Old 05-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #1  

Default Question on Crystal Light

I know that Medifast recommends for us to drink pure water. Yet, with only 5 calories and 10mg of Na, I am really puzzled why the emphasis is on plain water, when Crystal Light nearly adds nothing to a bottle of water. By my 'potty calls', I would say that Crystal Light in water is doing its 'thing' for me. Can anyone give me an explanation or some insight, as to what I might be doing wrong. Thanks!
sunnywarmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #2  
the 20 year old wonder.

S/C/G: 186.2/182/130

Height: 5'7''

From what I understand, your bodies has to put extra energy in to purifying the liquid in to water, therefore they recommend water. However, I drank mixed in powders a lot, it was much easier for me to get all my water that way. In my mind, it was better for me to drink 2 bottles of water and 3 bottles of crystal light than just 2 bottles of water.
freakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #3  

Thank you for your input. I agree with you that it is better to flavor the water than to have a difficult time getting plain water down! It will be easier drinking plain water once the hot season is upon us. I just moved up from Florida and when I was on Medifast three years ago, I had no trouble getting down the plain water. Thanks, again!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #4  
it's always something

The official recommendation is "fluid", not specifically water. I'm not referring to Medifast recommendations, just to the medical professionals. The recommendation for xx glasses of "water" dates back to a time when it was believed easier to just say water than to try to explain what all counted as fluid. The body recognizes fluid content in water and flavored water the same way, and it also recognizes the fluid content in fruit and other foods.

I love water, and agree that warm weather helps us drink more. I keep a glass jug of filtered water in the fridge at all times. Tastes fantastic that way
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #5  

Thank you for the info, Suzanne! Medifast requires 8 glasses, but if I get six in, whether plain or with Crystal Light, this old lady here, is doing pretty good! LOL! Thanks again, for clarifying, appreciate!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #6  
Let's go LEAN!

S/C/G: 185/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Actually, I've read on the Medifast boards from the nutrition support that it is because the carb count in Crystal light can add up. They are allowed to report 0 carbs if it's under 1 g.- but it still has .5g carb per serving, so those add up with having 8-12 8oz-servings... I limit myself to just one on-the-go packet per day and use half of it for my 30 oz. water jug.

Last edited by AshleyA; 05-06-2009 at 03:17 PM.
AshleyA is offline   Reply With Quote