Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Default new to gym, questions

I recently joined a fitness center and I'm new to doing any kind of fitness stuff. At the moment I am limited as to what I can do-physical therapists orders.
But she did say I could do the 'fit @ any age' and PiYo (which says, 'all fitness levels'). And I've been doing the Feldenkrais class for a couple weeks.

My question is
what kind of shoes and clothes do I need for these classes?
I've read that I need to basically wear looser pants but need to wear a top that will show what my muscles are doing.
Any opinions, recommendations? I have a pair of walking shoes but not sure that I will even be wearing them doing the PiYo. They are rather heavy and would like to find a more lighter, more comfortable pair but htese may have to do for now. Money is tight.

I've left a message for the PiYo instructor to call me.

also, I'm totally confused about when to eat and exercise-before, after?

Help!
Oh 2 be me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

My biggest recommendation to you is wear what you'll be comfortable in. If you're not comfortable in a tank top feel free to wear a loose tshirt. Especially when you're just getting used to working out in a gym setting it's important for you to feel at ease. For shoes you want something comfortable for standing in with good traction. I think gyms may prefer non dark soles which can scuff the floor but feel free to ask.

As for food it really depends on what time of day you're working out at, what kind of activity you'll be doing and things like that. I would think at entry level how ever you normally eat would be fine just don't go to the class with a really full belly and don't be suprised if you're extra hungry afterwards. Just try to remember to keep it healthy for the rest of the day.

Good luck!!
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

For sure wear something cool and comfy. If you can try to get the new dry wick clothing, they are awesome because when you sweat it just evaporates away. They sell this dry weave clothing just about anywhere now, WalMart, Zellers etc. it comes in tshirts, socks, pants, shorts. If your going to be serious about working out you should have an appropriate pair of running/walking/cross training shoes.

As for food everyone is different, we learn by trial and error. But the best rule of thumb to start is something light, a carb and light protein an hour before your workout and eat afterwards too to fuel the muscles that need to be replenished with something like a fruit and some protein again...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote