Old 07-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #1  
Almost there! 7lbs to go!

S/C/G: 165/137/130

Height: 5'8"

Default Calories in spare ribs??

Can someone please tell me how many calories are in spare ribs & about how many ribs that would be?

Thanks very much!

PS - I know ribs are horrible for me, but we only have them 2x per year, so hey...
Moralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/nutriti...nly_eaten.html
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #3  

Thanks *SO* much!! The numbers I was finding were WAY off!!
Old 07-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

You're very welcome

Enjoy your ribs
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think the number discrepancy is probably due to the variability fat content in ribs if the fat isn't removed. Even in the same cut, the fat content and ease of removing can vary quite a bit. Sometimes the fat is easy to remove, and sometimes it's so marbled in with the meat, there's no way to remove it.

The difficulty is in removing the fat (as the link mentions the calorie count is for ribs with the fat removed).

I love ribs, but I admit that the pork fat is the best part for me (assuming it's marbled in with the meat, I'm no so fond of huge meatless hunks of fat), so I tend to use the calorie counting resources that figures in the fat. I use an exchange method of counting calories, so there's a bit more "wiggle room," but I've found it easier to use leaner cuts of meat to barbecue, because I find it hard to resist the pork fat (as Emeril says "pork fat rules!")
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #6  

Ahhhh... That makes sense! Well I ended up having 3 ribs... They were scrumptious!! Yum! I cut off the extra fat... Don't like that stuff... Ick! So overall I think I'm ok...

Thanks for your reply, Kapolds!!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #7  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

I cut off all the accessible fat and I slow cook them so much of the marbled fat gets rendered out so I feel like what I had yesterday was not a big deal. I also don't use sauce I prefer a good dry rub so you can really appreciate the flavour of the meat.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinny View Post
I cut off all the accessible fat and I slow cook them so much of the marbled fat gets rendered out so I feel like what I had yesterday was not a big deal. I also don't use sauce I prefer a good dry rub so you can really appreciate the flavour of the meat.
Never ever thought to crock-pot them! I will next time, thanks! Have a recipe for a good dry rub, or can you reccomend one? I always use Bullseye BBQ sauce..
Old 07-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #9  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

I actually cook them on a broiler pan, wrapped in foil with holes punched in the bottom so the fat can drip into the broiler pan away from the meat. 200-250 for 3-4 hours. The meat just falls off the bone once they are done. I mean literally melt in your mouth.

I make my dry rub by putting a teaspoon of each dry spice per serving of ribs, (usually like 1 tablespoon per rack) of Rosemary, Thyme, peppercorns, paprika, dried onions, garlic powder and kosher salt into a coffee grinder I just use for spices. I grind it all up into a coarse powder and rub it into the meat on all sides before cooking. Sometimes I throw in some Marjoram, red pepper flakes, or a pinch of allspice or Turmeric depending on my mood and what I am serving with the ribs.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote