Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Corn syrup

View Full Version : Corn syrup

chickiegirl
05-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know what the difference is between high fructose corn syrup and just corn syrup?

I know HFCS is bad and should be avoided since it's just more sugar. I presume corn syrup is the same regarding sugar, but not sure if it is OK in some measure.

I noticed the Healthy Choice pasta sauce I usually buy, which is pretty good in a lot of areas, has corn syrup listed as an ingredient midway down the list. The organic sauce doesn't, which makes me think this is just another additive to avoid.

freakiel
05-09-2009, 11:44 AM
HFCS isn't "bad". it IS sugar. so as long as its done in moderation, just like sugar (or pretty much anything else in the world), its perfectly fine.

JulieJ08
05-09-2009, 01:27 PM
*Maybe*, but if you eat processed foods everyday, it's in practically everything.

freakiel
05-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Well that's why you don't eat processed foods constantly. It isn't the HFCS itself that is damaging, its the abuse of it. Its like any other ingredient in anything else.

Bumbleberry
05-11-2009, 01:50 AM
I disagree. Some studies have shown that HFCS bypasses your body's indicators letting you know when you are getting full/satisfied. It has to do with the way it is digested -- it's digested differently than glucose.

http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/3021.html

But to answer your original question: from what I understand, the term "corn syrup" can vary between countries. In Canada, we have some "corn syrups" that contain glucose. So, your body would digest part of it in a similar manner to that of other glucose-sugars (table sugar, for instance). HFCS, on the other hand, is highly processed. It bypasses all natural means of our bodies' way of saying "stop! that's enough, I'm full".

Ija
05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
HFCS isn't "bad". it IS sugar. so as long as its done in moderation, just like sugar (or pretty much anything else in the world), its perfectly fine.

I think this is a matter of opinion. At present, there is research to support a number of contrasting viewpoints.