General chatter - Hey Hockey Girls!!! What's Happening???

babenwaiting
07-24-2009, 04:55 PM
Less than two months from exhibition games ... :D Boy, do I miss hockey!!!

Okay, the Hurricanes are looking good. We've retained Chad LaRose and Tuomo Ruutu (BIG raises!), gotten back Aaron Ward ... who helped us win the Cup in '06 ... got him back from Boston, and Rod Brind 'Amour should be fully recovered from his leg surgeries! With the way Cam Ward was looking in the play-offs, we should be good to go this year!

How's everybody else's teams looking? Techie, where are you?:smug:

babenwaiting
07-25-2009, 02:41 PM
:flow2: Come on, you icebunnies, I know you're out there! :flow2:

EZMONEY
07-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Join us over at the BASEBALL THREAD Babe....wink

babenwaiting
07-25-2009, 03:19 PM
After I posted "hockey girls", I thought of you, EZMONEY! :D Sorry ... Hope you're having a wonderful summer!

EZMONEY
07-25-2009, 03:56 PM
No offense Babe...I am and hope you are too!

babenwaiting
07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
ttt

babenwaiting
08-03-2009, 09:57 PM
modkittn, I see that you posted on the old thread for last year. I tried to start this one a week or so ago, but didn't get a lot of response except from our fanatical hockey fan, EZMoney!!! :D

How's that new baby girl doing? Will she be ready for skates this winter? :D How about us getting Aaron Ward back from your guys??? It never seemed right to see him in a Bruins uniform, anyway!

The 'Canes seem to have their ducks all in a row. I can barely wait for the first x-game on September 18!

All the other hockey girls ... where ARE you?

EZMONEY
08-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Hey BABE...the LA Times says the Kings may have a shot this year...I still put my money on the Ducks...at least for the "game" I watch

babenwaiting
08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Hello, hello, hello again, hockey fans! Okay, it's been a month since I started this thread, and surely everyone's hockey longings are beginning to kick in big time by now! :D The informal Camp Brind 'Amour has started here in Raleigh, and a lot of our guys are back in town ... and on the ice!!! I'm so excited about the team this year; we've added some bulk and grit, and maybe we will no longer look like Smurfs bounching off Zdeno Chara! :o :D (Well, we sort of got over that during the playoffs, didn't we? :D )

So how are your teams looking, ladies AND EZ? I'll miss our first home game on October 2 against the Flyers, but will be there for the Lightning Oct. 6.

GO, CANES!!!

techwife
08-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Well, since you asked. We lost Afinogenov, leaving us with NO crazy Russians. We also lost Spacek to, of all teams, the Habs, but we got back Mike Greir (sp), which is cool. We still have Vanek, Poms and the hunksicle Rivet. I don't have any great hopes, but I'm still looking forward to hockey season to start again.

We watched a cute Disney movie the other night, H-E-Double Hockey Sticks. It was a nice appetizer for the season to come.

Okay,

LETS GO BUFF-A-LO!!!

babenwaiting
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey there techie! I knew you were lurking SOMEWHERE, dreaming of hockey pucks and Ovie! :D 15 days until our first X-game, and I can't wait! I'll have to watch them on TV 'cause they're the same price as our regular games (and that annoys me, so I save my money for the REAL games) but ... we're getting ready for your guys, techie, AND Sid the Kid, especially Sid the Kid and Evgeny!

GO, 'CANES!!!

EZMONEY
09-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Will there be a moratorium on blood this year?

techwife
09-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Will there be a moratorium on blood this year?

:lol3: What are you kidding? That would be boring!!! :devil:

EZMONEY
09-06-2009, 05:58 PM
:dracula: says you :dracula:

techwife
09-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, if we wanted to watch a bunch of whimpy mamma's boys, we'd watch baseball! :lol3:

EZMONEY
09-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm crushed....and humiliated

babenwaiting
09-06-2009, 07:41 PM
EZ, you poor thing ... you have SUCH a hard time when you visit our NHL threads ... :D I was going to say something about the girly-men that play some of the other sports, but I don't want to completely destroy you ... :hug:

EZMONEY
09-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Hockey Women scare me...

babenwaiting
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
We're harmless, EZ! I swear ... :D

NOW, who else is starting to twitch and salivate at the thought of REAL hockey games coming within three weeks or so?????????????????? :p I'll be away for our first game but will be at the one October 6th!!! (Tampa Bay ...) My Carolina Panthers were rotten today (where has the REAL Jake Delhomme gone??? :( ) But I'm sure my Canes will come through!!!

GO HURRICANES!!!

babenwaiting
09-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Calling *techwife* ... and all other puck bunnies, granny bunnies AND EZ's!!! :D I know you're out there somewhere, techie. Our first X-game is tomorrow night here against the Preds. IT'S ALMOST TIME FOR A REAL GAME ... :p

Another you-know-what would certainly look handsome in North Carolina next year! ;)

GO 'CANES!!!

EZMONEY
09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
BABE ~ I just can't come out for hockey until it snows here....in sunny southern California....

EZMONEY
09-17-2009, 11:42 PM
:D Perfect comic! Just saw this in today's paper....goes with my previous post ;)

babenwaiting
09-17-2009, 11:49 PM
:D :D :D

Good one, EZ!

EZMONEY
10-11-2009, 09:17 AM
BUMPED up for FUNNYCANADIANGIRL....

From page 8 I think...

The baseball thread is right on top....my goodness...

But we all love baseball don't we gals!

funnycanadiangirl
10-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Oh, I am SO excited to have found this thread! Thanks EZ for bumping it for me!

I HATE living away from Canada during hockey season. I feel so adrift without hockey to watch and other fans to mock!

From what I can tell, we've got some Hurricanes fans in the house? Excellent stuff. Eric Staal (well, all of the Staals!) is from my hometown. I missed when his kid brother brought the cup home for a visit this summer, which was a total bummer...

I'm really looking forward to having a place to talk hockey, since here people say hockey... but they mean field hockey. Like it's even close to the same thing!

babenwaiting
10-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey there funnycanadiangirl! So happy to have you here to talk hockey with. I'm a little blah today 'cause we just lost to that darned Tampa last night. So we're 2 - 3 on the season now, but there were some good things about our play last night. So the Staals are from the same area you are ... what a family, though I do wonder how Linda ever sleeps (FOUR sons on the ice ... talk about something to worry about! :o ) I have this terrible habit of wanting the Hurricanes to win every game!!! :D Otherwise, I'm happy ... and looking forward to seeing the 'Canes play the Penguins when they come in here Wednesday night. We owe them a major thumping ... so we'll see. Our guys SHOULD be fired up!

So, who's YOUR team, fcg? :)

WHERE is techwife??? :^: She's one of our resident hockey nuts!!!

EZMoney, thank you for bumping us up, you RABID NHL fan!!! :D:D:D (Did you mention baseball? What is that? :p )

funnycanadiangirl
10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm a huge Oilers fan - what can I say, I love a good dynasty! Super bummed about the off-season coaching change though. I loved McT (a LOT, glad to see he got a job as a commentator), and I do NOT love Pat Quinn (the sight of him literally makes my blood boil!) I'm also a big fan of both Joe Thornton and Marty Brodeur, so I generally put good vibes out for the Sharks and Devils. lol

I'm excited for Olympic hockey - crazy pressure for the Canadian team this year! Should be exciting!

Yeah, the Staal's sod farm is right by my house. Actually, there are a TON of hockey players from the area where I grew up, we have one of the highest rates of NHL drafted players per capita- which is always funny in the off-season. I went to university in Ottawa, unfortunate home of the Senators, and if you were out at the bar when one of the Sens showed up, everyone FREAKED OUT. Except me, because back home, you run into a hockey player at least once a week all summer and nobody bats an eyelash. I won't lie to you, I generally cheer for Jordan to win the battle of the Staals!

Carolina's a good team though - I love Cam Ward. I hope he makes Team Canada. Not only is he talented, but cute, cute, cute!!!!!!

babenwaiting
10-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Isn't our Cammie just as cute as cute gets??? :D All the ladies here are quite sorry that he already has a wife! No matter how much you like Jordan Staal, do NOT pull for him this coming Wednesday night ... we need to THUMP them for that EC Final last Spring!!! Have tickets ... can't wait!

