South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #1  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Height: 5'7

Default Question About Yogurt for Phase 1

Question it says you can have plain non fat low fat yogurt on phase one

this makes no sense because my nonfat yougurt (1 cup) is

130 calories
0 g fat
18 g cars
18 g sugar

and this light and fit yogurt is (6oz)

80 calories
0 g fat
16 g carbs
9 g sugar

So why are we allowed to eat the plain... yet the light and fit seems like such a better choice? lower calories? same non fat? more carbs but wayyyy less sugar??

I know we aren't supposed to eliminate the bad carbs, but what about sugar?? I thought we were supposed to shoot for low or no sugar products as well as low fat?

Trying to find things that are low fat, no sugar, no carbs... geez the menu is looking like water and umm more water... (lol joke)

Thanks in advance for the help

also phase 1 question... sugar free pudding? yes no? could that count as our 75 calories?
TinkFreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

The sugars in the plain yogurt are lactose (a carbohydrate in milk). Remember we don't count carbs on this plan. Also your plain yogurt is 1 cup (8 oz). Your Lite and Fit is 6 oz. Other than that the flavored yogurts sometimes contain modified food starches and sugars that you don't want on Phase I. My 6 oz plain fat free Greek yogurt has 9 carbs (these are lactose - milk sugars) and contains only skim milk and yogurt cultures. Much fewer processed ingredients. What kind of nonfat yogurt are you looking at? Is it plain, unflavored? The fruit in the Lite and Fit is also not allowed until Phase II.

Last edited by murphmitch; 08-10-2009 at 07:48 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM   #3  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Height: 5'7

gotcha... i know we aren't counting carbs but the book said to get rid of all the "bad" carbs so im assuming that the plain yougurt has "good" carbs? The nonfat yogurt is the giant brand. And yes its plain and unflavored.

Still trying to get used to this new way of life ...
TinkFreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Tink, as Murphmitch pointed out, the sugars in FF and LF yogurt are from the milk lactose. You want to avoid things that have added sugar. "Bad" carbs are things like white sugar, and white bread and pasta. All carbs are not the same. For example, the carbs in beans are a good thing, because they help to keep you feeling full.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Instead of looking at the carb grams, it's usually more important to check the list of ingredients. This is true for all commercially prepared products, like ketchup, salad dressing, even canned vegetables that have added sugar in them. It's crazy the amount of sugar that's added to our food. Also modified food starch. If it ends in an "ose", it's sugar. I sometimes have to look at 3 to 4 cans of beans before I find one without added sugar. Spaghetti sauce is another one that's hard to find unsweetened. In foods like bread, which is made with sugar, or salad dressings, I just try to find one with it listed the farthest down in the ingredient list (not in the first three ingredients). If everyone would start reading food labels, they would be enlightened to see how much sugar is in our food!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote