Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #1  
MsE

S/C/G: 225/220/160

Height: 5ft 2

Default What should I do? low carb or surgery

I want to start off by saying hello to everyone, I am new here and could really use some support and advice.

I have been on many diets for many years now. I always manage to lose some weight but never in my belly area (the most dangerous). I have a friend that suggest I go on a low carb diet she says it good for losing belly fat, she has been on a low carb diet for a while and she looks great she claims she feel great.

I have been approved for gastric bypass because I am only 5ft 2 and my BMI is over 40 plus high blood pressure and diabetes runs on both sides of my family, I dont have any health issues because of my weight yet but I know it will eventually catch up with me if I dont get my weight under control.

I have reseached online and talked to people that have had gastric bypass and that are on a low carb diets and I understand both require a lifestyle change, commitment and dedication no matter which one I choose, I just dont know what to do.

I have been unsuccessful so many times, I dont know how much more failure I can take, I dont understand why cant I get this weight loss thing right.
MsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey MsE -

I can't advise you on either, because I haven't had Weight Loss Surgery or gone on a Low Carb plan...but I can point you toward people who have!

We have a wonderful Weight Loss Surgery forum here, with lots of people sharing their experiences about all different kinds of surgery, including Gastric Bypass. Many of them have been successful at losing weight and improving their health. We also have a great Carb Counters forum, with people on Atkins and a variety of other lower-carb plans, with ANOTHER batch of folks that have lost weight and improved health.

Of course, your options don't end with those two. We have success stories across many plans...calorie counting, South Beach, and everything in between. And a very interesting study emerged recently that said, among major plans (I don't think it looked at surgery), if the plan is based on healthy habits (and again, all the major plans are), and you follow it, it can work.

My advice would be to look at ALL of your options and consider what you can do and the changes you can make for the rest of your life. That may lead you to any number of paths...low carb, low calorie, surgical intervention, etc.

You DEFINITELY can do this, and we have a great support group here no matter which way you decide to go. Look around, read a bit, and ask questions, jump on in, and get going.

Can't wait to get to know you better!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Surgery should always be a last resort, just because of the complications that arise from it.

Try low carb, try low calories, low fat, etc. It's just my belief that surgery should always be 100% necessary just because of how risky it is. Good luck!
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC!

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi, Welcome to 3FC. Any reasonable plan will help you take off the weight. WLS is not a cure, and I have seen many people gain back the majority of the weight they have lost by resorting back to what got them there to begin with. The real secret to losing weight is total commitment, dedication and perseverance. If you screw up, fix it. Don't wallow in the self pity of a "cheat". Just keep going. You are not a failure if you eat a bowl of ice cream... You fail when that bowl of ice cream becomes becomes the reason you quit trying.

I carried the bulk of my weight in my stomach as well. I have gone from 54" (at the navel) to 30". I've lost 2 foot from my stomach by counting calories...and abstaining from alcohol. I did have a beer belly in the true sence of the phrase.

Okay, sorry, I tend to preach a little...lol Again, welcome. Stick around.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 07-14-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You have some great advice here, especially mandalinn and sunflower and LoriBell.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #7  
No description available.

Ditto checking out the WLS forum! Great advice from smart chickies over there.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #8  
MsE

S/C/G: 225/220/160

Height: 5ft 2

Thanks everyone the advice, it really made me think, I decided to hold off on weight loss surgery and really concentrate on what I am eating and take time to exercise everyday. I know I can do this, I just need to try harder and be a little more realistic.
MsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #9  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Lori Bell said it well. It comes down to committment, self love, perserverence and patience. You didn't gain it overnight, so you won't lose it overnight. Eating less and moving more are the keys to long term success. Incorporating healthier food choices will help you get on the right track with less cravings for junk. Search around 3FC, as there is great advice and supportive groups all over.

Welcome!
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #10  
I wish!

S/C/G: 185/136/135

Height: 5'6''

Surgery should always be the last resort. You might be surprised how much you're able to lose on diet alone. Good Luck!!
StringBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/183/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Both

I think that if I were in your shoes I would do the surgery but you are going to have to perfectly folly the food pyramid and doctors orders to actually lose and keep it off.

I wish you the very best!
ajowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #12  

Welcome to 3FC! As you can see, this is a great place for support and advice. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #13  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsE View Post
Thanks everyone the advice, it really made me think, I decided to hold off on weight loss surgery and really concentrate on what I am eating and take time to exercise everyday. I know I can do this, I just need to try harder and be a little more realistic.
As someone that started out at a very similar weight (and started this journey at age 50), I can tell you that it is very possible to lose that weight through changing your lifestyle.

That being said, it does take planning and commitment. You absolutely CAN do this! 3FC is a great place for support and advice!

Personally, I like calorie counting, but any plan will work if you stick with it!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #14  
From the Beach to Montana

S/C/G: 350/322/199

Height: 6' 4"

Hi and welcome to 3FC!
Montana Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #15  
From the Beach to Montana

S/C/G: 350/322/199

Height: 6' 4"

welcome to 3FC!