Weight Loss Support - Mmmm...Bacon...

View Full Version : Mmmm...Bacon...

Onederchic
07-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Before I started this journey, bacon was a staple in my diet and the only pork product I ate. I haven't had any bacon in over 6 months. My boyfriend doesn't get off work until midnight so I normally get to bed at 1:30 am. Last night I was awaken by an awful smell. I got up and followed my nose which led me into the kitchen where my boyfriend was making himself blts. I was totally amazed and happy that not only did the bacon stink to me but also when I saw it laying there glinting and crispy..I wasn't the least bit turned on to eat it. I like to believe that my love for bacon has passed and I am so happy happy for that. I use to eat a pack of it every 2 days but never again :nono::D

Okay, I just wanted to share my happiness. You can all return to your regularly scheduled 3FC surfing :D.

Hugs
Michelle

time2lose
07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Congratulations, that is a big step! Bacon can stink up the whole house can't it?

Onederchic
07-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Yes it can and thank you so much!! :hug::hug:

midwife
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
That's great that your tastes have changed! I admit that I still love the way bacon smells, but I only have it every 4 months or so now, if even that.

Moralia
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
That's awesome!!! You're doing such an awesome job, truly an inspiration!!! :carrot:

jendiet
07-10-2009, 10:08 AM
well, since I switched to turkey bacon-which I love--I don't ever smell that in my house--turkey bacon smells really good when it's being cooked though.

Thighs Be Gone
07-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I still love the smell of bacon and even eat it at times. One or two slices isn't so bad. Now cooking a pound of bacon and then scrambling eggs in the grease IS bad. As a southern girl, I have done it many a time--but it is most definitely part of my past.

Onederchic
07-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I am a southern girl too, born and bred.

For me, when it comes to foods I once loved and craved, when I am able to look at them and have the strength inside myself to walk away because it is no longer appealing makes me feel so happy and proud of myself :)

Onederchic
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
That's awesome!!! You're doing such an awesome job, truly an inspiration!!! :carrot:

Thank you so much! :hug::hug:

Pita09
07-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I used to eat a lot of bacon as well and have switched to turkey bacon. I cook it in the microwave and it comes out crispy and it really is very tasty.

blueenough
07-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Several years ago I lost 50 lbs with calorie counting/low fat diet. Prior to that, my weakness was french fries/chips/really anything fried. After my weight loss, I went out to greasy fast food place, ordered my old favorite all fried plate. I spent the next 16 hours in the bathroom with excruciating stomach cramps.

I wish I still had that 50 lbs off my body. Guess I should have kept listening to what the bod was trying to tell me. :dizzy:

Shannon in ATL
07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
That is awesome! I wish I could turn off my love for bacon... :)

Onederchic
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Thank you :hug:

beerab
07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I won't lie I still enjoy a slice or two now and then.

Come on it's bacon- when you cook it the pan applauds- how amazing is that?! lol ;)

MotoMichelle
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Way to go! That is awesome that your tastes have changed.

I don't have have pork bacon too often, but when I do I enjoy it. At home we always cook turkey bacon which I like a lot. Much less greasy!

Onederchic
07-10-2009, 01:58 PM

I have never tried turkey bacon but maybe someday I will :)

grneyedmustang
07-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Trader Joe's has really good Turkey Bacon. MMMM.

better health3
07-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm happy for you. Counting calories has totally changed my thinking. At a breakfast buffet, I would eat many pieces of bacon....yuck.

Last night was the first time I went out to dinner in two and a half months. The typical appetizers of potato skins, fried chicken, mozerella sticks...did not even appeal to me in the least. That is--in no way--worth all those calories and trans fats. More importantly, it takes too many minutes trying to burn all that food off. I was not even tempted.

kiramira
07-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Ms Chic, I so TOTALLY get that it isn't about the BACON. Your post is about how a food that called your name in the past is now absolutely unappealing to you now. And that is a result of hard work and changes in your fundamental tastes, but it must seem like a gosh-darned MIRACLE!!! And I appreciate it and I LOVE the post.

I hope the same thing happens to me with some of my old food loves, and your story gives me hope that with time and consistency, those foods that call my name will soon be dialing the wrong number...:lol:

Kira

Jacquie668
07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Haha I love this thread. While I don't enjoy bacon, never did, and I don't eat meat (don't like it) I did eat a lot of sugary things. When my birthday would come around I would want a cake, you know the butter cream, colorful kind, with oodles of icing. Funny thing was after I did my juice feast I couldn't look at sugar the same way again. This past Christmas I had to make a cake with a family friend. It was one of those yule logs, I was responsible for the butter cream, so I'm mixing it and man...did that not look appetizing to me. Couldn't even bring myself to touch it! hahahahaha

I didn't have any cake, wasn't even tempted...I'm amazed at even today, I look at things like cupcakes and other cakey things and I don't want it. It is all just too sugary for me now. Funny how things change! When you realize it, in the moment, you kind of stand there and go "huh, i wonder how that happened?" lol

Onederchic
07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Jacquie668 - Getting past that desire for a food is a completely amazing feeling, right? :D

Kira - Thanks so much. You're the bestest ♥

EZMONEY
07-10-2009, 08:25 PM
AWESOME!!

Angie made me switch to turkey bacon years ago...fought it for a bit...but now the regular is "nasty" to me...but not all turkey bacon is good tasting either!

Great work....run from it all...go girl....go

Onederchic
07-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Hehe, thanks so much EZMONEY:hug:

EZMONEY
07-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Hehe, thanks so much EZMONEY:hug:

You are quite welcome dear!

And seriously, nothing wrong with having a good 'ol turkey/bacon/lettuce/tomato sandwich on whole wheat....nothing at all...

it is that old school favorite of the greasy bacon that hurts...in more ways than one!

It is just so cool now...I can have the bacon flavor w/o all the grease...and enjoy it!

whowouddathunkit ;)

Tealeaf
07-11-2009, 03:02 AM
I must be made of different stuff than the majority of you. Bacon still smells good to me. I like the taste of cake. I want fried chicken. I haven't lost my enjoyment for any of the old foods I used to gorge myself on.

But I have learned to enjoy new things as well. Crisp crackers with hummus or tuna and lemon juice? Yum. Simple roasted potatoes instead of a mound of greasy au gratin? Just as good, though I could still eat the au gratin and enjoy it. Korean style lettuce wraps or a big juicy burger? Both wonderful, though the later is a much more sensible choice.

I do notice that my sense of portions has changed. If I do eat fried chicken, which is very rare these days, I'm happy with two pieces instead of 3 or 4 like I used to eat.

I'm glad for those of you who have learned to dislike heavy foods, but I doubt if I will ever be in your camp.

rockinrobin
07-11-2009, 07:45 AM
For me, when it comes to foods I once loved and craved, when I am able to look at them and have the strength inside myself to walk away because it is no longer appealing makes me feel so happy and proud of myself :)

As well you should! You have every reason to be be happy, thrilled, ecstatic and incredibly, incredibly proud of yourself! I can relate. After having spent decades feeling that I had ZERO control over most foods, then having found that control is an AMAZING feeling - and feels better then any of that food ever tasted.

Bravo for you. :bravo::cp::cp::bravo:

Madison
07-11-2009, 08:11 AM
You're a rockstar Michelle!!!! :)

bacilli
07-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Congratulations on walking away from an old staple!:hug:

Onederchic
07-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks so so much everyone! :D :hug:

flatiron
07-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Bacon is not so bad if you only eat a couple of slices and pat it down with a paper towel and get the excess oil off it but my problem was I could not stop at a couple of slices. If I am making BLT's I can easily eat most of the whole package and as a result I just don't eat it anymore. I can't remember the last time I had it but I do use bacon bits in my salad but they are only 50 calories per tablespoon.

Now I see they have already cooked ready to eat bacon in the meat section of the grocery store. I keep far away from it when I see it!

Also way to go you are looking great! :carrot:

Onederchic
07-11-2009, 12:30 PM
flatiron - Thank you so much!! :D :hug:

Windchime
07-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm glad for those of you who have learned to dislike heavy foods, but I doubt if I will ever be in your camp.

Yeah, me too. It would be so much easier (or so it seems) if I knew that french fries would make me sick for the rest of the day! But I have a garbage gut and can eat just about anything when I want it. Cake, bacon, cookies, Doritos--I like 'em all. The only one that I eat right now is, oddly enough, bacon. I buy the center cut and just have a couple of pieces and it fits right into my plan. I'm not tempted to overdo on bacon, so that's why I can still eat it. The other things, though--they are currently banned from the house.

EveLHaelf
07-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Congrats, girl! It's really awesome when your tastes change! Keep up the good work!:D

chavwright
07-12-2009, 12:12 AM
That's so great! Isn't it funny how our tastes change as we get healthier. I am nowhere near where you are, but I feel that every day, I am less interested in Oreos. :)

dragonwoman64
07-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Getting past that desire for a food is a completely amazing feeling, right? :D

it made me smile to read this because I could feel your happiness, congrats!

that pic of you in the pants is amazing. I love it.

Onederchic
07-12-2009, 03:17 PM
dragonwoman64 -

Thank you so much! :hug:

Lissus
07-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Come on it's bacon- when you cook it the pan applauds- how amazing is that?! lol ;)

OMG LOL!!!!! Dats funnnny!!