offices everyday on my way into work. I have several friends who work there and they can't say enough good things about the work environment etc. I've been invited to meetings at the Starbucks HQ, and it's funny because they serve all their "new" offerings (coffees, teas, cakes, etc) during the meetings.

Pita09
08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I think their pastry might have that "mooshy" quality because they are brought in frozen and then thawed. I don't eat much of the food, but I will say that their new oatmeal raisin cookie is about the best cookie I've ever eaten. My sweetie and I will share a cookie if I can fit it into my plan, which isn't often these days. :)