Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #1  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Has anyone found a good "mouth occupier" besides chewing gum?

Hi all,

I have been binge eating for a couple of months now and have put on about 10 lbs. My pants are way too tight and I refuse to buy bigger ones.

I feel like I have a need to have something in my mouth all the time, so I'm trying to chew gum more in the hopes that it'll keep me from eating.
However, my teeth and jaw get a little sore from the gum chewing.
Has anyone found anything else that works to keep your mouth occupied???
I need a calorie free everlasting gobstopper

Thanks
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't chew gum , either I use Ice-Breakers Mints , sugar free ,less than 5 calories.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #3  
Lady-in-training!

S/C/G: Heaviest: 215/202/168/130

Height: 5'5"

Personally, something like mint leaves, coriander/cilantro bunches, turnips (ok, maybe that combo sounds gross, but my middle eastern family eats a lot of it) tastes refreshing to me, is very low in calories, and rids me of the urge to eat junk, or at least staves off hunger.

Maybe this particular combination doesn't appeal to you, but I'm sure there's some sort of green leafy veg. you can eat a ton of for very few calories, and find at least edible.

I know I've heard of people on these boards and elsewhere drinking plain iced coffee with maybe a splenda tossed in to keep away hunger.
gtech2mit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Gum is all that has worked for me. I like chewing ice but it's bad for my teeth.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I decided to break this habit by drinking water. The reason is that it is SO easy to replace gum with mints with M&Ms when things get tough. So I keep my eating to meals and to designated snacks. I gave up the gum habit for GOOD...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I use Crystal Light Sugar Free hard candies. I know the artificial sweetner ain't good for me but it has to beat a bag of potato chips any day
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280-->150

I go for sugar-free hard candies. The health foods section in my grocer has butterscotch and peppermint candies, about 5 calories each. Sucking on a hard candy takes awhile, so it keeps me occupied. When I need something more substantial to munch as a snack, I go for rice cakes or pretzels. But I have to be careful and portion out one serving, or I'll end up chewing through the whole bag.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #8  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

For me it's crushed ice. I have a cup of it at my desk all day long.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

eww. I hate artificial sweeteners. and most gum tastes like toothpaste. Plus gum tends to irritate my stomach if it's empty. It gets digestive juices flowing and then no food.

I agree with the water. I try to drink water to keep my mouth busy. I also like sipping on a green tea concoction that only has 20cs a glass. When I'm not in the mood for water.

Also ddc, I know it's controversial, but I find a eat/fast program resets my binge craze and gets rid of my need to eat uselessly for a time. maybe a day of only eating a few hours a day one day. I don't know why it works but fellow bingers agree it has worked for them too.

also we have a July binge free challenge thread if you need to feel supported and motivated.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I use all of the following:

Gum (I know it doesn't work for all but it works for me)
Water
Tea (hot or iced)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #11  
sugar is the devil

Have you tried brushing your teeth (everything - brush, floss, mouth wash). I find that since I just brushed my teeth thoroughly, I can't ruin it by eating something. Plus, I find that the mint aftertaste tastes AWFUL when you go and snack right after. And by the time the mint tastes goes away, so does my craving.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 183/162/149

Height: 5'7''

honestly ive been resorting to just putting in my retainers haha, the gum and sugar free hard candy work, but i end up having too much of THOSE and the sorbitol/fake sugar gives me bad stomach problems so theres really no alternative...if anyone has something better i too would be glad to hear it
goodday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #13  
ddc
getting back to 140

I have used the teeth brushing trick for late night after supper snacking, but not in the daytime. I'll give that a try.

I just looked at the store for sugar free candies and the ones that I found were 35 calories for 3 candies, so I passed.
I settled on tic-tacs and some grapes. Maybe I'll eat grapes instead of m&m's.

Jen, I did do the fast 5 intermitant fasting briefly. I lost a few lbs and then TOM hit and I never could get back into it.

Thanks everyone for the input and ideas. You're always helpful.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #14  
ddc
getting back to 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodday View Post
honestly ive been resorting to just putting in my retainers haha, the gum and sugar free hard candy work, but i end up having too much of THOSE and the sorbitol/fake sugar gives me bad stomach problems so theres really no alternative...if anyone has something better i too would be glad to hear it

I tried to put in my old retainer and it doesn't fit anymore (teeth have shifted).
I was considering having another one made.

I tried about a year ago wearing one of those mouth guard pieces that kids wear when they play sports.
It worked, but I couldn't talk very plainly and after a week or so, the roof of my mouth got irritated.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

omg, I never heard of using a retainer. ...I was going to suggest tooth whitening..I bought the dissolvable strips, but oh my gosh--I have to force myself to do it cause yucko!

ddc, I meant not for weight loss, sorry. I meant just for one day maybe in a week you are feeling particularly out of control--but not for your WOE.

Last edited by jendiet; 07-15-2009 at 09:28 PM.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote