Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

Default Binge eating and grinding teeth

Odd topic I know but I was at the dentist yesterday and he noticed I've been grinding my teeth in my sleep so he wants to make a mouth guard for me. So I googled to check what that may look like and found a few web pages mention teeth grinding can lead to eating disorders but I can't find any more information that that.

Does anyone else with a binge eating disorder grind their teeth? Are they linked in some way? How would teeth grinding cause eating disorders? I've noticed since I stopped binge eating I've started grinding my teeth more again. Trying to find more information then I can deal with both my binge eating and my teeth grinding.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #2  

I am also a binge eater and teeth grinder.Didnt know there was a connection.I have 2 close friends who are dentists and will ask.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrismm View Post
I am also a binge eater and teeth grinder.Didnt know there was a connection.I have 2 close friends who are dentists and will ask.
I do wonder if it's more a link than one causing the other - people binge eat because of frustration and stress, people grind teeth because of frustration and stress but would found it helpful to know if one does cause the other. I can't remember if my binge eating got out of control first or I started teeth grinding first.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

I, too, binge eat and grind my teeth. Seems like it's chicken/egg thing, although I do know that I've been a teeth grinder since I was little and only started binge eating (that I know of) since around 2002.
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

The only link between grinding your teeth (bruxism) and binge eating episodes is a common link with each to stress and anxiety disorders. Grinding your teeth at night doesn't mean that this is a cause for binge eating or eating disorders, or vice versa. It just means that stress and anxiety can manifest itself as bruxism (tooth grinding) and/or emotionally-based binge eating episodes/eating disorders...and treating the bruxism won't treat the binging. In fact, if one stops binging but doesn't treat the anxiety/emotional underpinnings, there may be an increase in bruxism, and vice versa. Treating the underlying emotional issues including stress and anxiety disorder management may resolve both...
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-29-2009 at 01:55 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #6  
Looking for a waist!

S/C/G: 263/248/163

Height: 5'9"

I know that grinding has a lot to do with stress, so it's a natural connection that one with enough stress to grind their teeth subconsciously would probably also use food as a coping mechanism for stress.

On a side note, if your insurance will cover most of a dentist fit nightguard--do it! The dentist made ones are so much nicer than the ones you can get at Target or something. I never wore the make it at home ones from Target because they were so intrusive, but the dentist made one only goes on my two front teeth, so I wear it all the time and have gotten much relief from it. Except, I now find myself grinding unconsciously during the day!
elle w 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:15 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle w 19 View Post
I know that grinding has a lot to do with stress, so it's a natural connection that one with enough stress to grind their teeth subconsciously would probably also use food as a coping mechanism for stress.

On a side note, if your insurance will cover most of a dentist fit nightguard--do it! The dentist made ones are so much nicer than the ones you can get at Target or something. I never wore the make it at home ones from Target because they were so intrusive, but the dentist made one only goes on my two front teeth, so I wear it all the time and have gotten much relief from it. Except, I now find myself grinding unconsciously during the day!
I'm in the UK and qualify for free NHS treatment so getting a mouth guard from the dentist for free I grind in the day anyway - have started biting on my tongue to stop any further damage to my teeth - painful but better than more broken teeth!!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
The only link between grinding your teeth (bruxism) and binge eating episodes is a common link with each to stress and anxiety disorders. Grinding your teeth at night doesn't mean that this is a cause for binge eating or eating disorders, or vice versa. It just means that stress and anxiety can manifest itself as bruxism (tooth grinding) and/or emotionally-based binge eating episodes/eating disorders...and treating the bruxism won't treat the binging. In fact, if one stops binging but doesn't treat the anxiety/emotional underpinnings, there may be an increase in bruxism, and vice versa. Treating the underlying emotional issues including stress and anxiety disorder management may resolve both...
Kira
That's what I thought - I so need to find a better way to deal with anxiety and stress....exercise gets rid of about 25% of my anxiety so I'm motivated to stick with that...but yes when I don't binge eat I teeth grind and when I don't teeth grind I binge eat.