By the time we won the Cup in 2006, I have to tell you that I did not like your McT, and, to this day, detest Chris Pronger and Raffi Torres. BUT there were lots of nice Oiler fans that came down here for the series. We had a great time socializing and introducing them to tail-gating. We love the Canadian fans so come on down sometime! :)

funnycanadiangirl
10-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Oh honey, EVERYONE hates Pronger. He's a turn-coating scumbag. I hated him while he was playing for my team! He grew up a few towns over, and even people there think he's a jerk! lol!

Cam is super cute... not that it matters when you're a NHL player. I mean, Ovie looks like he got hit in the face with a shovel, but every girl I see him with is SMOKING hot! I mean, Dion Phaneuf is dating that chick from 24, and really, he's pretty goofy looking!

I love cute hockey players though... I'd totally run away with Joe Thornton if he asked! :)

mllek
10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I found this thread just as DH left to play his "B" league game tonight!

Didn't have NHL where we used to live (go Steelheads!) but now we're gonna try to get Flyers tickets! I'm so excited! I used to go to Kings games when I was a kid and I miss my hockey fix.

funnycanadiangirl
10-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Good call on the Flyers tickets! They've got a REALLY strong team this year. They're going to be playing really good hockey all season I think!

babenwaiting
10-12-2009, 11:29 AM
MillieK, hey there! So glad to have you with us, and hope you nail those Flyers tickets. Of course, I cannot stand them because of Pronger ... but that's just me! :p We play them the day after Christmas, and I'm going to get this-close seats in hopes of seeing our guys put him over the Boards! :mad: (My long memory still has pictures of what he and Torres did to Doug Weight in the 2006 finals!) But, I know, I know ... that's hockey! Welcome aboard to our "hockey train." :)

mllek
10-12-2009, 05:53 PM
I'd better check my "hockey mom" attitude at the door when we go to the NHL games. When my boys were playing city league, fighting would get them kicked off the ice - if not out of the game! So, I don't want to make the mistake I made at the last pro game I saw "Hey, boys! You cut that out! You know better! LOL Oops - not watching 10-year-olds anymore, am I?:o

I never bought into that things about hockey moms & pitbulls w/o lipstick or whatever. I was just like the soccer moms - except I was sitting in the freezing cold w/a cup of cocoa instead of in the spring sunshine with a mocha latte . . .:dizzy:

Don't get me wrong. Soccer is great. I mean, if you can't skate or can't figure out how to hold a hockey stick or you like wearing cute shorts & running around in the grass, then, hey! :devil:

Also, I was reading in this thread about baseball fans, too. I'm sure baseball can be fun. One time I was at an Angels game . . . and the score . . . and . . . outfielder . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

funnycanadiangirl
10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Oooh... for sure going to want to brace yourself and enjoy some physical hockey if you're going to see the Flyers. I'm anticipating at least 2 of their players getting suspended at some point this season for fighting and such...

It's going to be brutal, but they're so gritty and passionate. Just really good hockey...

EZMONEY
10-12-2009, 06:53 PM
You can't be serious MILLE....

there is plenty of blood in baseball...

just this week-end I saw one of my guys get cut opening a pack of sunflower seeds...I did...

babenwaiting
10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
EZ, of course, NHL players don't snack on sunflower seeds ... they snack on raw meat that they catch themselves! :o

Now, the Hurricanes are off to a 2 - 4 start ... not pretty, but their last game Wednesday night with Pittsburgh was fantastic. We lost in the shootout, so only got one point, but the game (I was THERE!) was fantastic with Cam Ward and Marc Andre Fleury putting on a show for the ages! They're playing away now for the next two weeks (our State Fair started yesterday!), so I hope they'll have a vastly improved record by the time they come back home.

Tomorrow night, we play the New Jersey Devils there (the guys we knocked out of the EC semi's last Spring.) They won't be happy with us ...

LET'S GO, 'CANES!!!

icmethinner
10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
mllek - I just have to say I love your avatar and your phrase "future former fat girl"! very cool and inspiring :)

funnycanadiangirl
10-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Oh, I love Marty Brodeur. Sorry about the Canes loss, but Marty's my idol. Better luck next time! Any games coming up against the Leafs? You're pretty much guaranteed to win those!! Lol! I am an ardent Leafs hater, and their excellent 0-6-1 start means I wake up every day with a smile! So wonderful!