Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #1  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Default Eggplant Recipes, please!

Good morning!

I bought a beautiful purple eggplant at a farmers' market this weekend. I've never cooked with one before, so please give me your tips and tricks and favorite recipes!
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #2  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I had fried them for under tomato sauce or in lasagna, but found they absorb too much oil. Next time I will use a broth instead of butter or oil in a non-stick pan - with a lot of garlic!!!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

We tried 'Eggplant panini in Eating well website recipe this weekend and loved it!!! Following is the recipe -

2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 1/2-inch slices eggplant (about 1 small)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
8 slices whole-grain country bread
8 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
4 thin slices red onion

1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Combine mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl. Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush both sides of eggplant and sprinkle each slice with garlic salt. With the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, brush one side of each slice of bread.
3. Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula, top with cheese, and continue grilling until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more. Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
4. To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil mayonnaise on four slices of bread. Top with the cheesy eggplant, red peppers, onion and the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve warm.
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #4  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

i heart eggplants! there are so many recipes for eggplants. here are two of my favorites:

baba ganoush! = )

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/sauce...abaganoush.htm

makes for a great spread or dip

and i love ratatouille! - )
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...touille-108350
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

All of the above are great ideas!

Also, I love to make eggplant parmesan - but with the eggplant slices roasted in the oven rather than breaded and deep-fried. I often don't even bread them. Then layer the cooked slices with good tomato sauce, ricotta or cottage cheese (you can mix in garlic, salt & pepper, parsley) - the top layer with sauce and shredded parmesan cheese. Bake until bubbly and the cheese starts to brown.

Also, I love to make eggplant rollups - roasted eggplant slices wrapped around some kind of tasty cheese. Here is one recipe that comes close to what I throw together, and includes more veggies:
http://www.foodfit.com/recipes/recipe.asp?rid=77
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I am growing eggplant for the very 1st time. We are getting alot of them.So far my favorite was on the grill with just a little olive oil and garlic.I also did them on the george forman grill.I liked them mealed and baked till brown. I am in love with them. We try growing something new every year.We will be growing eggplant for many years.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #7  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Thanks, everyone! I will try some of these! I have no grill, and was a little worried about the traditional breading-and-frying killing the fresh nutritional value with so much fat and sodium!
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

I grill mine too on the george foreman. I grill them until tender then layer them in a baking dish with 1/3 cup bread crumbs, 1 cup of tomato sauce and a 28g mozerella on top and bake it in an oven until melty. Wonderful parmisean flavor and crunch with a whole eggplant's worth being about 500 calories.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 279/236/140

Height: 5'4"

I use eggplant slices in lasagna instead of some of the noodles. Just peel them, slice them and layer them in raw. Bake as you usually do and no one knows that it is eggplant they just think it is noodles.
whispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #10  
Better Posture

S/C/G: 145/125/glutes

Height: 5'6.5''

This is a recipe we do in Southern Spain. You just have to fry the eggplant with a little olive oil, not breaded needed and when you serve them in a tray you just have to add some honey on top. Delicious!
carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote