Old 07-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/135/120

Height: 5 ft. 4 in.

Default frustrated

I'm no stranger to diet/exercise but new to the message boards and am in need of advice/encouragement. I started training for a marathon in May and since have been watching calories in an effort to lose weight and fuel my current activity level (I run about 25-30 miles a week, cross train 2 days a week and weight train 2 days a week. I eat 1800 calories a day 50% carbs, 20% protein & 30% fat-per another diet website recommendations.) I initially lost 5 pounds and in the last week I have gain 3 back...For NO reason! Grrrr...I realize I may be putting on muscle (which I'm not wild about-I've always been too muscular by my standards) but I am so frustrated that I'm being so careful about my diet and exercise and not reaping the benefits of my hard work. I'm also leary of the weight loss/ muscle gain theory because my clothes are not fitting any differently. Is it possible I'm not eating enough calories to fuel my current activity level therefore my body is refusing to "give up the fat?" I'm open to adding more calories, cutting more calories or continuing what I'm doing-just not sure where to go from here. I'm open to your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks so much!!

Last edited by Runnergirl93; 07-07-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Runnergirl93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #2  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

It could be water retention from training or hormones. It could also be possible that you are eating too many calories. I have read from lots of folks on here who also train for long-distance running that they actually put on a few pounds during training from over eating. My suggestion - cut back by 100 calories and see if that helps. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I'd also ease up on the carbs and add more protein. It will help you build muscle for sure.

Lastly, you are a healthy weight so it could be possible that your body is happy where it's at. I'm not sure. Dieting is such a guessing game that sometimes it takes time to work out the kinks! Good luck!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

yeah i agree that you might be eating too much. I have heard that the last few pounds, esp. when you are already a healthy weight, are really hard to get rid of and you have to drop your intake to quite a low level to get them to budge. Maybe check out the feather weights forum? they might have some ideas
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote