Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/Ticker/199

Default All week long I prayed to see my weight be in the 250's

Friday is my weigh in day and is the only day I get on the scale. I've been 260something for over a year and really wanted to see even 259. I did. The scale said 258.8. Instead of being happy, I thought to myself "If I get on the scale tomorrow, it'll probably say 260 or 261 again so I shouldn't be excited." That's how it is with me. I lose a tiny bit of weight over and over and over again. I didn't even trust the number enough to put it on my tracker. I changed my number from 263 to 260 but didn't put 258.8 on because I honestly fear that instead of weight loss, it's water weight loss. I worked my butt off this week. Why can't I trust myself that maybe, just maybe this time the scale will continue to go down? Does anyone else have issues like this? If so, when did it finally kick in for you that the scale was going to keep moving down instead of right back to start point.

Have a beautiful day.
CharlieJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You know, I think of water losses as real. For most of us, our bodies are not spontaneously dehydrating ourselves! Unless you take a diuretic, or exercise without drinking, I wouldn't write off the water losses. What I write off, as long as I'm reasonably on plan, are the water gains. If I'm restricting calories, I'm going to lose. If I go a bit off plan, I might maintain, but I'm hardly venturing into fat gaining territory. So I count all my new lows, and then all the blips up that follow are "just water." I found that much more motivating and happy than denying myself the pleasure of my losses.

I had constant ups and downs. I just expected to see bumps after each new low.

I'll attach a graph of a large portion of my loss to show all the bumps. I recommend graphing the weights, it makes it much easier to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graph2.jpg (16.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-07-2009 at 10:58 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

Julie, that is almost exactly what my graph looks like. I have also plotted a "trendline" on mine so I can see a long, straight line sloping straight downward. It really does help to see the graph and know that it IS heading down, despite the tiny little jigs and jags along the way.

CharlieJune, trust the loss. If it's up again a little bit tomorow, *disregard it*. It's a little blip. Stay on plan, keep your eye on the goal, and don't pay attention to a tiny upward fluctuation. If it goes up day after day, then that's something else but the little ups and downs are nothing--it's the long-term trend that we're interested in!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Yep - my graph looks more like a hacksaw blade. Overall, though, the slope is negative and I've learned to look at that. Not to say that I don't occasionally grouch that the slope isn't bigger ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #5  

Thanks so much ladies! The graph is a great idea. I think my problem is I lose motivation far too easily. I am the worst at thinking "Well, I blew it, it's never going to happen for me" and then I totally quit trying for months. I simply have a hard time believing that I will or could ever lose a significant amount of weight. I guess you could say that I am my own worst enemy when I should be my own best cheerleader. I am 45 years old and in the past 2 years I have lost both parents to cancer AND given birth to a miracle child. I know you're not supposed to want to lose weight for anyone other than yourself, but I want to lose weight so I can play on the floor for Cali and be here when she grows up. I think because I have such a huge REASON for wanting to lose weight, I am even more frightened of failure. I'm going to have to get over that though! I'm going to start a graph just like 'ya'll' suggested. Thanks for the support!

Have a beautiful day.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #6  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

I'm another big fan of graphing...

Try taking it one pound at a time; it sounds like the big picture is scaring you off. Lose a pound, just a pound. Then lose the next one. Repeat. When things go the wrong way, don't quit trying for months. Just dust yourself off and commit to losing a pound.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Charlie June. You have stated a fact you are aware of. YOu are your own worst enemy or you can be your own best CHEERLEADER!! YAYYYYYYY For YOU for recognizing that!!!

And you have proven that you can do Miracles... You have Cali!!! So think positive. It takes 21 days to make or break a habit, every day work hard to be positive! As soon as you feel like starting to be negative, think of Cali and think of something positive!! Something positive that you will be able to do for her and with her when you are fit and healthy!

We all hit bumps in the road, just get up, dust yourself off, and keep on going!

Remember when Cali was first learning to walk? How many falls did Cali have? How many times did Cali get back up and try again? Cali is now walking and running, right? Well, learn from Cali, the most special thing in your life!! Cali knows what the bumps are all about!

Keep Smilin'!

Mikki
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:52 AM   #8  

Mikki,

Thank you so much for you inspiring words. Know what I loved most? The fact that your ticker shows a two pound GAIN and you are still upbeat, positive, and optimistic!! You're absolutely right-Cali had to keep working on her goals and she's done it with a smile. I'm going to do my level best to adopt her attitude.

Have a beautiful day.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #9  
candygirl4

S/C/G: 325lbs/295lbs/250 for now

Height: 5'7''

I hear you sister, if I happen to lose a bit I seem to become more critical of myself. I am trying to accept myself for who I am, I am so much more than my weight. It is funny though people around us often do not see us so much as the outer part of us but as the inner. Why do we want to sabatoge ourselves, and how do we get to the point were we feel like we deserve better!
candygirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #10  

Candygirl, I think what it is with me and it may be with you as well, is that I have failed so many times that I am afraid to believe I can really do it this time. Each time I see the scales move a bit, instead of getting excited I become jaded and think "Yeah, and I wonder how long that'll last until it goes the other way again?" Bad attitude! I weighed in yesterday and was 258.1 I only lost a bit less than a pound this week BUT I am sooooo excited about keeping my 250s!! I changed my ticker and am just going to have to trust that it will keep moving slowly but surely. Let's make a pact to become more positive and to believe that we CAN do it. The past is the past. Let's move forward one pound at a time and accept that the fact that we ARE worth fighting for.

Have a beautiful day.