Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

Default Starting out with rollerblading...

So I’ve been trying to lose weight for about a year now, and while I’ve been mildly successful, I now have the opportunity to truly take advantage of my surroundings and go for it as I have been hoping to for quite some time now.

It comes down to getting myself motivated and willing to get up out of the house and away from the computer. (I have a writing hobby, and the computer is where I do it.) I’m nineteen and had a year of college and have known the ups and downs of being the overweight kid in the family all of my life. I’m done with that stage, and I’m attempting to feel out my life right now and this is a big part of how I want my life to change.

I want to incorporate outside activities from hiking and rollerblading, to swimming and running into my life. I want to be able to have this things in my life weekly, as I’m a huge outdoor enthusiast, albeit an overweight and lazy one. Being outdoors is something that is essential for my happiness; I can always tell the difference when I’ve spent too long inside.

Another part of my life that I want to change is how I eat. I’m a huge fan of eating raw foods and obtaining as much nutrients from that as possible, without cooking. This includes meats; I’ve been eating raw meats spontaneously since I was around fifteen. I’m planning on slowly changing over my diet from mostly cooked to mostly raw over the next couple of years or so.

Anyway, I’ve been saving up and I really want try out rollerblading. It’s been so long since I’ve owned my own pair of blades and it had always been a fun activity for me, though I remember it being very tiring; I.e. physically taxing. I’m really excited about being able to get my own roller blades and starting out, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the type of blades to get.

Some important things about me physically when considering blades are that:
-I have weak ankles, particularly my right ankle. (I was pushed off a bunk bed in the ninth grade and when I fell, I literally landed ON my ankle from four feet in the air; no break, but a horrifically bad sprain)
-My calves are freaking huge; I don’t say this in a bad sense, as I really have no issue with them mentally. But fact is fact. I cannot fit my calves easily into rain boots or furry boots or really, boots of any kind that go past my ankles.
-I’m very top heavy, I don’t know if that would affect anything as far as rollerblading goes. Like balance. LOL.
-I’ve recently started a new job at a grocery store where I’m a bagger. I’m on my feet for six hours at a time, two of which I’m running carts for. It’s my first REAL job, and my feet are still getting used to it. It’s part time and it’s been about three weeks, but when I get home and sit down for a long period of time, it feels like I’m crippled when I get back up; it hurts SO much when I walk for the first few times I get up.

So, anyone have any recommendations/advice? Particularly anyone that uses rollerblading as a form of exercise; I’m very interested in what blades and routines you use. I could really use recommendations as far as what roller blades people think are the best/most supportive/beginner/etc. Aside from that, I’m open for any discussion as well concerning other factors. =]

Last edited by birdtostone; 07-11-2009 at 10:53 PM.
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #2  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Bird,

I'm a quad skater, not a rollerblader, but I've heard good things about the K2 skates, as far as an outdoor recreational skate. That would probably be your best bet if your ankles are not that strong. There are low cut speed boots/skates, with Bont being the most affordable/best beginner skate out there, but they don't have the ankle support, so with a weak ankle like the formerly sprained one, those aren't likely a good idea. You could go to quads, if you're comfortable with them...you at least don't have to constantly balance those to keep your ankles straight, which is why I use them, but also because I'm old and never really got the hang of inlines.

If you go to a skating rink, they would most likely have inline skates there for sale, and also for renting. You could try some on, to see which ones you like best, before you buy. K2s can sometimes be found on sale at sporting goods stores, like Gart Sports, GI Joe's, or similar outdoor sporting goods stores. Oh, Big5 is usually a good resource to check out, too, as they are always marking stuff down to clearance prices.

Have fun with the skating!

PS- on the swollen ankles, if that is what you mean by "huge", try some plain old rubbing alcohol. Standing or sitting for long periods causes poor circulation and fluid will pool in the ankles like that. Other causes are a high sodium diet, so you might start noticing the sodium content of the foods you are eating. Anyway, after work, or right before bed, pour a little rubbing alcohol onto your ankles, rub it in with both hands, and do the lower legs as well. It works some juju on it and gets that fluid out of there. You can do it in the morning, too, and that will help, but most helpful is to cut back on sodium in the diet, and try not to sit or stand still any longer than necessary..if you have a choice at work, take as many cart runs as you can, anything that keeps you moving will help. Switch out your computer chair for a nice big exercise/swiss ball once in a while...that will remind you not to slouch, and you can move on it a little, to keep your legs a little less likely to cramp up or get all swollen.

Good shoes are also a must, for work like that. They might be ugly, but that's why nurses and waitresses wear special shoes. At least go with a well padded and supportive running shoe, or any shoe you find gets you through the day without killing your feet, like you may be able to do well in berkenstocks, crocs or chacos, depending on the fit...the crocs actually kill my feet, but other folks rave on them, so I'm sure it's just about what fits, what cushions you from the hard surfaces, and supports your arch/foot in a way that's comfortable for you.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I like quad skates too. You won't really find something that works the entire leg like that does!!! I like to rollerskate with my son except around here there are lots of scary hills!

I don't have any suggestions on good skates, just wanted to tell you I hope y ou have lots of fun!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote